RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   New Evolution 10cc gas engine (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/11322639-new-evolution-10cc-gas-engine.html)

captinjohn 01-02-2013 06:26 PM

RE: New Evolution 10cc gas engine

Just a note here, when you read any post "rmh" makes you can take the advice to the bank. He knows this RC stuff real well. I enjoy his comments very much...his ideas work. Happy New Years Guys....Capt,n

RiverLarry 01-02-2013 07:39 PM

A OK Capt. let me know when you get home need to show you the P 40 !!!!! R/L

FlatSpin 01-02-2013 07:43 PM

I wish I could take credit for the videos, but that honor belongs to Flyinwalenda. I'm technically challenged in posting here, but I'm learning.

Dave

AA5BY 01-02-2013 07:51 PM

Ooops... got my wires crossed... yep, thanks to Flyinwalenda.

David DeWitt 01-02-2013 08:13 PM

Does the muffler have a baffle in it like the glow engines.

Ernie Misner 01-02-2013 08:37 PM

That's sure weird about loosing so many rpm's with the mac's pipe. Must have something to do with being a gasser.

Hello in Florida Capt'n!

2walla 01-02-2013 11:26 PM

10k on a 13x6apc is about what a saito 72 will turn? Or is my memory bad.

AJsToyz 01-03-2013 01:44 AM

I'm pretty sure my Saito .72 was in the high 9000's pretty close to 10k.

FlatSpin 01-03-2013 03:07 AM

ORIGINAL: David DeWitt

Does the muffler have a baffle in it like the glow engines.
No, the muffler is just an air chamber.

Dave

AA5BY 01-03-2013 04:06 AM

According to HH spec sheet on the Saito .72 the benchmark prop is an APC 13x8 @ 9800. Flyinlawenda's video with an APC 13x6 yielded 10700, less pitch but 900 rpms greater. Not bad and not a lot of disparity.

Further from HH, "In the 7 1/2-pound Super Stick, the .72 gives unlimited vertical performance." It is seeming possible that the Evo 10cc could reach the 7.25 lb thrust level and therefore the top of the 6.25-7.25 thrust range I guessed at a few days ago.

earlwb 01-03-2013 04:27 AM

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

That's sure weird about loosing so many rpm's with the mac's pipe. Must have something to do with being a gasser.

Hello in Florida Capt'n!
I suspect that the OEM muffler on the Evo 10cc engine is more of a "tuned" muffler design. So the muffler has less of a performance loss when used with the engine, sometimes even a gain. The OEM muffler looks more like the old Performance Specialties Ultrathrust mufflers (aka Nelson Mufflers) or the Jett mufflers. Thus if you use different mufflers it could affect performance.

RiverLarry 01-03-2013 05:19 AM

Some one needs to get a header from Mac and some flex pipe and a tuned pipe and start cutting !!!

and find the happy spot !!! R/L

airborne2.4 01-03-2013 06:07 AM

ORIGINAL: RiverLarry

Some one needs to get a header from Mac and some flex pipe and a tuned pipe and start cutting !!!

and find the happy spot !!! R/L
+1:)

rmh 01-03-2013 07:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You can make a very good tuned system from a small paint can and some 1/2" inside dia tubing.
I did some of these a few years back- - nothing magic about em.
basically you need about 12" of header which goes into the expansion can- and stops about 1/4" from inside end of the can -
an outlet of tubing about 1/4" id placed at front of the can will work-
this setup is about right for running at 10.000rpm .
It will take some careful testing and a prop which runs at about 10,000 without the ehaust system (open stack) for openers .
then it's cut n try till you get a smooth transitioning setup .
Then - you have to find a model which will accept the setup -
been there.
You can calculate it all day long but till you actually do it you won't find a good workable setup - heat - noise cooling - all affect it.
The books on tuned pipes are really of little or no value on doing a smooth ,broad band tuned system.
They are typically for doing a max power gain -which for most flyers is just a PITA The can in the picture was for a larger engine but theory is the same - it was on a ZDZ60.

Shiftyeddie 01-03-2013 02:01 PM

Ok, my engine is in! Can't wait to get it airborne.

Hopefully some of you guys get some air footage video on here
using this new engine! :)

Kmot 01-03-2013 03:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I got some oil anyway. :D

BTW, the muffler bolt is long enough to add another 4mm nut on the end as a 'jam nut'.

FlatSpin 01-03-2013 04:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: FlatSpin

Thanks to everyone for your expert insight. I’m not trying to drain every last RPM out of this engine but it did strike me as odd that I got so much extra RPMs w/o the pressure line. I bet the LS is still a little off, so I will take the time to do more experimenting with the LS and HS settings this weekend. I'll even try a larger diameter fuel pressure line to see it that helps.

