RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Replacement plug for RCJ7Y (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/2356194-replacement-plug-rcj7y.html)

hankpajari 11-18-2004 05:50 PM

Replacement plug for RCJ7Y

Hi

I just bought a couple of Bosch WS7F plugs from Pep Boys today. I asked for Champion RCJ7Y and these were supposed to be the replacement. The package for the Bosch plugs says that they replace Champion CJ7Y plugs not RCJ7Y. I believe that the R stands for resistor and that resistor plugs suppress noise.

Does anyone know if these Bosch plugs are OK or will I be getting ignition noise by not using a resistor plug?

Thanks

Hank

BAS 11-18-2004 08:34 PM

RE: Replacement plug for RCJ7Y

Yes you need the ones with the R in front ,yes they can create noise.

TLH101 11-18-2004 08:44 PM

Check your local NAPA store for the RCJ7Y. I got some here for about $2 a plug. They even stock the little RDJ8J plugs that I use in my FPE 2.4.

tkg 11-18-2004 08:50 PM

WSR7F or more common WSR6F

hankpajari 11-19-2004 12:02 PM

Thanks guys, this is what I thought.

Hank

w8ye 11-19-2004 03:56 PM

I've used the RCJ7Y and the little RDJ8J both in the same engine (not at the same time). I didn't see any difference in the way the engine performed(same rpm). Actually there's not much difference in the actual size of the plugs. They are the same height and the ceramic insulator is about the same size. The difference being as the "C" plug has a gasket and the "D" plug is tapered seat with the smaller hex. The heat range is different but doesn't seem to matter that much?

Right now there is a Bosch WSR6F (Says R10 ### on the insulator) plug in my Homelite 30 which normally uses the Champion RCJ7Y but I have run the RDJ8J in it. What ever's in my flight box?

The non resistor plugs are trouble city and a invitation to disaster in a R/C model.

I bought a box of each specification Champion plugs from the local NAPA auto store. They didn't have the "R" type in stock but had them the next day for me.

I've never had any luck getting the right part from those teenage girls at the Pep Boys store. There's too many other auto parts stores to go to without bothering with Pep Boys.

Enjoy,

Jim

Geistware 11-20-2004 08:47 PM

WHat is a good subsitute for the NGK BPMR6F plugs?

hankpajari 12-01-2004 07:07 PM

Hi

You are right, Napa was able to get them in 1 day. Bought a couple since they are only $2.59 ea.

By the way the plug apparently has a new Champion number, 859.

Hank

boothg-3 07-26-2015 03:18 PM

Orielly auto parts have these available under the part number 859 they are theRCJ7Y at$1.99 each