RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   TGY 52 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/8089610-tgy-52-a.html)

beefy99 05-19-2010 04:41 AM

RE: TGY 52

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

Flew mine yesteday it went very well. On the first flight I had a dead stick so richened up the low end a bit, max rpm is 6600 and tick over is about 1900 with little vibration after adjusting timing. Very happy with engine and would definitely buy another. Here`s some picture of the plane.

NM2K 05-19-2010 12:08 PM

Nice looking model there, 99. Thanks for the pics.

Ed Cregger

willig10 05-19-2010 12:18 PM

Just curious. What size and manufacture prop are you using? I have mine idling at 1450-1500 RPM and top end is 7100 using a Zinger 20x6 propellor. I re-timed the engine to 32 degrees Before top dead center and I have not seen anyone getting the numbers that I have.

I have not tuned the high speed needle to gain all of the RPM for top end as of yet but think I can get a 100 to 200 more RPM out of it.

I have run approximately 3/4 gallon of gas through mine and it just keeps getting better on each run. I can run it at mid range and not get the bobble that some engines seem to have.

I am still running the chineese spark plug and will be chaging to the NGK plug soon. I have been told that with the plug change I will get some more power out it as well.

I am impressed with this engine and can't wait to put it in my Morrisey bravo.

If anyone is interested, I run regular 2 cycle oil at 32:1 ratio

Glenn

beefy99 05-19-2010 01:41 PM

Hi,

This is the link for the prop
[link=http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8158]http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8158[/link]

I did eveything as told to get engine at best setting and have ran it for about 3 litres of fuel, I don`t get any wobbles through out the rev range. The only thing I have not touched is the plug which could do with being gapped but I will likely get a NGK plug instead.

I would reccommed this engine to any one looking for a cheap Gas engine it has plenty of power and pulls my plane around without effort (plane is about 14-16lb)

Enjoy!

jasburrito 06-28-2010 09:30 PM

jasburrito 07-20-2010 02:37 PM

So I changed my plug when new to a rdj7y. would work for like 5 min then die,plugged fowled. changed to champion 5851, worked good,but my buddy was flying his with the stock feng jeng with great results. So I changed mine to the feng jeng with great results. He also try,d both champ plugs with dead sticking results

I also have a ngk bpmr6f
looking at all those plugs that are supposed to be kinda the same. None have the same depth of the feng jeng
the feng jeng goes in the cylinder least amount!

I,m getting another feng jeng
Was getting about 7gs with 20x8 zoar, at start up. 20x6 does not work(weak),just switchrd to a 21x8 zoar. 14ib gb 540 edge 77

Somebody needs to start a spark plug thread with pics so peep know what the diff in the plugs is
but whatever

cheers
use lots of red on exaust bolts or mod for nylock
Added nipple to barametric pressure hole into fuse
I used the bolt out of a spe 26 for the spinner works perfect and is pre drilled.
get zoar prop or 1 with the same inside hole as zoar. some electric tape on bolt for centering and drilling is a breeze, diff hole size like zing,master=nightmare
40/1 QS air cooled
prob fastest plane at the big bird fly in with 20x8,sounded wicked,has pullout of hover

brad-a 02-06-2011 10:50 AM

I started a swarm on HobbyKing for this engine if anyone interesed. Cant go wrong for 138.00

heres the link

http://www.hobbyking.com/SwarmSale.asp?id=134376

Ends in 12 hrs I think. Already at 5 and need 6 to purchase, so it is a sure thing for the sale price If you are thinking about it join . You are not oblibated to buy.

mikes68charger 05-17-2011 09:57 AM

I know this thread seems dead, but I just got my motor running today while home for Lunch.

It was no harder to get running for the first time as my DLE 30cc that I started brakeing in 3 weeks ago.

Im going to follow the DLE brake in guidance on this one, but I will run it a little longer before putting it in my bird. As this motor has 2 pistion rings and I think the DLE only has 1.

So to recap,

What is a good replacement Spark Plug?

What other pitts muffler that will work on this motor?

Also I want to let you guys know, The head was black, and I almost missed the fact it has a cool tool in the bottom of the box.

Thanks Iron Mike

mikes68charger 05-19-2011 11:08 AM

ORIGINAL: ahicks

TGY-52 guys stuggling with the long carb. adapter that moves the carb out away from the cylinder so far, may be interested to know that the same part for the CRRC GF50i is much shorter, and an exact fit! I bought mine for 8.00 or so from gravitybites, who had it in stock, at my door in 4 days.

Not liking the stock spark plug and "shim" that comes with these engines, I was able (with some very capable help) to come up with a Champion part number that uses a conventional gasket arrangement - RCJ7Y. The RDJ7Y is the number often given that matches the original with the tapered shoulder. Haven't run it yet, will get back when I get some time on it. Here's the link discussing what I was thinking of in more detail, pics of the 2 different plugs, w/Champion cross reference charts -

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9613247/tm.htm

Edit: Regarding the swap to RCJ7Y spark plug above - don't make the same 3 dollar mistake I just made. The metal boot on the end of the spark plug wire will not fit this plug. It's WAY too small. The end will have to be changed to allow the use of this plug.

