RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Best choice among current 20cc engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/11590981-best-choice-among-current-20cc-engines.html)

karolh 12-03-2013 06:37 PM

Best choice among current 20cc engines

I am contemplating purchasing an engine to replace my profile's Mintor 22 that was returned to the factory some months ago for service / upgrade, but so far has not yet returned and might never ever. The engines under consideration are DLE20, RCGF20 and the VV20, however I have very little running knowledge of them and would appreciate anyone with some hands on experience with them to advise how they stack up against each other in performance, reliability and availability of spares. Just for information the Mintor 22 turned a Falcon 17x6 beech @ 8,400 rpm. Thanks.

w8ye 12-03-2013 07:25 PM

the VV20 seems to have good support

radfordc 12-03-2013 07:57 PM

I have several DLE 20s and a RCG 20. They all run well. I prefer the DLE's

Truckracer 12-03-2013 08:14 PM

I have a VV20 that has a few flights on it. It runs very well and would appear to be good value for the $$ spent. If I bought another 20, I'd probably go with the DLE though. Bought on sale, the cost difference is minimal between the VV and the DLE. DLE constantly improves their products and the bearing and crank problems that plagued some of the early DLE20s seems to be pretty well taken care of in the current engine. The #4 ignition that caused problems is also changed to one with a more normal advance curve. Flip a coin I guess as either one seems like a good choice these days. No experience with RCGF here.

Indiomike 12-04-2013 03:46 AM

I have both DLE20's and a VV20. I think the DLE is slightly more powerful than the VV but not enough to to be a major difference. Go with whoever offers the best price.

ahicks 12-04-2013 04:50 AM

Based on my DLE and RCGF experience, for a 20cc I'd have to go for the DLE 20 RE. 2 reasons, weight, and the rear exhaust configuration has so much potential (narrow cowls, cannister/pipe combos). However, there's a newer engine nobody is talking about much, and the power to weight ratio is tough to argue? RCGF has a beam mounted 26cc with the same weight and external dimensions as the RCGF 20 beam mount? One of the reasons nothing is happening with the new 26 is one of the distributers posted the OLD radial mounted RCGF 26 specs on their website for the new engine? Needless to say, those specs aren't very flattering. For the real specs you need to go to RCGF's own site. This will be the next engine I buy. 20cc foot print and weight, but power approaching that of a 30cc?

Nothing wrong with the VV engine - but it's a single source deal. Something happens there, and you have no options. I tend to avoid those situations personaly. -Al

Granpooba 12-04-2013 12:49 PM

Presently I have a DLE-20 and the new OS GT 22.

To date I have been pleased with the DLE-20, very easy starting after you get it primed and puts out all the power I will ever need for my aircraft. I have not played around very much with props. Basically, I have only been running a 16 x 8. Can not report of the OS GT 22 yet as it is still sitting in its box. But within the next few weeks I will be mounting it in a Hanger 9 Christen Eagle. Have not heard of any bad reports on the OS, but then again how many bad reports does an OS ever get. :confused: :cool:

If I were to purchase another DLE-20 and that may very well happen, it would definitely be the rear exhaust " RA " model.

Personally, I do not think you could go wrong with a DLE. But then again, I have been reading some very good reports on the RCGF. Just not sure the RCGF has the same quality as a DLE and I am sure that they do not have the same quality as an OS.

acerc 12-04-2013 02:24 PM

I have both the DLE and RCGF and both brands have been flawless for three years now. If I had to choose between them it would be RCGF from BP Hobbies. They have plenty of parts and extras and are quick to answer the phone and get stuff out, just great customer service.

karolh 12-04-2013 06:30 PM

Even though I have heard very glowing reports about the new look RCGF engines, the brand has had such a checkered past that I am somewhat leery of going that route, but in truth their 26cc beam mount engine would be just the ticket for my situation. The VV 20cc generates quite some interest as it comes with a genuine Walbro carb and RCexl ignition, but being a single source engine is somewhat of a negative in my book.

CustomPC 12-04-2013 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by ahicks (Post 11676850)
RCGF has a beam mounted 26cc with the same weight and external dimensions as the RCGF 20 beam mount? One of the reasons nothing is happening with the new 26 is one of the distributers posted the OLD radial mounted RCGF 26 specs on their website for the new engine? Needless to say, those specs aren't very flattering. For the real specs you need to go to RCGF's own site. This will be the next engine I buy. 20cc foot print and weight, but power approaching that of a 30cc?

