RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Crankshaft counterweight question (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/8107130-crankshaft-counterweight-question.html)

captinjohn 11-10-2008 05:19 PM

RE: Crankshaft counterweight question

Borna, I got lucky. I do old time engine shows and have 2 engines I show. A lot of people stop and chat about engines of course! I must of gave out my e-mail to the right person. He gave my email to a nice person who emailed out of the blue. She said her husband had passed away and wanted to sell this engine partly done. I drove to her homes a few weeks later and looked at the engine. The hard part of deciding if to buy this engine, was if I thought I could finish it. I bought it and have worked on the rods and pistons. The crankshaft, camshaft, and cylinder bores was done. I got the rest to do. I got to decide if to use one ring per piston or 2. I was thinking of using Boman rings. I got to do the valve guides and valves. I am working on the rocker arms. I got to come up with most easy way to make the valves. I was thinking about using valves for a OS, Magnum, Enya or a YS 4 stroke and making custom guides. The heads have no valve seat ground into it yet also. I got some new glasses coming and plan on getting back to this project! It is fun sometimes...but a pain in the _ _ t other times. I hope someday to hear it run like the first engine I finished. Best Rgards Capt,n

nitro joe 11-10-2008 05:59 PM

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

Borna, I got lucky. I do old time engine shows and have 2 engines I show. A lot of people stop and chat about engines of course! I must of gave out my e-mail to the right person. He gave my email to a nice person who emailed out of the blue. She said her husband had passed away and wanted to sell this engine partly done. I drove to her homes a few weeks later and looked at the engine. The hard part of deciding if to buy this engine, was if I thought I could finish it. I bought it and have worked on the rods and pistons. The crankshaft, camshaft, and cylinder bores was done. I got the rest to do. I got to decide if to use one ring per piston or 2. I was thinking of using Boman rings. I got to do the valve guides and valves. I am working on the rocker arms. I got to come up with most easy way to make the valves. I was thinking about using valves for a OS, Magnum, Enya or a YS 4 stroke and making custom guides. The heads have no valve seat ground into it yet also. I got some new glasses coming and plan on getting back to this project! It is fun sometimes...but a pain in the _ _ t other times. I hope someday to hear it run like the first engine I finished. Best Rgards Capt,n

borna,nice looking parts you made there.

captinjohn, please post some close up pictures of the rods, pistons and such, that you actually machined in your shop, like Borna did. I'm also considering doing a kit from castings. Thanks.

nitro joe 11-10-2008 10:49 PM

Quote:
“I got to decide if to use one ring per piston or 2. I was thinking of using Boman rings”.

captinjohn,
Question: Is this a wet sump engine? if so, are you really considering using a single ring piston in this engine.

Were you given the engineering drawings with the kit? If so, why do you feel the need to deviate from the designer’s specifications with rings and valves?

Woops...Sorry borna for hijacking your thread. ;)

captinjohn 11-10-2008 11:19 PM

Nito Joe, Please PM me and if you give mw your phone no....we can talk about the Holt engine. I also have photos in my computer to email direct to you. Makes it a lot more easy. Thanks capt,n

borna 11-13-2008 10:51 PM

All 4 valves completed. The cylinder sleves are done too. Over the weekend I'm planing to make the 2 pistons and if I get the chance, the rings.
I'll post more pictuers by the end of the week.

Bora

borna 11-16-2008 05:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some more pictures of Roshi-2 inline.
This engine is my own design, once completed, it is going to be 2 cylinder 4 cycle inline water cooled 1" bore 1" stroke.
Next in the list is Crankshaft and Camshaft

RTK 11-16-2008 11:50 PM

Nice

borna 12-11-2008 11:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A little more progress. Crankshaft and flywheel calculations and machining completed.

borna 04-10-2009 10:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More progress

borna 01-08-2010 11:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, here are some more progress on my engine

borna 01-08-2010 11:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Last thing I need is the radiator

dogshome 01-09-2010 06:42 AM

I'm a bit slow - I just worked-out what the clear plastic assembly is and why it's fitted where it is [sm=red_smile.gif]

It looks like you should be adding fuel soon!

borna 01-09-2010 09:41 AM

the clear plastic assembly is the distributor cap with the rotor inside connected to the camshaft.
I could have used waste spark ignition system, but what the hell, decided to go with distributor.

On the other side, the one with the small pulley is the water pump.

Borna

Cyberwolf 01-09-2010 08:44 PM

Nice work, Just a few coments to make
1. Your water pump is designed on a oil pump design and not a impeller like most are. Have you checked the output pressure it puts out by chance. A standard water system is between 8-14 PSI Radiators don't like it much more than that.
2. I never did see your rods or camshaft, did you make them yourself, do you have a pic of those items ?
3. Is the crank balanced with the two blocks that go to the rod pin, I don't see any other counter weights on it, or do you plan on using the flywheel to do the balancing, external type of balance. If so you will need something on the front as well.
4. It apears that you pinned the crank together, did you happen to weld it also.
2 strokes have been pressed together forever and they seem to work fine, but a hard prop strike can throw them out of alignment.
5. Did you go with Bowman rings or decide to just make your own, just wondering what material you used for them if you made them yourself, also what material did you go with for the pistons?
5. Since the crankshaft appears to be one piece what type of bearings did you use?

Sorry for the 50 questions this is just a few things I noticed about your engine.

jack19345 01-09-2010 10:38 PM

Homelite has the formula. The counterweight should be 66 to 68 % of the receipocating weight. If any one wants to argue about this, please call Homelite. I have used this formula in the past and it workked reasonablly well. This is for a single cylinder engine. Good luck.

borna 01-10-2010 11:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Cyber,
Here the answer to you questions
1. The pump, pumps 10 OZ of water per min and has small leakage so I think won't put that much pressures. (by leakage, I don't mean leaking water but rather low flow sloppy pump)

2. Here are some pictures. Each CAM was made separately and silver solider in placed with the right degree apart.

3. Yes I used counter weights on the crankshaft but don't have pictures

4.It is pinned and tig welded (thanks to my friend)

5.Made my own ring. The ring is made of cast iron. The piston is made of 2011 aluminum
good source for piston ring
http://www.5bears.com/pistons.htm

6.for crankshaft I'm just using 2 ball bearings at the end to support it.

Cyberwolf 01-10-2010 01:18 PM

Thanks borna for the info, the url didn't seem to work but that is ok. I'm not acquainted with the 2011, so I am not sure of the expansion rate.

borna 08-24-2010 08:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally the engine is completed. All I need to setup the timing before give it a try
Borna

av8tor1977 08-24-2010 08:40 PM

That's just awesome. I would love to do something like that, but I would have to give up my other 6 hobbies...

AV8TOR

Kostas1 08-26-2010 03:37 AM

borna that's an awsome design!!!

Do you have a video yet?

Cyberwolf 08-27-2010 01:27 PM

Yes indeed that is a nice piece of work. I'm sure your wanting to hear it run.[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]

karolh 08-28-2010 10:38 AM

Richard,

You possibly more than anyone else can appreciate Borna's efforts, which in my mind is summed up in one word .... awesome.

Karol

Kostas1 08-28-2010 10:59 AM

+1[8D]

captinjohn 08-28-2010 11:32 AM

borna
Very nice work indeed. Have you placed your engine on Smokestak?Itisa very interesting website &amp; forum with a lot of hand built engines? Take a look &amp; see waht you think! Capt,n<hr />http://www.smokstak.com/