RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Repair of Dubro Kwik fill? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/11594970-repair-dubro-kwik-fill.html)

mikes68charger 02-18-2014 10:12 AM

Repair of Dubro Kwik fill?

Hey guys, I got a question some one must know. I got a gas/red Dubro Kwik-Fill Fueling Valve Gas
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD746&P=7
on my Top Flite Gaint P40 and the little oring got ripped and it leaks a little stream of fuel while filling it up.
Im not being cheap as I got 2 new one of these sitting on the shelf, but I really dont feel like taking the 2-3 hours to take everthing apart inside my bird to get to the filler, its on the top of the fuse net to the cowl. I would have to remove the servo tray, and the fuel tank, and othere items to get to this little sucker.
So my question is has anyone ever just replaced the O ring?
any tips?
Where to get the right O ring?
Thanks Mike

mikes68charger 02-18-2014 10:22 AM

Wow sorry guys I normaly resurch my question first, I did not know they sell a rebuild kit for these

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...XD688&P=7#tech

Im trying to find directions, but do you think I can replace the top O ring from the out side? Or do you still have to take out the whole item to rebuild it? which is not what I want to do.

Thanks

Truckracer 02-18-2014 04:19 PM

Yes, the "O" ring can be changed from outside. Push the plunger in and hold it there. Pry out the old "O" ring with a pin or similar tool and likewise install the new ring in reverse order.

With the advent of fuel dots, caps, etc. I no longer use these fuelers and some have found them a source of major problems ... such as mystery air leaks.

speedracerntrixie 02-18-2014 07:19 PM

You know, funny story. Once upon a time I was a factory heli pilot and was at a vendors event while at the Chicago model expo. While talking to a Dubro exec even he admitted the fill valves sucked (air). The story was a guy called pissed as hell claiming that a leaky fill valve destroyed the piston/liner on his OS 61 VRP. The Dubro exec said he offered the guy 2 free replacement valves and that made the guy happy. Go figure.

Truckracer 02-18-2014 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie (Post 11740137)
You know, funny story. Once upon a time I was a factory heli pilot and was at a vendors event while at the Chicago model expo. While talking to a Dubro exec even he admitted the fill valves sucked (air). The story was a guy called pissed as hell claiming that a leaky fill valve destroyed the piston/liner on his OS 61 VRP. The Dubro exec said he offered the guy 2 free replacement valves and that made the guy happy. Go figure.

Well once upon a time they looked like a good idea ...... but the wise man soon learns otherwise. To their credit, I believe the larger gas version works better than the small glo one. A good friend used them on all his gas planes and I rarely if ever saw him have any problems. There are certainly better, more reliable ways to fuel an airplane.

av8tor1977 02-18-2014 09:22 PM

Had one. Had a "mystery air leak" that took a while to trouble shoot. It was the Dubro fill valve. Took it out, threw it away, and considered it a lesson learned. Later my brother wanted to use one and I talked him out of it.

Try not to build failure/problem points into your airplane. They are good enough at exploiting weak spots all by themselves.

AV8TOR

SrTelemaster150 02-18-2014 10:15 PM

I had trouble W/one of the small ones but I switched to the large one & ran it for several years W/O any issues.

kurt2022 02-18-2014 10:57 PM

Been there, done that, almost lost a plane, added a third line to all my tanks, never been back!

av8tor1977 02-18-2014 11:51 PM

Yep, three line tanks for all my planes. It is worth the piece of mind and undoubtedly the best, most fool proof method. Two line systems can work fine, but I prefer the more fool proof three line setups. Nothing worse than getting all loaded up, getting to the flying field, unloading, assembling, and then having pain in the butt engine run problems, besides the possibility of damaging or losing an expensive airplane due to a preventable problem.

AV8TOR

thepamster 02-20-2014 09:59 AM

The problem I believe with fuel fillers isn't so much the using them but rather when they go unused for any length of time. This is especially true for the glow versions. Once you fuel up they may not close completely. Why is my engine running so darn lean? Yep, fuel dots for me.

mikes68charger 02-20-2014 10:32 AM

I always use a 3 line tank. I actually plug one side of this filler

I like useing it as I lost my fill cap in the grass to many times

And less a gas on my hands

Thanks guys for the info

Truckracer 02-20-2014 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by mikes68charger (Post 11741491)
I always use a 3 line tank. I actually plug one side of this filler

I like useing it as I lost my fill cap in the grass to many times

And less a gas on my hands

Thanks guys for the info

Never considered using one that way! A small leak there wouldn't really matter on an unpressurized system.