Has anyone actually got the new 26cc and verified the specs.?

bcchi 12-04-2013 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by karolh (Post 11676633)
I am contemplating purchasing an engine to replace my profile's Mintor 22 that was returned to the factory some months ago for service / upgrade, but so far has not yet returned and might never ever. The engines under consideration are DLE20, RCGF20 and the VV20, however I have very little running knowledge of them and would appreciate anyone with some hands on experience with them to advise how they stack up against each other in performance, reliability and availability of spares. Just for information the Mintor 22 turned a Falcon 17x6 beech @ 8,400 rpm. Thanks.

I am flying both the VV 20 and the DL 20. Both are fine little engines. The DL may outurn the VV on the same prop.The VV is just a nice handling and running engine. It is easy to tune and smoother then the DL.
I am running a 17x8 on both of them. Sorry I do not very ofton check RPM.My DL does have the Bowman ring and couple of other things done on it.The VV is stock and does not have a lot of time on it.Hand starts
very easy and have not had a dead stick yet. I cannot say the same for the DL. I have the new DL 20 rear exhaust. Have not run it yet but sure looks nice.Flying both the DL 35 and 55 RA. They are both great both have Bowman rings.The new DLs do not really need the Bowman ring but I just like to use them.Seems like about every engine will gane 150 to 250 RPM on the Bowman ring.Also flying the VV twin 40. Really a nice running engine a very little heavier the DL 30. Of course I check timing on all of my new engines Most are very close we can time at 30 to 32 degrees BTDC we are 5400 ft ABSL. Don't no where thes guys come up with these wild timing figures. 40,50 100 DBFTDC.Doesn't help the the Tower instructions say the DLEs are supposed to be set at 46 DBFTDC. This is just WRONG......
I think our flying is about over for a while. Say it is going to get - 15 F tomorrow night yes thats minus. The way they tell if it's really cold here is to throw a glas of water into the air, if it freezes befor it hits the ground it is a little cool.This is true has to be about 40 45 below 0 F to do this. Yes I have seen it.Too tired to spell check. Guess I will go crawl under my electric blanky.Don't want to here what the temp is down there.It's airplane building time.
BCCHI AMA 2500 Grumpy no two.

ahicks 12-05-2013 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by CustomPC (Post 11677518)
Has anyone actually got the new 26cc and verified the specs.?

Captmicom posted some pics a while back, has some experience with the engine mounted in a profile. He's the OTHER RCGF dealer, and might have his face a little closer to the grindstone when it comes to new stuff coming out of RCGF. He's also posting frequently when it comes to supporting them in the RCGF string within the engine forum?

Photos:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/ga...berId%3D271037

contact info:
Captmicom...
RCGF Service Certer USA*Southwest AeroVista Hobbies*Team AV Pro-(We sponsor IMAC Kids)*520-508-7371

karolh 12-05-2013 06:33 AM

I would appreciate if someone could post the rpm's they are getting from their DLE , VV or RCGF 20cc engines and the prop sizes used.

ahicks 12-05-2013 07:51 AM

DLE 20 and RCGF 20, both mid 8's on APC 17x6 at 1100' asl.

757jonp 12-05-2013 11:59 AM

Been running a DLE 20 on a Mojo 65 for a couple years now and I haven't been nice to it all. Turning 9400 on a 17X6 and pipe, who knows what in the air. So far I've replaced the crank and rod twice, once due to failure, 2nd time well on it's way to failure. Not *****ing about it one bit, especially since the parts are cheap and readily available at Tower. Considering the abuse I've given it, it's held up pretty well.

karolh 12-05-2013 05:05 PM

I have been hammering a RC exl ignition converted G20 that I bought from Ralph Cunningham several years ago in a Big Stik 60, and so far have only changed the plug once. If only Zenoah would see the light and make a beam mount version I would look no further, but I do need a beam mount engine for my profile.

757jonp 12-05-2013 05:22 PM

You can mount that G20 on a profile pretty easy (usually) by building a mount out of aluminum angle. I have a Lamyak with a DLE30 on it mounted that way.

karolh 12-05-2013 05:28 PM

Yes I could, but I'm not too inclined to modify the already built model to accommodate a rear mount engine, but would rather just get a plug and play replacement.

kmeyers 12-06-2013 03:27 PM

I've been beating a G20 for years myself, nine in fact.

I never weighted the old ignition to see how much it lost with the Rcxel that I now use. I still use the stock muffler which is 6 ozs, which could be replaced with a 2oz,er.

Being my guess is in the 750 hours of run time this engine should not be left out of consideration.