RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   New Evolution 10cc gas engine (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/11322639-new-evolution-10cc-gas-engine.html)

Pete Bergstrom 01-11-2013 03:37 PM

RE: New Evolution 10cc gas engine

And the tygon problem you had is exactly why we included the Viton tubing to prevent these kind of problems. I'm glad it worked out for you.

Enjoy your first flight!!

Pete<br type="_moz" />

AA5BY 01-11-2013 04:09 PM

Yeah Pete... we older geezers are hard pressed to change our ways until experiencing the reasoning first hand. I'd not given a thought to the issue with Tygon staying on the muffler tap. Of course, no other previous gas engine had muffler pressure.

I was impressed that it started without a starter without much difficulty. However, before one quits lugging the starter to the field, they should be become acquainted enough to avoid flooding.

Pete Bergstrom 01-11-2013 04:15 PM

I agree with your starter comment. Actually, I have enough scars on my fingers from 40 years of doing this that I like to use a starter whenever possible.

Have fun!!

pete<br type="_moz" />

earlwb 01-11-2013 06:10 PM

Yeah Tygon tubing, sort of, sometimes requires a bit of a knack to use.  I found that it gets softer after it has had fuel in it for a while. So I use clamps on the tubing and the fittings. Small Zip Ties work good for this. I use the zip ties as clamps inside the fuel tank too. When the Tygon stuff is new it tends to curl, so I use the curl to my advantage inside the fuel tank for the fuel line, But after it has been there with fuel on it for a short while it gets soft.  For muffler pressure you can use about a three inch long short piece of glow engine silicon tubing to good effect on the fitting and a spice tube and then on to the Tygon stuff. Neoprene  tubing holds up well on the muffler fitting too. The Neoprene tubing tends to bond with the fittings too making for good connections without using clamps.

But of course the Viton tubing is likely the best stuff to use. I would still use clamps on the tubing inside the fuel tank though.  I have been thinking about using a piece of metal to serve as a weight for the fuel pickup along with the filter tip. Maybe a length of solder wire wrapped around it and tied off. That would help overcome the Viton tubing stiffness.

gasxcell 01-12-2013 12:30 AM

Has anyone tried the evolution 10cc gas engine in the Sig Kadet LT 40? I have this plane and would like to install a evolution 10cc in it.
This is my first time posting, hope I did it correctly.

AA5BY 01-12-2013 02:45 AM

I'd think the Evo 10cc would work well on a .40 size Kadet.

rmh 01-12-2013 04:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: AA5BY

I'd think the Evo 10cc would work well on a .40 size Kadet.
Would it work - yes -
The all up weight of that particular model is a bit on the porky side and power needed is really less than the engine should supply
The full size Kadet built correctly would be a better fit
The red Seniorita in the middle of the picture used a K&B 20 for many years -on 10x6 prop - flew very well - would loop and barrel roll

AA5BY 01-12-2013 05:45 AM

Good point about the power being on the high side for the .40 Kadet. Kadets are best when kept in their power range.

An example I'm fairly familiar with is the Kadet LT-25. Sig recommends a .25 glow. A local flier installed a hot .32 and at WOT... it required a right smart amount of down trim and when ready to land, the glide slope with all that down trim was much too steep. He was training at the time and having problems. His instructor who would trim the plane for full power... didn't get what he was doing to the poor guy and the poor guy was having a serious problem with his landings. The instructor complained about elevator authority and that the plane was too nose heavy but the CG didn't support his claim.

Eventually the instructor was released and the owner asked for advice, as I have an LT-25 that the grandkids fly some and landing it is a piece of cake. I observed to him that his plane flew twice as fast as my Saito .30 equipped and asked if he liked to fly fast and he answered, no... I want to learn to land better.

In the transmitter, we limited the high end of the throttle with the result that all that down trim was no longer needed. His reaction was, wow... this thing now just about lands itself. It's a common problem that most good instructors catch but there are a few who trim a hot trainer out and leave a poor sap with a terrible power off glide slope to fight. And... not to be too critical of the instructor... he doesn't notice anything wrong with the glide slope that is so similar to his personal B-25.

GallopingGhostler 01-12-2013 07:13 AM

Interesting. Then I take it that the 10 cc Evo is better suited on larger trainers, say a 70" span Goldberg Tiger 60. The smaller 61" span Tiger 2, it would probably work but is stretching the limit of small, no?

rmh 01-12-2013 07:15 AM

Instructors
Most of the" instructors" I have seen knew nothing about instructing
They could fly but could not put together an orderly learning sequence.
Typically -instruction was a buddy cord setup and then- off we go! - the student simply chased the model and when he got in trouble-the instructor took over .
it was easy to see who actually got proper instruction- the planes were flown at various speeds and landing sequences were done by flying the model to ground -then powered down.
The original Seniorita was designed to permit self teaching -IF the builder followed all the building and setup instructions.
20 odd years ago i would trim my Seniorita- turn off the radio (PCM) and walk back to pits -the new guys would ask "where is your plane?"
I would just point to it and say it's parked up there .
A GOOD trainer can be setup to self correct very nicely.
learning to use power seems to be missing in many "teaching" sequences.

rmh 01-12-2013 07:18 AM

ORIGINAL: GallopingGhostler

Interesting. Then I take it that the 10 cc Evo is better suited on larger trainers, say a 70'' span Goldberg Tiger 60. The smaller 61'' span Tiger 2, it would probably work but is stretching the limit of small, no?
If you want some more advanced performance - use the smaller faster flying models - for basics - slow and predictable provides a chance to evaluate each part of the learning sequence.

