RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   XYZ 20cc engines from Valley View (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/11251231-xyz-20cc-engines-valley-view.html)

ahicks 01-29-2013 05:31 AM

RE: XYZ 20cc engines from Valley View

ORIGINAL: Lifer

This may sound like heresy, but most of these engines can be smoothed out a little by running a little less advance. I have a DLE 20 in a TF AT-6 and run it at 24 degrees btdc. It made a difference. I found this out when I had a CRRC 26 that ran really rough. I discovered that it came from the factory with 48 degrees of advance. Ran/idled rough as heck. I brought it down to 28 degrees and it was much better. So I dropped it down to 20 degrees before it started to lose power. I split the difference at 24 degrees. Now if I have a shaker, I retard the timing a little bit til it smooths out. Yeah, I lose a little rpm, but the airframes don't see as much abuse. I'm not into total speed anymore and a few hundred rpm really doesn't make that much difference.

Best regards.
Regarding the rough running, and the potential loss of a couple hundred rpm, good point. These gassers shake enough to make me crazy. Would be worth a couple hundred rpm to reduce it? Will be looking further into that on one of mine to see what happens. -Thanks!

Mpizpilot 02-02-2013 02:04 PM

Took a short video of my newest XYZ today. This is the first time I ran this one. Prop is xoar 16x8. Pennzoil 32:1. Outside temp is 25f. Max rpm was in the 7700 range, idles down around 2200. I expect a little lower as it loosens up. Sorry up front about the video quality. Trying to work the radio, tach and camera was a juggling act.

http://youtu.be/78X0hKv1ZcI

SigMan 02-02-2013 04:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Mpizpilot

Took a short video of my newest XYZ today. This is the first time I ran this one. Prop is xoar 16x8. Pennzoil 32:1. Outside temp is 25f. Max rpm was in the 7700 range, idles down around 2200. I expect a little lower as it loosens up. Sorry up front about the video quality. Trying to work the radio, tach and camera was a juggling act.

http://youtu.be/78X0hKv1ZcI
it sounds pretty darn good. i have one, yet to install it.

armody 02-14-2013 02:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Guys,

First off, I'd like to thank y'all for giving me some of your best advices regarding this motor. Just now I have ordered my XYZ 20cc motor through Tom at ValleyView RC. He'd been excellent over the phone he's the designer of this motor. With shipping and all it would cost me $200, not a bad deal though.:D I have also bought Pennzoil Outdoor 2-Cycle Air-Cooled oil for break in which is 8 oz bottle. Once the 2 gallons run through the motor, then I'd switch to synthetic oil probably same Klotz as I have been using.

The plane I'm installing it on is Seagull Model's MXS-R 120 plane. It's a beautiful fast flying plane in my opinion. I'm going to use Xoar 17X6 for break in as this is the prop I'm gonna use for it to fly is it OK? And What servos do you guys suggest?

Here are the pix of the box for my plane. Motor should be delivered next week and I would post the pix of it too:D

Thanks

Mody

armody 02-14-2013 02:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Please also help me with the Pennzoil oil. The bottle is 8 FL oz. How many gallons do I have to burn through this motor with Pennzoil oil, 2 Gallons? What would be the ratio of this oil should I be using for two gallons? 32:1 or less than that? How many fluid oz should I be using of this oil?

Thanks

Mody

Indiomike 02-14-2013 02:56 PM

A 32/1 mixture is 4 oz per gallon of gas. Therefore your bottle is good for 2 gallons of mixed gas. That should be sufficient for the ring to break in. The 17/6 prop is an excellent prop for this engine.

armody 02-14-2013 03:15 PM

Thanks Indiomike:) How's your XYZ going so far? Any video have you uploaded on youtube Mike? Or anyone else?

I think the plane is gonna be fast, since it looks like a racer to me. I wanted to get Seagull Edge 540 120, but It would have to be ordered and I've paid almost $30 less for this plane thru my LHS, so it's been a great deal for me. I hope XYZ is gonna be a great choice for this plane with Xoar 17X6. I wanted to get Seagull's Edge 540 180 with 77" wing span, and wanted to get MLD 35 from VVRC or DLE30 for it, due to my budget, I thought naah, it's OK, I should spend according to my pocket. The purpose of getting XYZ is the price, plus designed by Tom of VVRC, it has Walbro carb, Rcxcel igntion, spark plug and all plus I wanted to be little away from DLE20, since I'm already using it and it's still new, needs some setting, hopefully this Saturday I'm gonna fly my Yak 54 with DLE20. Once it's completely broken in, it would rock.

Anyway, I hope I won't be disappointed with the purchase of XYZ20 and it would be a bang for a buck!

