RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   G-62 break-in (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/7716809-g-62-break.html)

jake1 07-10-2008 08:04 PM

G-62 break-in
 
I am ready to run a new G-62. What brand two cycle oil and what gas/oil mix ratio?

n8rloves2fly 07-10-2008 08:48 PM

RE: G-62 break-in
 
Lawnboy 32-1 2 -4 gal run it rich take a temp gun for checking temp.

Whistling Death 07-10-2008 11:56 PM

RE: G-62 break-in
 
What he said.

warbirdav8r 07-11-2008 05:09 AM

RE: G-62 break-in
 
I've run lawnboy 32:1 in mine for 15yrs. Still runs great. Set it just a tad rich and fly at first. I havent bench run any of them.

n8rloves2fly 07-11-2008 06:49 AM

RE: G-62 break-in
 
I dont bench run eather. You wouldnt power brake a new car for the first tank or two?

arobatx 07-11-2008 08:47 AM

RE: G-62 break-in
 
Each Zenoah I've owned (actually any gasser)....Pennzoil 40:1 from day one, properly tuned, properly cooled. Standard approximate 12 minute flight times, with full cool down in between flights. Breaking in the engine is more about heat cycling than it is hours or number of gallons. Just tune it, cool it and heat cycle it.

Chad

tkg 07-11-2008 10:32 AM

RE: G-62 break-in
 
A 22x10 prop, Penzoil at 40:1, proper cooling, tune the carb 100 rpm rich, fly the snot out of it (lots of throttle changes).
No long torque rolls or hovering for the first few gallons

Tired Old Man 07-11-2008 03:48 PM

RE: G-62 break-in
 
Put it on the plane and fly it following TKG's and arobatx's advice.

Rcpilot 07-11-2008 06:47 PM

RE: G-62 break-in
 
Quote:

ORIGINAL: tkg

A 22x10 prop, Penzoil at 40:1, proper cooling, tune the carb 100 rpm rich, fly the snot out of it (lots of throttle changes).
No long torque rolls or hovering for the first few gallons

DING! DING! DING!

We got a winner!!! Concentrate on the "40:1" part and the "fly the snot out of it" part. [sm=lol.gif] I dare you to break it. ;)

rcdude7 07-11-2008 08:00 PM

RE: G-62 break-in
 
The G-62 is one tough engine, I have two of them. Wal-mart oil would be fine as long as you follow the suggested mixing ratio on the label. Tune the engine and fly. It is much more likely the engine will be damaged in a mishap than anything else.

n8rloves2fly 07-12-2008 12:19 AM

RE: G-62 break-in
 

[quote]ORIGINAL: rcdude7

The G-62 is one tough engine, I have two of them. Wal-mart oil would be fine as long as you follow the suggested mixing ratio on the label. Tune the engine and fly. It is much more likely the engine will be damaged in a mishap than anything else.
[/quo
i TOTALLY AGREE

Texastbird 07-12-2008 12:34 AM

RE: G-62 break-in
 
Would a 20" prop be ok if ground clearance is a problem? I'm not too worried about having enough power. If not, I'll have to find a longer landing gear for my Big Bee. I'm preparing for the first flight next week if all goes well.

Rcpilot 07-12-2008 10:23 AM

RE: G-62 break-in
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Texastbird

Would a 20" prop be ok if ground clearance is a problem? I'm not too worried about having enough power. If not, I'll have to find a longer landing gear for my Big Bee. I'm preparing for the first flight next week if all goes well.
It's a little small. Might work.

tkg 07-12-2008 07:19 PM

RE: G-62 break-in
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Texastbird

Would a 20" prop be ok if ground clearance is a problem? I'm not too worried about having enough power. If not, I'll have to find a longer landing gear for my Big Bee. I'm preparing for the first flight next week if all goes well.
The engine will love it, your neighbors might not. You should be in the high 7000-mid 8000 range

altavillan 07-12-2008 08:06 PM

RE: G-62 break-in
 
Course with the smallest prop you can drill and fit you need the cheapest breakin oil you can get yer hands on. Or did I miss something.?
Don't mind me, just muttering, lets see, 20x10 prop at 85ish hunerd rpm on whatever oil walmart sells at the cheapest price. Sounds like a hoot! in progress. Then figure the feller doesn't really have a clue bout tightening, balancing, picking out a good strong, prop. But hey! What could possibly go wrong?