BlackPowder 01-12-2013 07:31 AM

( I,m going to use the Great Planes Avistar elite. It will be an easy plane to mount the Evo 10cc in. It has a 62.5 " wing span, 672 wing area, weight 6.5 lbs, lenght 55" and a removable front hatch. From earlier post.) I would be installing the engine now but received it Thursday and it was damaged, so sent it back and now waiting for a new one t arrive.

Pete Bergstrom 01-12-2013 07:41 AM

Could you please describe the damage to the engine so we can make packaging changes if needed?

Pete<br type="_moz" />

Gypsy56 01-12-2013 07:52 AM

For you guys who have been flying and running this engine, do you think its power/weight would be a good match for
my Sig Something Extra?

Ed

fly24-7 01-12-2013 07:59 AM

ORIGINAL: Gypsy56

For you guys who have been flying and running this engine, do you think its power/weight would be a good match for
my Sig Something Extra?

Ed
Pete from Horizon said that performance would be awsome on a pulse xt 40. Since the Sig is both smaller and lighter, it should be a monster.

fly24-7 01-12-2013 08:12 AM

If you look at the flight video on Horizon for the new Meridan, it's no slouch. It seems if you want 3D grade performance, you need to be in the 4-6 pound range. 7-8 pound range seems to result in good basic aerobatic performance.

BlackPowder 01-12-2013 08:56 AM

Oops, Pete it was the airplane that was damaged from Tower not the engine. The engine was very well packaged no problem there. Jim

AA5BY 01-12-2013 09:09 AM

Was thinking here.... the brown truck would have had to run over the engine box.

FlatSpin 01-12-2013 09:12 AM

ORIGINAL: fly24-7

If you look at the flight video on Horizon for the new Meridan, it's no slouch. It seems if you want 3D grade performance, you need to be in the 4-6 pound range. 7-8 pound range seems to result in good basic aerobatic performance.
That is my experience. I first had the engine on a 7 lb 4 oz. airframe and it had great vertical performance. It is now on an 8lb Meridian and it flies like in the video, a very good aerobatic performer. If you want 3D, then you'll need a lighter plane.

Dave

NM2K 01-12-2013 09:43 AM

Many of us will reach a point with failiing health where we must decide if continueing our model airplane hobby is worth the effort. I've been hovering around that decision point off and on for several years. However, something has finally rekindled the interest in my hobby world. That something is the newly emerging smaller displacement gasoline fueled engines.

I have a shipload of NIB glow engines to sell off. Lots of new Saito, Rossi, OS and Enya engines. Some are even model Diesel engines.

Ed Cregger

triumphman49 01-12-2013 10:22 AM

Ed,
Have you been following the 6.5cc thread

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11359021

T-man49

GallopingGhostler 01-12-2013 11:28 AM

ORIGINAL: rmh

ORIGINAL: GallopingGhostler Interesting. Then I take it that the 10 cc Evo is better suited on larger trainers, say a 70'' span Goldberg Tiger 60. The smaller 61'' span Tiger 2, it would probably work but is stretching the limit of small, no?
If you want some more advanced performance - use the smaller faster flying models - for basics - slow and predictable provides a chance to evaluate each part of the learning sequence.
Makes sense rmh, thanks for the clarification. Since returning to windy Clovis, wanted something larger for better wind penetration and my reflexes aren't what they used to be. Following this thread, I have a better idea of what will work for me.

earlwb 01-12-2013 05:42 PM

ORIGINAL: GallopingGhostler

ORIGINAL: rmh

ORIGINAL: GallopingGhostler Interesting. Then I take it that the 10 cc Evo is better suited on larger trainers, say a 70'' span Goldberg Tiger 60. The smaller 61'' span Tiger 2, it would probably work but is stretching the limit of small, no?
Makes sense rmh, thanks for the clarification. Since returning to windy Clovis, wanted something larger for better wind penetration and my reflexes aren't what they used to be. Following this thread, I have a better idea of what will work for me.
Actually the Evo 10cc engine would be great in a Tiger 2 plane, it would really have sparkling performance. The Tiger is probably at the upper limit though. It may fly but not have much spare power in that case. Hard to say though. It depends on your flying style.

I am flying a old Fox Bluehead .60 glow engine in a Tiger clone plane and it flies pretty good, but it does feel a little weak though, but not bad as it flies pretty good like that. So since the Evo 10cc probably has a little more power than the old Fox Bluehead .60, then the Evo 10cc might do pretty good. If I remember correctly I think the old Fox engine is turning a 12x8 prop. The old Fox Bluehead .60 engine uses 1960's technology with a baffle on the piston (no Schnuerle porting), two piston rings, dual glow plugs and a wedge shaped combustion chamber from that time period. The Evolution 10cc engine uses ABC technology and Schnuerle porting with much more aggressive port timing too.

I did have the thought about putting the Evo 10cc engine in the Tiger clone plane, but the old Fox engine uses a huge crankcase size and I would have to fill in the wood mounting rails a lot to make the much smaller Evo 10cc engine fit.

NM2K 01-12-2013 08:38 PM

ORIGINAL: triumphman49

Ed,
Have you been following the 6.5cc thread

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11359021

T-man49

Yes, off and on.

Ed Cregger

AA5BY 01-13-2013 06:38 AM

I went back and revisited the second video posted by Flyinwalenda where he runs a 11x6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFn3_...ature=youtu.be

or post 365

I didn't catch it when viewing it originally but is it the tuned muffler that is kicking the engine noticeably?