With Seagull's Edge 540 180, I'd someday hopefully try DA-50 The American Pride. I love that motor, and someday I'd have that:D

Thanks

Mody

denney47 02-14-2013 04:43 PM

Thank you guys for the good post about our engine.<div>I have had several people ask about a pitts style muffler for this engine.</div><div>Any pitts style that will fit the DLE-20 will fit this engine.</div><div>Thanks</div><div>Tom</div>

SigMan 02-15-2013 03:55 PM

do you know if this will work ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140896468831

Mpizpilot 02-15-2013 05:30 PM

ORIGINAL: SigMan

do you know if this will work ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140896468831
Yes, anything that fits the DLE 20 will work. I've got two of those on my bf-110

armody 02-16-2013 12:55 PM

Hello Denney47,

I got a question to ask since I'm pretty happy to have ordered my engine from you, which I can't wait to get it next week. My question is, do I have to take care of the ignition curve or make some changes in it and that TDC thing? If I have to do it, I have no experience in doing it so. If the ignition curve is setup at the factory then I do not have to worry about it?

The prop I'm gonna run is Xoar 17X6 beechwood.

Thanks

Mody

bcchi 02-16-2013 08:49 PM

ORIGINAL: denney47

Thank you guys for the good post about our engine.<div>I have had several people ask about a pitts style muffler for this engine.</div><div>Any pitts style that will fit the DLE-20 will fit this engine.</div><div>Thanks</div><div>Tom</div>
I have mounted the XYZ 20 on my engine test stand and have been running it to test ignitions.Runs fine,hand starts easy. Have a exhaust hose and fan to outside so have not done RPM testing. Have been running a Xaor 17x6 on it.Will get it in a plane when it warms up a little here in
Wy.I took the engine all apart and check it over looks good.At least as good as the DLEs maybe a little better.Oh- Oh- I guess I voided my warranty.
Had my first problem with some Bowman rings a few weeks ago. I have talked to Frank about this. This is no way a compliant about his parts or workmenship.I no he uses a very small piston ring end gap but these had zero gap .They were both on the DL 35&55 RA. I always check ring gap in the cyl before installing a ring,any ring any engine.On these two engines the ring ends would not go past each other in the cyl.Of course the cylinder would not go on with the ring on the piston.Used my little jewelers file and gave the ring .002 end gap.I checked all the way up and down the cyl and gap stayed the same very good.Cly still would still not go on.By fileing the piston ring ends I had reduced the size of the notch that fits the pin in the piston. Used a little round file and increased the size of the notch a little and cyl went right on.This was on the 55RA.With the bowman ring the 55 has awesome compression and is brute for power.The DLE 35 was about the same way and fixed it the same way.I installed Bowman rings in a friends 35&55 RA. About the same problem.I think you could have crouded the cyl on by just fitting the ring gap but this would not be a good thing to do.Frank told me he built 45 rings for the DLE 55 RA.and only had a few left and had not heard of this condition. I am sure the rings he built fit his test cylinders perfectly.He does great work. I have 12 DLE engines and most of them have Franks rings.
The DLE factory rings are much better now and they really do not need a ring change. Both of these engines had good compression with the factory rings. I just like Bowman rings .And for this information and $1.00 you can get a cup of coffee at the airport cafe.
The new RCEXL ignitions are a whole new circuit.I no the circuit should be several improvements.Hope they dump the #4.
Used to be BCCHI. Now just Grumpy no two. Ralph is still no one in my book.But he is a #one good guy.I am still building a few ignitions for him.

w8ye 02-16-2013 09:48 PM

Bill,

Good to know,

Thanks<br type="_moz"/>

denney47 02-17-2013 12:08 PM

Hello Mody,
You do not have to do anything with the ignition or the timing, this has been set at Valley View RC Service Center before shipment. The Rcexl ignition that comes with the XYZ 20cc engine is a standard ignition from Rcexl.
I hope this answers your questions.
Thankl you
Tom
Valley View RC
www.valleyviewrc.com

ORIGINAL: armody

Hello Denney47,

I got a question to ask since I'm pretty happy to have ordered my engine from you, which I can't wait to get it next week. My question is, do I have to take care of the ignition curve or make some changes in it and that TDC thing? If I have to do it, I have no experience in doing it so. If the ignition curve is setup at the factory then I do not have to worry about it?

Thanks

Mody

armody 02-17-2013 01:25 PM

Thanks denney47,

You sure did answer the question.

