RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Possible Short? (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/11251719-possible-short.html)

smithcreek 10-05-2012 06:22 AM

Possible Short?
 
My engine quit mid-flight. Running fine, no signs of overheating or stumbling, then just cut out instantly. First thing I checked was the ignition wiring for loose connections. Only thing I found was the positive wire on the charging wire on my ignition switch may have melted by coming in contact with my muffler. I checked everything else and my spark is fine. I tried to find a wiring diagram for the typical rc switch (specifically using a heavy duty futaba), to see if I could figure it out, but could not. Can anyone tell me, is it possible the red wire shorted out on the muffler? I know that circuit does not work, you can't charge when the switch is on, but is that red still hot?

ahicks 10-05-2012 06:48 AM

RE: Possible Short?
 
If that charge line is hot with the switch on I'd be surprised. Shouldn't be that hard to figure out with a multi meter? With the switch turned on, touch one lead to the red wire, the other to the engine. You'll see voltage or you won't. That should satisfy your curiosity?

All Day Dan 10-05-2012 06:55 AM

RE: Possible Short?
 
Check the sensor and its connector for an intermittent connection. There are a lot of other aspects if the ignition system that could be intermittent. I always bring a spare module with me when I go flying. The charging side of the ignition switch has no effect when the switch is on. Dan.

smithcreek 10-05-2012 07:32 AM

RE: Possible Short?
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: ahicks

If that charge line is hot with the switch on I'd be surprised. Shouldn't be that hard to figure out with a multi meter? With the switch turned on, touch one lead to the red wire, the other to the engine. You'll see voltage or you won't. That should satisfy your curiosity?
Thanks, I was feeling lazy. Checked and confirmed, not the issue. Overheating maybe. I'll give it another go today, increasing the exit hole for air flow.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:53 PM.