RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Pennzoil 2 cycle oil question (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/11296143-pennzoil-2-cycle-oil-question.html)

earlwb 11-18-2012 08:05 AM

RE: Pennzoil 2 cycle oil question

Stihl Ultra and Amsoil Saber Pro are the two oils I like to use. Both are 100% synthetic oil and not a fake synthetic with some mineral oil blended in.
Redline might be another source, but I haven't tried it. 

I suggest to not use less than a 32:1 fuel to oil ratio in a model airplane engine. The RC engine is run full throttle a lot, under a heavy load from the prop and it tends to turn higher RPMs too. A trimmer engine only gets used maybe once every two weeks for a hour or two and it isn't run WOT much if any, and mostly doesn't have a load on it. So yeah with the utility engines you could get away using 50:1 or even 100:1 fuel to oil ratios.

Truckracer 11-18-2012 09:59 AM

ORIGINAL: earlwb

Stihl Ultra and Amsoil Saber Pro are the two oils I like to use. Both are 100% synthetic oil and not a fake synthetic with some mineral oil blended in.

I suggest to not use less than a 32:1 fuel to oil ratio in a model airplane engine. The RC engine is run full throttle a lot, under a heavy load from the prop and it tends to turn higher RPMs too. A trimmer engine only gets used maybe once every two weeks for a hour or two and it isn't run WOT much if any, and mostly doesn't have a load on it. So yeah with the utility engines you could get away using 50:1 or even 100:1 fuel to oil ratios.

Perhaps you've never cut much wood with a quality saw. While in wood, the saw is wide open at higher RPM than any normal airplane engine would ever reach .... and with an aggressive chain, those engines are under a serious load! Normal ratio is 50:1 in many cases.

I agree though and use 32:1 in my airplane engines but don't think for a minute that utility engines don't work hard, especially in commercial applications.

TimBle 11-18-2012 01:16 PM

ORIGINAL: earlwb

fake synthetic??
HUH?
All synthetic oils have a small percentage of mineral oil in the blend. Its a better additive carrier.
<br type="_moz" />

acerc 11-18-2012 02:36 PM

Brian Smith, see what happen's when you ask an oil question. The second post of this thread should have stated, "Let's get ready to rumble."

Brian Smith 11-18-2012 03:40 PM

Yes I see, but you and others provided good input/info. All fun. We are all in this together. Brian

ORIGINAL: acerc

Brian Smith, see what happen's when you ask an oil question. The second post of this thread should have stated, ''Let's get ready to rumble.''

dadragon 11-19-2012 04:30 AM

Brian we are in the same plane I got 21 8oz bottles of air cooled out of 24,I think I have enough for my lifetime,I build more than I fly,so here we are. and I am 69.

Brian Smith 11-19-2012 04:39 AM

Good going.. It never hurts to plan ahead and what little they cost it is a good investment. I would have bought a few more myself. Thanks Brian

ORIGINAL: dadragon

Brian we are in the same plane I got 21 8oz bottles of air cooled out of 24,I think I have enough for my lifetime,I build more than I fly,so here we are. and I am 69.

Ernie Misner 11-19-2012 09:10 PM

Would those 8 oz. bottles make decent gas tanks? Also, for you users of the Pennzoin 2 cycle oil, clearly it has quite a following. Is it a full synthetic oil, blend, or?

Thanks, Ernie

w8ye 11-19-2012 09:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There is nothing synthetic about Pennzoil

Here is what you may encounter in the store.

One on the left is the original

One in the middle is the current one

The one on the right you do not want if you can find the others. I have used about 8 gallons of mix with this oil and didn't have any problems that I could find?

I bought the 8 oz size and mix two gallons at a time. I have enough to last me the rest of my life.

http://images.rcuniverse.com/forum/u...88/Wt59273.jpg

Some people encounter the Multipurpose Penzoil and this one has a slightly different label than the other one.

http://images.rcuniverse.com/forum/u...8/To43186.jpeg

bcchi 11-20-2012 10:34 PM

ORIGINAL: dadragon

I have lived in Wy for 50 years,where in the heck is Pine Bluffs. I am 77 only been flying 3 days in the last week.I rebuild other flers wrecked ARFs for most of my airplanes.Been flying a rebuilt Hanger Nine Funtana DL 30 and H9 50 Katana DL 20 also rebuilt.&a H9 Ultra lite stick DL 35.
BCCHI AMA 2500

w8ye 11-20-2012 11:33 PM

Pine Bluffs is on I80 at the Eastern state line. It is East of Cheyenne

Rudolph Hart 11-21-2012 04:36 AM

Never never buy in bulk without HIS word on it.Imagine karking it tomorrow and your kids get to burn all that 30% nitro fuel you stashed all those years for free!! i'm rollin over in my grave already:)

Ernie Misner 11-21-2012 10:53 AM

Thanks for the photos Jim. Clearly this Pennzoil has quite a following. Please fill me in on why though since it's an old style dino mineral base oil. It reminds me of the old Cheveron RPM 2-stroke oil that was hugely popular way back when. But that was before the day of synthetic oil. Doesn't modern synthetic offer greater protection as well as cleaner burning? Is there something magical about the Pennzoil? Don't mean to offend, please fill me in.

Thanks loads, Ernie

captinjohn 11-21-2012 11:20 AM

If you have a DLE30 that call,s for a 30-1 ratio...just try Pennzoil and you will see that the "magical" more expensive synthetic is not needed. Capt,n