Thanks

Mody

SigMan 02-17-2013 02:45 PM

ORIGINAL: denney47

Hello Mody,
You do not have to do anything with the ignition or the timing, this has been set at Valley View RC Service Center before shipment. The Rcexl ignition that comes with the XYZ 20cc engine is a standard ignition from Rcexl.
I hope this answers your questions.
Thankl you
Tom
Valley View RC
www.valleyviewrc.com

ORIGINAL: armody

Hello Denney47,

Thanks

Mody

this is exactly what Alvarez Guitars do before each acoustic go's to the distributors. test each one thourghly !

armody 02-18-2013 06:49 PM

Funny thing as much as I read about guitars and I love playing guitar few chords and power chord, never heard of Alvarez guitars.

Can't wait to get my XYZ20 this week:D I won't be able to run it quickly though, I may give it a try on the test stand

Mody

SigMan 02-19-2013 03:38 PM

thats amazing you never heard about Alvarez. stop by your local Guitar store and say where is the Alvarez's at ! lol !

Ernie Misner 02-19-2013 10:50 PM

Heard of Taylor's?

armody 02-20-2013 12:39 AM

I know there are many companies which make guitars, and I know PRS can't afford one, I have Fender Squier beginner electric guitar. Personally I like Ibanez but on the other hand I like Jackson, ESP. Yes, I think I've heard about Taylor.

Anyway I have received my XYZ 20cc motor today, it looks sweet:D. I'm gonna install this motor or Seagull Model MXS-R 91-120. I'm going to run on the bench and what it's got:D. I'd probably run zinger prop which is 16X6 for break in and then 17X6 Xoar. I have taken few pix and those are all outta box and I'd post it hopefully in few hours and I'd also try to make the video of break in and post it.

I hope it won't let me down. Is it OK if I may use the plastic spinner with metallic back plate with this motor? For MXS-R model which servos do you guys recommend? standard or high torque? Which make?

Mody

Mpizpilot 02-20-2013 05:53 AM

Don't waste your time with a zinger,your going to be flying it for awhile with the break in prop.Plastic spinners tend to not hold up withgas engines. Go with higher torque servos. If your on a budget, look into the power hd servo line, the 1501's are a great servo. Waaayyy overkill for this plane,but they're cheap and perform great.

Ernie Misner 02-20-2013 10:30 PM

Go to Value Hobby for those HD Power servos.

armody 02-20-2013 10:52 PM

Mpizpilot,

My Seagull's MXS-R manual says that I need 5 digital servos. In the manual itself it shows I think JR's standard servos. My LHS guy is telling to install JR's servo I think digital $32 pop each, and He did not like Hobbico's servo CS-120 which I'm using on my Yak 54 120. I did not find any problem with those servos.

As far as Power HD's 1501 servos care concerned? they are really affordable, but what is the guarantee to it. I bought TT Pro's servo, they are still brand new and pull like 123 Oz torque, and they are 8 of 'em and they are sitting and I have not used them. With my Yak 54 along with 4 hobbico's CS-120 servo, one Hitec's HS-645 MG on rudder I'm using. My LHS guy said, you need to use the same servo, don't mix them with other. He does not recommend Hitec either though I like Hitec's servos and I'd be saying knock on wood, I never had any servo failed on me and I hope and pray to GOD it may never happen.

Is it OK to go with Power HD's analog servo? I try to save much money as possible but I don't try to be cheap as well as don't wanna lose the plane over few bucks.

Ernie, Value Hobby's is any good for Power HD?

Thanks

Mody

Ernie Misner 02-20-2013 10:59 PM

The HD Power servos have lots of good reports. My friend and I have about 10 of them. They are fast, metal geared, and put out over 200 oz. /in. of torque. Yes, only $13 each or so. I have a bunch of HS 645's also, and 485's for the smaller profiles. It's okay to mix servos on a plane if they are similar in power and speed, but I'd put 2 of the same kinds on the ailerons, etc. A friend at the field has Hobby King servos on his 30cc gasser and they are working well for him. Still the majority of mine are Hitec's but I admit I am giving the HD Power's a test.

armody 02-20-2013 11:07 PM

Ernie,

You know about MXS-R. I wanted to get me Seagull's Edge 540 120 also gave thought to 180 but as it was kinda going outta budget and then needing a 30cc or more, I thought naah, don't go beyond it. Anyway, my LHS guy told me to get MXS-R and I'd enjoy it more, as I paid at least $35 less than original price, which was a great deal for me. Now getting XYZ 20 motor for it, which I have already received it, pretty fast shipping by VVRC, I'd like to crank that motor up on the stand for a while. My LHS guy told me that He's gonna help me out installing throttle and all other stuff.

Value hobby is good? I wonder what they might charge shipping for 5 servos. I think either I'd with 4 servos, and on throttle I'd use TT Pro servo.

Well it never hurts to give it a try as I'm giving a try to XYZ 20 motor. Someday I'd love to try DA-50

Mody