n8rloves2fly 07-13-2008 11:04 AM

RE: G-62 break-in
 
Hey like that:D

arobatx 07-14-2008 01:07 PM

RE: G-62 break-in
 
Out of curiosity...texastbird, what plane are you mounting a 62 on, that you only have clearance for a 20" prop? A quality 20x10 three blade might do the trick for you.

Chad

Texastbird 07-15-2008 08:08 PM

RE: G-62 break-in
 
Chad
Its a Bridi Big Bee. I got it in a trade. All new, engine has never been run. I think it was originally designed for a Q35 or a G38. With the landing gear that came on it, I just might have clearance for a 22". I ordered one from TBM and we'll see what happens. I've seen a Big Bee flying with a 3W of around 60CC a couple of years ago. Maybe they had a different gear on it. What would be a quality 3 blade for this size engine? All that is available around here are APCs and (cough) Zingers.

arobatx 07-16-2008 08:15 AM

RE: G-62 break-in
 
Mezjlik 20x10 or 20x12....or maybe a Pt Models 21x10. If you think you can make a 22x10 2-blade happen, that's the direction I'd stick with. Good luck and keep us posted.

Chad

do335a 07-28-2008 07:34 PM

RE: G-62 break-in
 
Everyone says to stick a 22x10 on a G62. Well, I did that on my Giant Aeromaster. It had all the agility of a beached whale. And that's about how fast it moved too. The most I could get out of that engine/prop combination was 6,100 rpm (NX prop). As the engine came out of the box, max RPM with this prop was 5,800. Pathetic. The plane barely got into the air.

I've now changed to a 20x10 prop, which the G62 turns at 7,800 RPM. I've backed it off to 7,400 and it's like a whole different plane. This is with a Pro Zinger wood or MA Classic, wide paddle blade glass filled nylon prop. This combination pulls the plane with good authority.

In my mind, it is absoutely impossible to get anywhere near the suggested 7,200 RPM with a 22x10 mentioned in the instruction manual.

Rcpilot 07-28-2008 09:56 PM

RE: G-62 break-in
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: do335a

Everyone says to stick a 22x10 on a G62. Well, I did that on my Giant Aeromaster. It had all the agility of a beached whale. And that's about how fast it moved too. The most I could get out of that engine/prop combination was 6,100 rpm (NX prop). As the engine came out of the box, max RPM with this prop was 5,800. Pathetic. The plane barely got into the air.

I've now changed to a 20x10 prop, which the G62 turns at 7,800 RPM. I've backed it off to 7,400 and it's like a whole different plane. This is with a Pro Zinger wood or MA Classic, wide paddle blade glass filled nylon prop. This combination pulls the plane with good authority.

In my mind, it is absoutely impossible to get anywhere near the suggested 7,200 RPM with a 22x10 mentioned in the instruction manual.
It is, if you use the stock muffler and slap that prop on it right outta the box. ;)

I break mine in with a bit smaller prop and let 'em spin for a few gallons first. THEN slap the big wood on it and see how she does. ;)

The stock muffler will cost you a BUNCH of RPMs. Replace it with a pitts or side dump muffler and you will see a nice gain in RPM's.

do335a 07-28-2008 10:30 PM

RE: G-62 break-in
 
RCpilot,

I imagine that you are totally correct about the stock muffler. I immediately removed it and chucked it into the engine box. I'm using a Slimline wrap around Pitts muffler.

I've also found as you suggest that the G62 goes much better when new with a smaller prop that lets it rev up a bit. I'll wait until it gets about 3-4 gallons of fuel through it and then try the 22" props again. Right now, I'm at about 2 gallons.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:47 AM.