Prop shaft threads - 10mm x1.5 (coarse)
TruTurn prop nut adapter TT-0102-A (10mm x 1.5 - for use with bolt head inside drive hub).

This is some very good info, I got the carb adapter for the CRRC GF50I, while it was not a 5min bolt on deal, it was very very easy. All one has to do is slightly inlarge the holes, to perfectly aline the intake to the head. Then on the very bottom of the head opeing port, I had to file about 2mm in one spot for the factory carb bolt to pass, (or you can use a shorter bolt)

I have worked on raceing car motors for some time, and I was blown away how bad the intake track is on this motor. Besides all the gasget sealer inside every joint, the plastic intake it self need 1/4in or so of materal removed from the floor.

Its bad guys! So this CRRC GF50I intake is perfect, smooth , and perfect transhishions.

On a performance car, with a longer intake you usely get more TQ out of a motor, vs a short intake that makes more HP up top.

As there is not much diffrance in length, (I will messure later) but I needed it to be shorter for my Cowl.

SOthe Good News!!! I know a gain of 100- 150rpm is not a lot, but when building a race motor (or looking for a little more performace) any gain is a good gain!

This is with only 1/4 gal of gas on the motor, with aZinger 20X10 prop, RPM Mesured by digital display conected to the spark controler, and still stock plug/muff.

I belive the next big restiction is the muff, as its the same size and has almost the same exsaust dia as my DLE 30 muff. pluse if you partally cover one pipe while at WOT, you lose almost 2k. in rpm.

I cant wate for my 18X14 prop to show up, I sure she is going to pick up some good RPM

jasburrito 05-21-2011 10:20 PM

Heres a vid of my buddys kat, Use a Zoar 20x8,20x10or21x8. Zinger,ect props do not work.
http://youtu.be/nKkhVfeY_kA
cheers

beefy99 07-10-2011 01:36 PM

Hi,

Is this normal, when I start the engine I have to have the throttle stick a couple of clicks above idle once going I can pull the stick right back and get a idle of about 1900-2000 rpm. As the engine runs and it begin to warm (5-6min various throttle)the idle drops when stick is pulled right back and will cut unless trim is advanced. any ideas?

Thanks.

aussiesteve 07-10-2011 03:05 PM

ORIGINAL: beefy99

Hi,

Is this normal, when I start the engine I have to have the throttle stick a couple of clicks above idle once going I can pull the stick right back and get a idle of about 1900-2000 rpm. As the engine runs and it begin to warm (5-6min various throttle)the idle drops when stick is pulled right back and will cut unless trim is advanced. any ideas?

Thanks.
For the need for a little throttle to get it started, Yes it is. Think about older styles of cars with Carburettors and how they ran when first started.

for the cutting out after it has run for a while, No it isn't.

I am guessing that you are just a tiny bit lean still (open the low needle about 1/16th turn) or that you have a cooling problem frmo a lack of directed airflow over the cylinder.

These engines are not the most reliable low speed idle. It may just be that it doesn't want to idle below about 2000.

ahicks 07-10-2011 04:16 PM

My guess is it's a little rich on the low speed.

Cold, it can use that extra fuel and burns it without hesitation. Warm, it doesn't need it, and doesn't like it. It'll get blubbery and quit unless the idle speed is raised.

It's normal for a cold engine not to idle right down without warming for a few minutes. One that will idle right down is rich. Running it like that is no sin, you just need to set your trim accordingly.

A slightly rich engine is far less likely to die on short final than one that's lean...

Clean 07-10-2011 05:24 PM

Did anyone post a carb  rebuild kit for this motor yet.  Tired eyes may have missed it in the last 7 pages.  My original carb wasn't working after a crash and swapping to a new carb fixed it BUT if I just need to replace reeds and such I'd hate to throw a good carb out.  Well, one that I had to JB weld new pump and fuel inlet tubes into.  It ran BUT if I went from wide open throttle to idle and then tried to go back up, it would run rich till I pinched the fuel tube for a second.  Pinch it too long and it would go lean and die.  Swapping the carb fixed it.  Building a new fuse took care of the other 'Arrival' problems.

When you're flying, no matter how much fun you're having, please try to remember that you're flying.  It really stinks to remember that you're flying and you can't remember how long it's been since you were looking at your plane.  It's a long, woefull story but only my feelings and some replaceable airplane parts were hurt.

ahicks 07-10-2011 05:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Clean

Did anyone post a carb rebuild kit for this motor yet. Tired eyes may have missed it in the last 7 pages. My original carb wasn't working after a crash and swapping to a new carb fixed it BUT if I just need to replace reeds and such I'd hate to throw a good carb out. Well, one that I had to JB weld new pump and fuel inlet tubes into. It ran BUT if I went from wide open throttle to idle and then tried to go back up, it would run rich till I pinched the fuel tube for a second. Pinch it too long and it would go lean and die. Swapping the carb fixed it. Building a new fuse took care of the other 'Arrival' problems.

