RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Pennzoil 2 cycle oil question (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/11296143-pennzoil-2-cycle-oil-question.html)

Brian Smith 11-13-2012 09:57 AM

Pennzoil 2 cycle oil question

I went to the auto parts where I usually get my oil. They were out. I stopped by K-mart and they had Pennzoil oil in the auto parts dept, but it said "Outdoor" 2 cycle oil instead of for aircooled engines like the oil I normally use. Anyone know whats up with that? Any difference between the two of them? Thanks Brian

MetallicaJunkie 11-13-2012 10:20 AM

RE: Pennzoil 2 cycle oil question

i think they changed the label, and formula as well..... i remember i had a stock of the air cooled oil, then i ordered the new label, and they smelled different.... the old air cooled oil smelled more like petroleum

Brian Smith 11-13-2012 10:24 AM

Thanks. I liked the air cooled version. So did/does my motors. I think I'll wait till I can find some or order online. Brian

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

i think they changed the label, and formula as well..... i remember i had a stock of the air cooled oil, then i ordered the new label, and they smelled different.... the old air cooled oil smelled more like petroleum

captinjohn 11-13-2012 12:54 PM

Try Advanced Auto....buy all the Air Cooled oil you can find there or anywhere.........................

w8ye 11-13-2012 04:06 PM

I bought enough "Air Cooled" to last me a few years at Advance Auto down the street from my house. That was 5 years ago.

Shell was supposed to have changed the Pennzoil label some five years ago to the "Outdoor" motif.

Many people use the Walmart brand oil. At one time it was canned by Pennzoil but the source changes every few years. I've never heard anyone complain about it?

But then again I used - because there was a store closing and I got it for half price, Lawn Boy, for many years before changing to Pennzoil. Never had any carbon or black slime problems with it. Lawn Boy is made by Citgo. Not trying to recommend it, just telling my experience.

Most everyone at the local flying field uses Red Line.

Truckracer 11-13-2012 05:58 PM

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I bought enough ''Air Cooled'' to last me a few years at Advance Auto down the street from my house. That was 5 years ago.

Shell was supposed to have changed the Pennzoil label some five years ago to the ''Outdoor'' motif.

Many people use the Walmart brand oil. At one time it was canned by Pennzoil but the source changes every few years. I've never heard anyone complain about it?

But then again I used - because there was a store closing and I got it for half price, Lawn Boy, for many years before changing to Pennzoil. Never had any carbon or black slime problems with it. Lawn Boy is made by Citgo. Not trying to recommend it, just telling my experience.

Most everyone at the local flying field uses Red Line.

As we've grown to expect, w8ye has his facts straight on this. There were threads several years ago when Pennzoil changed the label on the "Air Cooled" product and in fact the oil also changed. The API rating also changed. This was all confirmed by Pennzoil customer service and there were even some online product bulletins about this.

Any Pennzoil "Air Cooled" oil you might now find is in fact, new old stock that has not yet been replaced by the Outdoors formula.

Not to despair though, Pennzoil's parent company is Shell oil and the oil producing branch is SOPUS which also packages the Quaker State and yes even the WalMart branded oils ... I believe both are API TC rated for air cooled use.

Now you can go even further with this, Shell to this day recommends replacement of their Pennzoil "Air Cooled" formula with "Aeroshell Sport Plus 2" oil that is API TC rated and marked especially for the ultra lite market. At one time they said this was for the most part a reformulated and repackaged Pennzoil "Air Cooled" product in a Shell badged container. And yes, all this info came directly from Shell Oil customer service some time ago.

So, faithful Pennzoil users have quite a few choices when it comes to replacing the "Air cooled" packaged product! Who knows, they might even bring back the "Air Cooled" package one day.

captinjohn 11-13-2012 06:07 PM

HEY....THAT IS GOOD NEWS http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../thumbs_up.gif http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../thumbs_up.gif http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../thumbs_up.gif

Truckracer 11-13-2012 06:11 PM

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I didn't want to discuss Lawn Boy oil along with the Pennzoil response so I'm keeping them separate. A very good friend of mine quit flying RC a couple of years back and gave me several of his engines. These were mostly Zenoah and Quadra engines and as far as I know, he only used Lawn Boy oil in them .... and in generous quantities. Many of these engines were flown quite a bit and for the most part are in perfect condition to this day. There is little or no piston staining on the skirts, minimal carbon buildup on the piston top or in the combustion chamber, no signs of ring sticking, etc. Absolutely no scoring or anything similar ..... bearings are perfect, etc. In short, Lawn Boy oil served these engines very well.