Dave
I did some needle tweaking today. With the APC 12x6, the engine maxed out at 10,100 RPMs but I finally got the engine to peak at 10,900 RPMs on the ground. The LS needle definitely interacts with the HS for rich/lean and max RPMs and 1/16” makes about a 500 RPM difference. At the peak needle settings, removing the muffler pressure line caused the engine to die. I flew it at these needle settings and got 13,850 RPMs unloaded in a dive. I left the LS needle alone and opened the HS for a 200 RPM decrease. The transition to WOT is solid and my idle is around 2100.

I now have 2/3 gallon thru this little beast which equates to about 5-5 ½ hrs of flight time and decided to see what the piston and crank pin looked like. There is just a light golden brown hue on the piston, near the exhaust port and the crank pin still looks brand new. The spark plug tip is a light tan. All OK so far! Now to mount this in my new Meridian and maybe get in a maiden flight it this weekend.

Dave

AJsToyz 01-03-2013 04:50 PM

ORIGINAL: AA5BY

According to HH spec sheet on the Saito .72 the benchmark prop is an APC 13x8 @ 9800. Flyinlawenda's video with an APC 13x6 yielded 10700, less pitch but 900 rpms greater. Not bad and not a lot of disparity.

Further from HH, ''In the 7 1/2-pound Super Stick, the .72 gives unlimited vertical performance.'' It is seeming possible that the Evo 10cc could reach the 7.25 lb thrust level and therefore the top of the 6.25-7.25 thrust range I guessed at a few days ago.
I'm pretty sure Horizon gets there prop numbers running 30% nitro fuel.

chandley43231 01-03-2013 06:02 PM

ok can some tell me if this will fit on a hanger 9 b-25 of course there would be 2  or is it too big<div>
</div>

earlwb 01-03-2013 07:04 PM

Yes the engines would fit no problem in the H9 B-25. They suggest Evo .40NX glow engines. The Evo 10cc engine is really the same size as a .46 to .56 size glow engine. The .40NX is in that same size range too. It is a drop in replacement for some of those size engines too. The Evo .60 NX is the same engine as a glow version. You might want to use a Pitts muffler or something that fits inside the cowls more though, but you don't have to, if you don't mind the mufflers sticking out more. Your biggest hassle is the ignition CDI unit and where you are going to put them. You might have to get a bit creative and imaginative for them. Other than that the engines would work fine.

Firepower R/C 01-03-2013 09:09 PM

It is sure looking like they have a good design on their hands... this looks like the best attempt yet on a small gas engine.

RJStrickJR 01-04-2013 05:02 AM

I will tell you next week if my B-25 will ever get here.... My 2engines finally came in and the 2 Bisson Pitts mufflers. I guess when I get it set up and running it will answer some of the other questions about after market mufflers and their effects on the little stinkers!

ORIGINAL: chandley43231

ok can some tell me if this will fit on a hanger 9 b-25 of course there would be 2 or is it too big<div>
</div>

chandley43231 01-04-2013 05:26 AM

Thanks for reply for the hanger 9 b25 do take some pics and post let me know how they work  I have the bird it's all so right now with a great sound system in it but I want to go to has would I need separate kill switch per motor or can I y harness of course after CDi ignition and whAt size 3 blade can I put on the 10cc motors  man if horrizon could do a video build like there hanger9 p-47 that would be awsome!!!

airborneSGT 01-04-2013 07:17 AM

ORIGINAL: RJStrickJR

I will tell you next week if my B-25 will ever get here.... My 2 engines finally came in and the 2 Bisson Pitts mufflers. I guess when I get it set up and running it will answer some of the other questions about after market mufflers and their effects on the little stinkers!

ORIGINAL: chandley43231

ok can some tell me if this will fit on a hanger 9 b-25 of course there would be 2 or is it too big<div>
</div>

I will be following up to see the numbers :) Horizon said it was not a big impact on performance!

gade600sdi 01-04-2013 08:38 AM

I have been doing some calculation on weight vs. the Evolution 60NX engine.

Evolution 10cc Gas is 23 ounces all in. (book says 22 but I used the guy that weighed it on a scale in this forum)
Evolution 60NX glow is 17 ounces all in. (it may really be 18 but I am using the published specs)

But, I use a 16 ounce tank normally for a 10-12 minute glow flight, and I am thinking 8 ounces of gas tank would be more than needed to provide 15 minute flights, possibly a 6 ounce tank would be enough. So you can save 8 ounces of fuel, maybe 9-10 ounces figuring the smaller tank will weigh less. So that gives you a net savings of 3-5 ounces, which will go towards the ignition pack.

Overall, its very close weight to the 60NX glow based on my logic above.

Now for the power, prop rpm readings I am seeing here are comparable to what I get on a 60 glow motor, so the power seems similar too.

So, this should be a perfect motor for a plane like the Hangar 9 Katana and should be good for 3D with the power to weight ratio. Did I conclude this right or did I miss something?

My conclusion