RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   dle 35 break in rpm (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/11650121-dle-35-break-rpm.html)

left seat 06-14-2018 04:52 AM

dle 35 break in rpm

I have a brand new DLE 35 in my Taylorcraft. I would like to know if there are any tips I should know about breaking it in. Any specific rpm, ( has a digital tach mounted on fuse) how high should the rpms be for break in and for what duration. How many tanks of fuel should be run through before first flight? Oil to gas ratio is 30:1 is this sufficiant for break in and should I use a gas stabalizer since it may not be flown regularly. I'm new to gas engines and would like to break it in properly. Any advise here would be greatly appreciated.

mogman 06-14-2018 06:03 AM

Fire it up, get a good basic needle setting and go fly. The engine will be better cooled in flight rather than just running on the ground. 30 or 32:1 is good. vary your throttle settings in flight.

If it won't affect your C/G, fly with the cowl off for max cooling for the first few flights.

BarracudaHockey 06-14-2018 07:36 AM

What he said ^^^^

ahicks 06-14-2018 03:46 PM

Don't feel like you HAVE to get it the air as fast as you can. Feel free to take whatever time you need to get comfortable with it, then offer it up to the RC Gods with a little confidence! You aren't going to hurt it. The bigger point is don't waste your time tuning to the 'nth degree, as that's very likely going to change as soon as it's airborne. Also, breaking it in a stand has never resulted in an engine that will run longer or faster than one broken in while flying.

And welcome to gas!

wally3185 02-10-2019 09:47 AM

Top RPM

I also have a new 35ra, the information that comes with it says break in should be two hours at 4000 rpm.I have ran about 60 oz threw it. What top end rpm should I be getting with a 19x8 xoar? I'm getting around 7000

CK1 02-16-2019 10:01 AM

You should be getting close to 8k rpm if not more with a 19x8 on the 35ra . You are probably running a bit rich or your tach is off. A 20x8 would be more appropriate for the 35ra

ahicks 02-17-2019 05:10 AM

I wouldn't worry about top rpm you're getting (on a newer engine) as much as whether the carb has been set for max rpm, then richened until you can just hear it drop. You get what you get, and it will very likely change as the engine breaks in. Just keep in mind the fuel helps cool your engine. At first, when it's likely running much warmer than it will when broken in, it needs a lot more fuel to keep it cooled down. That will change as it breaks in too!

A lot of guys running acrobats and 3D types run 19x8 and 20x6. For 3D I like the 20x6 to keep the rpms up for quick throttle response and max acceleration, and the extra diameter to increase the amount of air blowing over the control surfaces. 20x6 will act like a big air brake when you pull the throttle back too, pretty much slowing the plane right now. Awesome for setting up for a short approach. That's me though. No hard right or wrong here, just encouraging an open mind on what the right prop is for you and YOUR plane! -Al

wally3185 02-17-2019 06:32 AM

Dle 35ra

Thanks for the input, I'm getting a good idle and throttle response though out the power band. As soon as the weather permits I'll get it in the air.