Now there was a down side using this oil! The mufflers had quite a bit of carbon build up in them ..... I might even call it extreme in a couple of cases. The buildup started at about the flange area where the muffler joins the cylinder and goes out from there. I had a similar experience, though not as extreme, when I used BelRay oil a few years back.

Just sayin .... maybe Lawn Boy isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

Scota4570 11-13-2012 09:32 PM

I can only find the walmart outdoor kind in my area. It is working fine for me.

Brian Smith 11-14-2012 04:50 AM

I stopped at the John Deere dealer and picked up a bottle of Stihl HP ultra for now. Thanks for all the info.. Brian

w8ye 11-14-2012 06:29 AM

+1

dadragon 11-14-2012 08:50 AM

I get the pens air cooled at aircraft spruce by the case for $32.00.

TimBle 11-14-2012 08:54 AM

Shell Advance Ultra 2 is actually better than Aeroshell Sport Plus 2 for an rc engine.
It has better viscosity Index, higher flash point , lower pour point and higher viscosity at 40degrees C.

If you can't find it then Aeroshell Sport Plus is the next best bet followed by Advance SX2

dadragon 11-14-2012 09:12 AM

Update;I just checked with aircraftspruce and they now carry OUTDOOR,reformulated air cooled.

Truckracer 11-14-2012 09:12 AM

ORIGINAL: TimBle

Shell Advance Ultra 2 is actually better than Aeroshell Sport Plus 2 for an rc engine.
It has better viscosity Index, higher flash point , lower pour point and higher viscosity at 40degrees C.

If you can't find it then Aeroshell Sport Plus is the next best bet followed by Advance SX2
Agree ... they just suggested the Sport Plus 2 as being the most similar to the old Pennzoil "Air Cooled" product.

Edit: Looking through data sheets, I can find the Advance Ultra 2 listed but I can't find the product at any of the common distributors or vendors. Only the Sport Plus 2 is commonly available.

Edit 2: I found it under the motorcycle oils. I was looking under the Aircraft Oil distributors.

avidflyguy 11-14-2012 09:17 AM

i think pennzoil rebadged the oil, i get all my pennzoil from leading edge airfoils case of 24 16oz bottles for 61.00 ( basically 12 qts) instead of calling it aircooled oil its called multi-purpose same stuff. i've used it in my rotax powered ultralites and 582 powered avid flyer. over 1,000 hours logged with no issues as far as rings sticking or carbon build up, cant say the same for my flying buddies who had oil issues with klotz and amsoil, stuck rings with klotz at 30 hours on new engine, crank shaft failure due to rust at 90 hours-amsoil and another had inflight engine seizure with 80 to1 amsoil mix( amsoil rep said other fliers were using saber oil at 80 to1 no problems) i tried to get him to switch to 50 to1 instead. all 3 are pennzoil users now with no issues

Brian Smith 11-15-2012 06:53 AM

The Stihl Ultra bottle I just picked up says mix with a gal of gas for a 50-1 ratio. yet I read a number of folks are using it at 40-1 ratio. Wonder why a great company like Stihl's recomendation is not good enough? Just sayin' askin'... Brian

ORIGINAL: Brian Smith

I stopped at the John Deere dealer and picked up a bottle of Stihl HP ultra for now. Thanks for all the info.. Brian

acerc 11-15-2012 07:39 AM

For the most part, it might be that, most of us either use a lesser engine than those sold at lawn and equipment store's. Such as DLE, RCGF, CRRC, not the greatest of material's. A good example is the weight of say a Ryobi versus a DLE. And even better A DLE versus a stihl. Or just that we don't see any harm in running on the safe side. A little more oil does not hurt a thing.

