RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Help with Fuji 32A (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/6635307-help-fuji-32a.html)

johnny bubba 11-17-2007 01:03 AM

Help with Fuji 32A

Hi all, been lurking eating up all the good stuff here. Have questions about a fuji 32A (not the newer 32B) never run that I "inherited". Found the manual on the fuji site, not a problem. Manual says that the 32A is electronic ignition. OK. BUT, the manual does not say anything how to hook up a battery to this. What is more odd is that the 32A has a big magneto flywheel on the front. Am I missing something!? Looks like the only electrical connection point is for a standard kill switch. Is the "electronic ignition" powered by the flywheel? Looking at the fuji site, it seems that a spring starter is optional...lol. I am so bent on this. Maual has plenty of detail on starting, breakin, oil ratios... but nothing on setting up the kill switch or the so called electronic ignition. HELP...please!

johnny bubba 11-17-2007 11:19 PM

RE: Help with Fuji 32A

no takers?!?!

MSS999 11-18-2007 04:46 AM

OK. I'll have a go.

There are basically two ignition types with a couple of minor variations in commom use on our petrol model egines. The first type uses the magneto to generate the power whilst the second uses a battery. This latter type is what we usually call electronic ignition or EI - it uses a battery for the power and electronic circuitry to convert the low voltage to high as well as to control "ignition firing" at a particular time relatve the position of the piston. The pick-up sensor is usually a hall effect device activitated by a small magnet mounted on the crankshaft.

The older type magneto ignitions used mechanical points to fire the ignition. But those produced since around the 1990's have all used an electronic circuit to replace the points. So if you are a puritan, then modern magneto ignitions are sort of EI. The ignition on the fuji BT32A/B is a magneto type with ATM - it is a magneto that alters the spark timing based on engine speed a bit like some of the real EI's. It is still a magneto type but goes a bit further with the electronics than some of the types used on small strimmers etc. Having said that, the magneto on the Zenoah G38 and a number of chainsaw engines also vary the spark timing in exactly the same manner.

As for the kill swich, wire it exactly the same as any other petrol engine with a magneto. Just do a search for "kill switch" and you have plenty of information.

Hope this helps.

Maninder.

johnny bubba 11-18-2007 04:37 PM

Thanks. Was really wondering. Funny they call it electronic ignition as it is nothing like that on my other engines. I did not buy this engine and am dying for the kill switched ordered to come in. Thanks again.

khodges 11-18-2007 07:29 PM

The straight magneto ignitions don't make a very strong spark unless they're turning about 500 rpm or better, practically impossible to start without a spring starter at the very least, or an electric hand held starter. Forget hand propping one of these. The newer mags have capacative discharge and make a much hotter spark. they still start most easily when spun rapidly, but can be hand flipped. Zenoah uses this, and I suppose most others with newer magneto ignitions. I still like the idea of magnetos, not having to worry about an ignition battery, but the EI's sure are a breeze to start.