RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   RCGF 60cc twin gas engine wont run (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/11655440-rcgf-60cc-twin-gas-engine-wont-run.html)

Bjimmy120 10-16-2018 08:08 AM

RCGF 60cc twin gas engine wont run

I have been trying to start a 60cc rc plane and have not been able to get it running, all it will do is putter for a couple seconds and then cut out. I have cleaned the carb, messed with the carb screws, and made sure I had spark. Gas will leak out of the carb when I try to start it. Could pressure in the tank be a problem? Any suggestions will help.

kmeyers 10-16-2018 12:37 PM

It always worries me when I see wording like "messed with the carb screws". I am also worried about the pressure in the tank question. We generally run a two line tank with one vent and a tee in the fuel delivery line for fill and de-fuel. No pressure required because the carbs are pumped. Of note to often we plug the vent line for transport and storage and forget to remove the plug and can't start our engines.... oops

To start with gas dripping down reveals the presents of gas and gravity. This is a good sign that the pump is working and the diaphragm has fuel too.
Gently turn the needles all the way closed then open each one about 1 1/2 turn out. Next try starting your engine again and open the throttle slightly ( I generally look through the screw hole for the idle stop screw and set the throttle to where the stop is just entering sight. Then later with the engine running I adjust endpoints in the transmitter.
At the top of this forum is a sticky "new to gas" and it should help you with most of your questions.

Bjimmy120 10-17-2018 08:37 AM

When I messed with the carburetor screws I did exactly what you said and the best I got was just puttering for a few seconds and i was wondering about the pressure because i had a hard time getting the seal on the cap right.

TomCrump 10-18-2018 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Bjimmy120 (Post 12471280)
When I messed with the carburetor screws I did exactly what you said and the best I got was just puttering for a few seconds and i was wondering about the pressure because i had a hard time getting the seal on the cap right.

Start by fixing your tank's gas stopper. I doubt that it has much to do with your problem, but it needs to be sealed tightly before you proceed.

There should be no pressure in the tank.

Desertlakesflying 11-26-2018 02:34 PM

Did you close the choke until it pops, then open the choke and start it? 6v battery for the ignition? These engines from Valley View are set up when they arrive. mine was a breeze.

speedracerntrixie 11-26-2018 07:09 PM

Not really enough information to lead to any fix. When the carb was cleaned was it disassembled? Are you sure it was reassembled correctly. Does it drip fuel only when being choked or all the time? What is the power source for the ignition? Please be very specific and informative with the answers so we can help you better.