Truckracer 11-15-2012 08:02 AM

Add to the above that many smaller engines need more oil per their mfg. recommendations. As Ace said, a bit more of a quality oil doesn't hurt anything. Many of us prefer 32:1 and if the engines are well tuned, there are no negative side effects from using that extra bit of oil. At least none that I have ever seen.

Many RC engines are also poorly cooled where saws and lawn equipment have an internal fan and shrouding that guarantees good cooling. The list goes on ...

Brian Smith 11-16-2012 07:00 AM

Update
I went into the auto parts store where I normally get the air cooled Pennzoil 2 cyl oil to ask if they were getting any more in. Low and be hold they had 10 bottles. I bought them all. At 72 I may have bought my life time supply. :D.. Brian

Checklst 11-16-2012 07:51 AM

Update
I went into the auto parts store where I normally get the air cooled Pennzoil 2 cyl oil to ask if they were getting any more in. Low and be hold they had 10 bottles. I bought them all. At 72 I may have bought my life time supply. :D.. Brian

My local Advance Auto had 10 small bottles I purchased........they now are carrying the larger bottles of Air Cooled Outdoor and Outdoor Multipurpose......I see a day when one of the three Pennsoils is not going to be stocked. I just switched from lawnboy....not sure why I did.......after close inspection of my G26........3 years and 10 gal......the carb was clean...the gaskets looked new, piston ring was shinny bright,ring grove was clean and oily, piston had almost no carbon staining below the top of piston and no carbon stain close to the ring grove.....I was stunned.

The piston top was carbon black. but not excessively...IMO....the exhaust port and muffler however was oozed with soft carbon in excess IMO. Muffler needed a bath for sure. I'm only 55 and that g26 will out last me for sure:D Oh!! I run a 32/1 oil, 87 octane and it has 10% corn(ethanol), and I tune peak performance on needles........she still turns 9000rpm after 3 years.

Brian Smith 11-16-2012 07:54 AM

Very interesting about the engine details. Thanks for that. I'm a "VERY BIG" Zenoah fan. You just can't beat them for long lasting dependable motors. (at least I can't) :D Brian

ORIGINAL: Checklst

Update

My local Advance Auto had 10 small bottles I purchased........they now are carrying the larger bottles of Air Cooled Outdoor and Outdoor Multipurpose......I see a day when one of the three Pennsoils is not going to be stocked. I just switched from lawnboy....not sure why I did.......after close inspection of my G26........3 years and 10 gal......the carb was clean...the gaskets looked new, piston ring was shinny bright,ring grove was clean and oily, piston had almost no carbon staining below the top of piston and no carbon stain close to the ring grove.....I was stunned.

The piston top was carbon black. but not excessively...IMO....the exhaust port and muffler however was oozed with soft carbon in excess IMO. Muffler needed a bath for sure. I'm only 55 and that g26 will out last me for sure:D Oh!! I run a 32/1 oil, 87 octane and it has 10% corn(ethanol), and I tune peak performance on needles........she still turns 9000rpm after 3 years.

Truckracer 11-16-2012 08:14 AM

ORIGINAL: Checklst

Update

Anybody that ever owned a LawnBoy mower and used their oil is familiar with having to clean out the muffler from time to time. When power starts to decrease, clean the muffler and exhaust port. But the engines themselves pretty much last forever. See my post above about my experiences using their oil in RC engines. Pretty much what you described.

Cyberwolf 11-18-2012 02:22 AM

When the engine manufactures say 32-1 or 40-1 or 50-1 why anyone would want to run less oil than what is stated in the instructions is beyond me. For my engines it's not what the bottle of oil says it's what the instructions say that come with the engine.
I'm not trying to start another oil war but use a good quality oil your engine will thank you for it. Myself I use a mineral oil for breakin and switch to Still Ultra and so far have not had an issue. In fact my last new engine got Still ultra from the get go, maybe take a little longer to break in but that's ok.

K-Bob 11-18-2012 07:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
There are many reason large and small to choose the oil you want to run in your engine. Personally, I like Stihl HP Ultra @50:1. One brand I would never use is Lawn Boy Ashless. Is it because it guns up the engine or doesn't provide adequate lubrication?No. It is because it is owned by Citco. Not one single penny or fraction thereof will ever go to this man.