RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   RCGF 60cc gas engine ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/11657148-rcgf-60cc-gas-engine.html)

Bob Paris 11-25-2018 09:09 PM

RCGF 60cc gas engine ?

I am looking to buy this engine for my next project...does anyone have any experience with this gas engine...???
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

RCFlyerDan 11-26-2018 04:40 AM

Buy DA is first choice, or DLE. Personally, I would never buy any RCGF engines. Bad tolerances, poor running. When I go to the field, I don't want to work on trying to get an engine to run. When I am teaching gas, I won't even work on any student's plane with any of the RCGF series engines. I have already wasted hours on their engines.

Bob Paris 11-26-2018 07:19 AM

Hay Dan,
Thanks...
Bobby of Maui

Desertlakesflying 11-26-2018 02:22 PM

I have one on a 50CC Pilot Extra and it is amazing. Great power, easy to run and start. Just use the NGK CM6 plugs instead of the ones that come with it. Don't believe the hype. I'm running a 22X10 on avgas and Lucas 2 stroke racing oil.

Desertlakesflying 11-26-2018 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan (Post 12481473)
Buy DA is first choice, or DLE. Personally, I would never buy any RCGF engines. Bad tolerances, poor running. When I go to the field, I don't want to work on trying to get an engine to run. When I am teaching gas, I won't even work on any student's plane with any of the RCGF series engines. I have already wasted hours on their engines.

I've seen my share of DA's that never run right sooooo.......

speedracerntrixie 11-26-2018 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying (Post 12481616)

Well, any engine can be mis adjusted. Here is a video of my DA 150 that came off the second production run in 2003. Nothing special here, just typical DA.

RCFlyerDan 11-26-2018 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying (Post 12481616)

It’s usually operator error when a DA doesn’t run right. Usually set up issues. If a DA doesn’t start by the fifth flip after the choke pop, something is wrong. I’ve never been “bit” by a DA, but have been by DLE and others, including Zenoah, the old work horse of gas. Another nice thing about DA and their engines, If the owner wrecks his plane and engine, whether he bought it new or is second or more owners, DA Repair only charges for parts and not labor. Not sure about the other companies’ engines. I really don’t care what you buy. No gain or loss to me. I just want the most reliable engine for planes that maybe a true kit built where time in the project is more valuable than the cost. If it’s an ARF, wreck it, just buy another. Big deal!

RCFlyerDan 11-27-2018 04:11 AM

Here's what I am talking about:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-...-wont-run.html

Desertlakesflying 11-27-2018 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan (Post 12481747)

Not a good example to base you case on

Desertlakesflying 11-27-2018 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan (Post 12481710)

It’s usually operator error when a DA doesn’t run right. Usually set up issues. If a DA doesn’t start by the fifth flip after the choke pop, something is wrong. I’ve never been “bit” by a DA, but have been by DLE and others, including Zenoah, the old work horse of gas. Another nice thing about DA and their engines, If the owner wrecks his plane and engine, whether he bought it new or is second or more owners, DA Repair only charges for parts and not labor. Not sure about the other companies’ engines. I really don’t care what you buy. No gain or loss to me. I just want the most reliable engine for planes that maybe a true kit built where time in the project is more valuable than the cost. If it’s an ARF, wreck it, just buy another. Big deal!

It's usually operator error when a RCGF doesn't run right as well, you know like the post you are trying to use to back up your claim. But I doubt people I've known with problems, who have owned dozens of DA motors over the years are operator error.

josephcraig 01-04-2019 04:26 PM

Don't know about the 60 twin,but I have rcgf 60 single.Only problem i had was after break in I had problems filing plugs.Took little while to figure out.Ended up ordering replacement coil boot kit and cured problem.Pulling 24 x 8 prop and it actually to small.I do burn vp fuel mixed with stihl oil.This fuel is so much better than regular gasoline.No worries about carb problems sitting.It does have lot of vibration through the plane,so make sure everything is loctite.I would put it up against any engine it's size far as power.I have messed with several gas rc planes,and no matter what brand you get,none is 100% trouble free.They all have there flaws.Part of the fuel planes world gas or glow.Electric is convenient but nothing sounds better than 50 size plane or the smell of the glow fuel.