RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Fox 2.4,3.2 Gas Engines (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/43941-fox-2-4-3-2-gas-engines.html)

2lo 01-30-2002 04:02 AM

Fox 2.4,3.2 Gas Engines

was curious if anyone has had any experience with these engines? just got off there site ,the numbers they post aren't to shabby. comes with ignition and muffler. curious if the wieght they post is with or without ign. and muffler?

3dkid 01-30-2002 04:30 AM

Fox 2.4,3.2 Gas Engines

hey i have a Fox 3.2 i love it powerful and reliable i havent had a problem yet i have almost a gallon through it so far i have a wayy to go before its broken in well hope this helps

David

Carroll-RCU 01-30-2002 01:55 PM

Go with Brison

Why not Brison? Same motor and Ignition! Fox copied Brison and Fox also just raised their prices and are higher than Brison.

Fox
3.2---$575.00
2.4---$475.00

Brison
3.2---$549.00
2.4---$449.00

mpoole 01-30-2002 02:03 PM

Fox 3.2

I have a Fox 3.2 that has been fantastic, using a Mejzlick 21x10 prop and the J&A muffler. Pulls a 17lb Cap out of sight. I have about 30-40 flights on it and am moving to a bigger plane. I'd sell the engine, muffler, spinner, and prop for $525. Street price for all the above is over $700.
mpoole@harris.com

EJB 01-31-2002 02:39 AM

Fox 2.4,3.2 Gas Engines

Hi mpoole,
Can you give us any rpm figures for that Fox 3.2 with the Mejzlik 21x10? Thanks.

2lo 01-31-2002 04:41 AM

fox price & muffler

THANKS FOR THE REPLIES. I've had my eye on Brison. BME ,ZDZ,and Taurus.mainly for the power to wieght ratio. Saw that FOX had many similarities with these manufactures. As for the prices thats always a plus! but i did notice that (or didn't)Brison did not include the muffler in the price. I believe Taurus,BME,and FOX include this. please correct if I'm wrong.
I was also curious if vibration is an issue? i would like to go with something in the 2.4-2.7 range. I've read read somewhere in these threads that taurus was the best balanced engine. What do you all think?

mpoole 01-31-2002 01:33 PM

Fox 2.4,3.2 Gas Engines

My Fox 3.2 turned a max of 7500rpm on the Mejzlik 21x10 right out of the box. I richened down to 7300rpm and have been flying it that way ever since. It might peak higher now that I have a few gallons through it.

EJB 01-31-2002 05:57 PM

Fox 2.4,3.2 Gas Engines

Thanks mpoole.That's about the same as a Brison.
2lo,the Brison does come with a B&B type muffler...& it's loud.

Vince 02-02-2002 03:54 PM

Fox 2.4,3.2 Gas Engines

I really get bored with the comments that Fox copied Brison. It is inevitable that engine design evolves into similarities. First off, Brison does not manufacture their engines, they assemble parts from other manufactures. Call them to order an engine and see how long it will take to get one. Fox on the other hand is a large scale manufacturing facility. Their gas engines are exceptional, and who can fault the Fox warranty and service. I will put a run-in Fox engine up against any gas engine in their displacement/price range. I have a Fox 2.4 that has been flawless, it swings and APC 18x12 at 8500rpm.

Do not take my comments as a slam on Brison, it is a fine engine. Brison service work has been a little spotty in the past, and their engines are hard to get right now. Charlie at Fox will send you one right now if you order it. Some people think Fox does only engines, when in truth the engine market is only a small slice of the Fox business. How many people know that Fox is heavily into manufacturing for defense industry?

Vince

Diablo-RCU 02-03-2002 12:21 AM

Fox 2.4,3.2 Gas Engines

Gee, that would give me a warm fuzzy if I was a soldier relying on Fox-built equipment. Advanced weapons brought to you by the same folks that couldn't figure out how to design a carb that worked reliably on a glow engine.

Maybe they've improved their act, but I kind of doubt it. Their glow engines still look like they were machined by an axe-wielding cave man.

Vince 02-03-2002 01:13 AM

Fox 2.4,3.2 Gas Engines

You obviously have not seen a Fox gas engine, or you would not make such a statement. If Fox copied Brison, then Brison copied A&M, and on and on. Personally I would much rather have an engine manufactured by someone who controls most of the manufacturing (except for cylinder & piston), than someone who manufactures none of it, and contracts the manufacturing out to others, then assembles it.

I have little respect for Fox glow R/C engines, never did like them. I did have a number of Fox C/L engines that were bulletproof however. You cannot refute the Fox warranty on those engines, best in the business IMO. One cannot compare a Fox R/C glow engine of the past to a modern Fox gas engine, unless one has never seen the Fox gas engine <G>.

FYI Fox makes the hardware for parachute harnesses.

Vince

Diablo-RCU 02-03-2002 03:00 AM

Fox 2.4,3.2 Gas Engines

Man, those US Marines must be some very brave soldiers - jumping out of planes with Fox parachutes....q;}

Vince 02-03-2002 03:23 PM

Fox 2.4,3.2 Gas Engines

U.S Parachutes, and Pioneer make the actual chute, Fox makes the hardware. I'm sure you will have some smart %$# reply though.