When you're flying, no matter how much fun you're having, please try to remember that you're flying. It really stinks to remember that you're flying and you can't remember how long it's been since you were looking at your plane. It's a long, woefull story but only my feelings and some replaceable airplane parts were hurt.

One of the better reasons for flying bigger, but slower, planes? I never fly if I'm already having a bad day either....

Clean 07-10-2011 06:05 PM

It was the 4th day of a wonderful fly-in and the one day I did the most work running several events. Finally it was "ME" time and I was flying my favorite NEWtoy. (Almost used a whole gallon of gas that weekend and that's really a lot of flying with this engine) I was coming in from about 10 minutes of flying and decided one more loop around the field would be great. After I got off I noticed that they were going to fly an airplane I wanted to watch so I quickly got into a landing orbit on the downwind side. Also at this time the PA system started playing James Brown's 'Sex Machine' a song I'm rather fond of, so my butt started twitching. Then the guy that owns the PA was behind me and we were doing the bump AND somewhere in all that sillyness I forgot I was supposed to be turning in for a landing. All of a sudden I remembered and looked out just in time to see my plane dirt nap. Certainly we've all experienced those moments when a buddy has said 'look at that' and we've glanced away longer then we'd like. Shoot, I've been playing combat flying my plane in my peripheral vision while looking for a target and then seen someone get a great cut and then realize that somewhere in that furball of 6-10 planes was a plane that I was supposed to be flying. THAT is panic right there, and it's common.

Just not the way I wanted to end out the flyin. But hey, everything is back and hunky dory now. I flew Friday and it's good as new, if not a little better.

The Youtube video link of course has my worse landing. The rest were greasers, REALLY!!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdbtn0x9OsY[/youtube]

huck1199 07-17-2011 01:01 PM

Can the fuel nipple be rotated, it seems pretty stiff.  I flipped the carb over and the nipple sticks out the wrong way.  I don't want to break the nipple base. Thanks

Clean 07-17-2011 06:49 PM

Seeings how I broke mine off in a crash, removed and replaced with brass tube.  I can tell you the nipple is a press fit, not screwed and not glued.  Get a grip on the housing not on the plastic end.  This is a two piece unit, black plastic top and nipple, inner brass that goes into the carb.  You should be able to rotate it but it is tight.  When I replaced mine I usd JB weld to seal it in tight.

Frankie b 09-26-2011 06:59 PM

Several times beeing asked about muffler for this engine. As you have notice it's an angle head as all FTL (as a matter of facts it is a FTL Engine- see FTL Mnfg in the web). Chief Aircrafts has the Pitts Muffler for this: SLIMLINE SLI 2103 for Zenoah G45 and forget about noise and breakages. I'd try a cheap pitts and ended w/slimline.

j301 08-18-2012 10:12 PM

Don't know if anybody is still watching this thread, but here is my story. I've had this engine in a box for a while and decided to take it out to run it in. Replaced the plug to an NGK before anything, mounted it on my stand and thought I would check the timing. It was about 50 deg btc, tried to adjust it and could only get it down to 40 deg btc. Anyone else have this issue? My first thought was to dill and tap 2 new holes for the pick up bracket, but the left (looking at front) hole would be right on the edge of the embossment and might not even then be enough to get down to 30 btc. Im sure the shaft is keyed? Pulling the front hub and rotating the prop shaft wouldnt then be a option? If it was the opposite problem I would just sink a new magnet in the hub, but as it is that wouldnt work either. Any ideas, or just go for the two new holes?
Thanks!

darrolair 08-19-2012 05:24 AM

Hose clamp or Zip ties

Darrolair

j301 09-28-2012 08:11 PM

ORIGINAL: ahicks

TGY-52 guys stuggling with the long carb. adapter that moves the carb out away from the cylinder so far, may be interested to know that the same part for the CRRC GF50i is much shorter, and an exact fit! I bought mine for 8.00 or so from gravitybites, who had it in stock, at my door in 4 days.

I tried ordering this and a muffler from gravitybites, no word, no conformation, no response to emails. I finally had to go through paypal to get my money back. Not sure if its gravity, but something here sure bites!

spec450 10-24-2012 12:45 PM

I put an entire new gasket kit in the carb on mine and the engine fired right up and ran great. After a few hours i started it again and It will barely idle and will not advance to full throttle. Ive adjusted the needles countless times with the same results. It seems as thought its not drawing more fuel to the engine as it goes to WOT. I can see a small bubble in the fuel line and its not moving towards the carb at all.<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!Session data></input><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"/><div id="refHTML"></div>

j301 06-15-2013 09:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thread looks dead, but if anyone is watching, I put the 52 in a giant stick, haven't maidened yet, but it pulled like crazy on the test run.