RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Engine fires with choke closed? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/11359714-engine-fires-choke-closed.html)

ameyam 01-07-2013 05:18 AM

Engine fires with choke closed?

I havent run my dle20 for some time but I fired it today with a new rcexcl igntition. It fires with the choke closed and runs for some time. With the choke open, it doesnt fire or even if it fires, it doesnt sustain and dies quickl
. Wondering what the issue is? following things have been done before this run
1) reset the needles- LSN to 1.1 turns and hsn to 1.5 turns.
2) new tubing inside the tank for clunk. the remaining are old tubin
3) I had the ignition battery (2000mah nimh 5cell) mistakenly plugged in direct instead of thru the voltage reduction diodes
also noticed that the engine races even at idle. I have the idle stop screw removed & the idle position should be completely closed throttle. Ameyam

flyinwalenda 01-07-2013 06:04 AM

RE: Engine fires with choke closed?

My guess is dirt/gunk inside the carb. Carefully remove the pump cover (one bolt),lift the fuel pump off and clean out the inside especially the screen. Re-assemble and be careful not to tear the pump diaphragm or gasket. If you find dirt inside make sure you have a good in-line fuel filter installed.

ahicks 01-07-2013 06:06 AM

2 thoughts,
First is you may be lean on your low speed setting.
Second, it may be a good idea to pull the carb and have a look the the butterfly's? It sounds like one or both may be loose?

skillet92 01-07-2013 06:13 AM

Had a friends at the field that gave us all sorts of problems. Pulled carb and cleaned, readjusted, and tuned tuned tuned. Nothing helped. On a whim I pulled the reed block and found that they were not sitting flush. Ordered a new one and it has worked perfect since.

SrTelemaster150 01-07-2013 06:28 AM

ORIGINAL: ameyam

I havent run my dle20 for some time but I fired it today with a new rcexcl igntition. It fires with the choke closed and runs for some time. With the choke open, it doesnt fire or even if it fires, it doesnt sustain and dies quickl
. Wondering what the issue is? following things have been done before this run
1) reset the needles- LSN to 1.1 turns and hsn to 1.5 turns.
2) new tubing inside the tank for clunk. the remaining are old tubin
3) I had the ignition battery (2000mah nimh 5cell) mistakenly plugged in direct instead of thru the voltage reduction diodes
also noticed that the engine races even at idle. I have the idle stop screw removed & the idle position should be completely closed throttle. Ameyam

Classic symptoms of fuel starvation or a vacume leak.

Look into fuel delivery and/or vacume leaks for the solution. It's not likely to be ignition related.

ameyam 01-07-2013 06:59 AM

Hmm.. I think tubing is to blame. This is the same old tubing from last year (outside the tank) and its hard as hell. Must have a hole somewhere. Time to order Tygon

I have already had a deadstick a few flights before I had to give up flying for a year last year due to health reasons. On that occassion, I did take off the filter and clean it. There was a aluminium mesh inside that had a lot of grime it it. So I guess I need a good inline gas filter as well now. Hope I didnt damage the pump diaphragm then (wouldnt the engine not run at all if I did?)

Ameyam

karolh 01-07-2013 08:27 AM

Instead of cutting your feed line from the tank to install an inline filter, fit a felt filtered clunk to the feed line from your fuel jug and to your in-tank to carb line and that will eliminate all debris in fuel problems.

Karol

ameyam 01-07-2013 09:09 AM

I have a filter as part of the fuel suction on the line pump. but the pump is not dedicated to gas, so some dirt probably got on it when i was transfering from glow duty then. There is still some time before I put together the dedicated gasser. today's test was simply to check that the ignition works & I will take the test bed Extra 60-90 convert to field just one day to ensure that the ignition step (due to which 8 changed the stock dle #4 ignition) is now eliminated. Hopefully by then the filter problim is sorted
Ameyam

unclecrash 01-07-2013 10:34 AM

Hey how are you ? Did you ever build the plane you were purchasing some stuff from me on RCG?

Ernie Misner 01-07-2013 01:06 PM

Did you change the sensor timing when you changed to the rcelex ignition? Or did you re-time it from the 35 degree factory setting while still using the DLE ingiontin perhaps?

Thanks.

armody 01-07-2013 02:39 PM

ameyam,

What's the price of DLE20 in Indian rupee? Just wondering!:eek:

Mody

ameyam 01-07-2013 05:41 PM

Hi,

no, I havent bougnt any stuff thru RCU
I havent changed the ignition timing, Just changed the ignition module, rest of the stuff is as received from dle
for the cost of a dle in inr, simply multiply the usd cost by 55 (conversion rate frm usd to inr) & then again multiply by 1.3 to factor customs
ameyam

Ernie Misner 01-07-2013 05:47 PM

Be aware that the DLE's come from the factory with the timing sorta set around 35 degrees BTC. That seems to run okay but 28 is considered more normal and Tom at VV recommends retarding the sensor all the way in it's slots when changing to the rcexel unit. There is a wide range of timing that works. My take on that is to watch out for detonation or overheating on a hot day, and lean runs.

Checklst 01-07-2013 06:04 PM

My DLE30 ran a few times but was vary hard to start............then is would only pop with choke on like yours. Timed it to 28 and it starts vary easy now.

ameyam 01-08-2013 05:32 AM

I did find the engine running a bit rough, albeit at idle. If I change everything at one go, I wont know what is wrong. I will replace the tubing first and then check the timing.

Nonetheless, there is still some time till I get around to testing the engine. Right now I have my hands full getting a Reactor Bipe into the air

Ameyam

unclecrash 01-08-2013 09:25 AM

ORIGINAL: ameyam

Hi,

no, I havent bougnt any stuff thru RCU
I havent changed the ignition timing, Just changed the ignition module, rest of the stuff is as received from dle
for the cost of a dle in inr, simply multiply the usd cost by 55 (conversion rate frm usd to inr) & then again multiply by 1.3 to factor customs
ameyam
No it was over on RCG if it was you. I had a very lot of hardware forsale.