Vince

cgriffin 02-03-2002 04:32 PM

Fox 2.4,3.2 Gas Engines

I had a Brison 2.4, and yes, it's nearly identical to the Fox 2.4. It's a decent engine for a scale or sport plane, but not for aerobatics. I upgraded it to a BME 2.7, and it was well worth it. Between the heavy Brison and the lead I removed, I saved about 1/2 pound. The BME is noticeably more powerful.

You can't go wrong with a BME. I've heard owners say good things about ZDZ 40's and Taurus, too.

Cliff
http://www.rcfaq.com

stalspin-delete 02-13-2002 09:22 AM

Fox engines

Vince, there are some people that hide on these lists just poke fun. pay them no mind.
ref: FOX engines. the only thing they manufacturer on the gas engines is the crankcase, prop hub and mount. cyl, piston and crank come from Sachs.. Not slamming, just info
Brison, Fox, FPE and ZDZ are similiar only because they all use the cantilever crank design.
Have fun don't fight.

Sport_Pilot 02-13-2002 01:36 PM

Fox 2.4,3.2 Gas Engines

Quote:

Originally posted by Vince
I First off, Brison does not manufacture their engines, they assemble parts from other manufactures.
Vince

Fox has long made gas engines for other companies, many powered skate boards, scooters, etc. have been using engines made by Fox by contract to another manufacture. Rumor has it that Fox was making the engines for Brison.

rmh 02-13-2002 01:37 PM

Fox 2.4,3.2 Gas Engines

oh oh -the old "watch out for the cantilever crank" gag again.

From a guy who admittedly "watches " then jumps in.
Real world- most of the 40 size engines -except for a few are built from commercial piston and cyl assys- a machined case and a 5 piece pressed assembly crank. old tech
They work -but some claim this is a superior setup .
Well -it is the easy setup anyway-
and can be fixed - by a machinist -if you stuff one.
the cantilever crank is a well proven design -used by all the high power glo stuff-and in again in real practice -as smooth running as any setup.
So find something else to base your choice on - which really matters.

mikerc 02-13-2002 07:26 PM

Fox 2.4

1 Attachment(s)
I have a Fox 2.4 that I put on a H9 Edge 540. I ran around 6-8 gallons of fuel though it last summer. It never quit until I ran it out of gas during one flight. This is a very reliable engine. Plenty of power. I had a smoke system on-board so the airplane weighed around 17 lbs loaded. It had plenty of power. I am now installing it on a H9 Cap. I am hoping to keep the weight to around 13 lbs. We shall see. Nice looking engine.

mikerc 02-13-2002 07:29 PM

Fox 2.4,3.2 Gas Engines

My FOX 2.4 will turn a Zinger Pro 20x8 at 7,650. Want more r's advance the timing a few turns. Oh, the muffler is quieter than a Brisons.

Diablo-RCU 02-13-2002 11:54 PM

Fox 2.4,3.2 Gas Engines

And the reason that Taurus engines are so hard to come by is because Stalspin is busy sending posts here instead of boxing and shipping his engines. Meanwhile, the boys at ZDZ are finishing up a new factory to increase production needed to fill the demand. They're gonna eat your lunch Stalspin.....q;}

bpryor 02-14-2002 04:33 AM

Who's eating who's lunch?

I'm betting on Japan to eat everyone's lunch.

Bill

jbflier 02-14-2002 10:48 AM

Han 9 Edge/ 2.4 Engine

Finnz; How did your Edge 540 perform with the 2.4? I have one currently with a Saito 180 in it and love it. I do however have a G-38 that I've been tempted to try out in one. Thanks in advance....

Mike Wiz 02-14-2002 01:25 PM

Fox 2.4,3.2 Gas Engines

This thread is funny...... Fox copied Brison and Brison copied A&M. Except I thought Brison bought A&M and changed the name? I guess that IS copying. But then look at J&As offerings they look like copies too. Don't all the Sachs based engines that use mechanical advance look alike?

I think the Fox copied Brison thing came about when they nearly word for word copied the ad hype off the Brison website for their own. Now that WAS copying and I believe that has since been changed.

If I were to buy a chainsaw conversion today I'd look at the BME offerings and probably Taurus. These guys seem to be inovators the rest look like copies of old technology.

BTW, I've owned 2 Brison 2.4 and a 3.2. They were all reliable and fairly powerful. The 2.4s could have been lighter and the 3.2 was a shaker.

Wiz

mikerc 02-14-2002 03:32 PM

Fox 2.4,3.2 Gas Engines

It flew great but I beefed it up too much. It was heavy 17lbs. You would not know it until you were on landing approach. You have to land a little hot. But you get used to it. Sweet plane.

acep51 09-23-2007 05:20 PM

RE: Fox 2.4,3.2 Gas Engines

I purchased my Brison 2.4 from Garry 2 years ago. It ran very well then and I just brought it to the field again this year. It runs for 5 to 6 minutes through all throttle ranges perfectly then quits at 5 mintues. I pulled the fuel tank and checked all lines, checked the battery (1200 mag NiCad for ignition). It stars as usual but quits at the 5 minute mark. Does anyone have any idea what can be wrong?