RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   What do you think about Fuji Engines??? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/8333604-what-do-you-think-about-fuji-engines.html)

ultra6a 01-11-2009 10:30 PM

RE: What do you think about Fuji Engines???

How about the following:

DA, DL, BME, Brison, MT Engines, TOC-53, or Area 51 Engines.

SoCalSal 01-12-2009 01:57 PM

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

ORIGINAL: ultra6a

Here is the "Over / Under" on Fuji Engines

Over Weight
Over Priced

Under Powered

Just curious - what can you recommend that costs less for a casual "Sunday Flyer" who just wants the convenience of a gasser in a simple sport model? Not an IMAC or 3-D.

FUJI
I have the 43 Ei II on a Giant Aeromaster...It works perfect and is more than enough power for this type of model. Some people are "Brand" Horney and won't have anything other than the most expensive and biggest name brand stuff in their lives.

I got my Fuji here on RCU for $375 new in the box.great deal on a sport engine for the Sunday sport flyer.If you want weight reduction and ultimatent performance then pay the price for a DA.I have one of those as well and it too is a fine engine for the perpose intended and it is built here in the good old USA. I also have a Brellille 366gt it will perform as well as any thing in it size range. To bad Scott got sick and had to close down Brellille.I'd buy 3 more of his engine's.

pat s 02-02-2009 10:43 AM

I have a 86 twin fugi with mag paid 609 new runs great but I use a 24 volt starter on all my eng. Also have a 64 a it is a great eng has quite a bit more power than a friends g 62 it is a litle lighter also just bought a 24 w/ mag it runs and sounds great. I also have 4 g38s

on_your_six 10-29-2009 05:01 AM

I have fought my Fugi 43 from the start... dead stick, dead stick, dead stick..... I am sick of the darn engine. It is temperamental and will hardly start sometimes. Most of the time it must be started with a motor. If it floods, forget it... pull the plug and use a cigarette lighter to dry it out.

After flying another brand 50+cc engine, it makes me want to junk the Fugi into the sea. Overweight, Underpowered, overpriced just about covers this engine. It might just make a good boat anchor for a boat you don't care about.

on_your_six 10-29-2009 05:02 AM

dbl post

anthonymio 10-29-2009 04:01 PM

It amazes me how maligned the poor Fuji is. I own two of them. A 43EI and a 24EI. I also own two DA50s, a DA85 and a DA100. The Fuji’s do not make the power of the DA’s, however, they both start easily, run reliably and the 24 in particular is one of the smoothest running engines I have had the pleasure to run. The 24EI is in a GP P6-E and is fully cowled. It runs reliably from the start of a flight to the end, even in the 110+ temperatures of our Arizona summers. The same for the 43EI and it’s been doing so reliably for over three years. Yes, parts are expensive, yes the DA makes more power, and yes they may be more expensive than the new batch of Chinese engines, however, I believe, for a scale application were ease of operation and reliability is important, you can’t go wrong using them. I know a bunch of doubters at our field that have changed their minds about the Fuji being a “boat anchor”.

on_your_six 10-29-2009 05:50 PM

Maligned???? I have been mostly silent on this issue... your experience may differ, but mine is truthful and first person. No hearsay, I have found this engine to be less than poor. I did not mention other engine names, but I have flown several. I don't think that it is right to compare an engine to another that is twice the cost(DA), so I don't. You live in the desert... I live on the east coast. Your altitude might also make a difference. Mine is pretty much sea level.

Good for you, if yours works ... it does not for me. At the moment, I am the only one flying Fugi at my field that I know of. It is certainly not gaining any traction here. There are other engines in the same or less price range giving a better value. If people see good performance, they buy the engine.... if they see the cowl off and tools always out, they notice that too. I even put a $120 C&H ignition module on it (ran much better, no radio noise now). Still having problems. My other gas engines are easier to keep running (and starting)

All that being said, it actually ran today... I don't trust it... and forget about any 3D. Reliable??? NOT EVEN CLOSE and others need to know when selecting an engine.

Bax 10-30-2009 09:13 AM

The main problem we've found when people have difficulties with the Fuji-Imvac engines is a clogged carburetor screen and badly-adjusted needles. They use the same Walbro carburetor other engines use, so it's not carburetion that causes a difficulty. If an engine quits in mid-flight, it either has a fuel delivery problem or a cooling problem. If it will run "all day" on the ground, then nothing's wrong with the engine. However, that's not to say that any one engine may have a difficulty the user cannot control.

As the service center, we're perfectly happy to have anyone send us their engine to see what the difficulties may be.

Super08 10-30-2009 09:48 AM

I had a couple of 43's and had no problems with mine. I sold them to a friend who still has one and he calls it his timex, just keeps on ticking. It is mounted on a Giant Stick.

on_your_six 11-01-2009 05:23 AM

Badly adjusted needles??? I start with the suggested settings and go from there... exactly 1/4 off high setting at the moment.
Clogged Carb Screen... I have taken it apart so many times I can do it blindfolded.
Clogged Fuel System.... Not that Either
Overheated??? ... I have so many holes in my cowl that it would not pass FDA for Swiss cheese.
Other experianced people at the field have "adjusted it"... seems to run fine on the ground.

The engine has been back to central one time... now it will be propping a door open. Can you say lemon?

ORIGINAL: Bax

The main problem we've found when people have difficulties with the Fuji-Imvac engines is a clogged carburetor screen and badly-adjusted needles. They use the same Walbro carburetor other engines use, so it's not carburetion that causes a difficulty. If an engine quits in mid-flight, it either has a fuel delivery problem or a cooling problem. If it will run ''all day'' on the ground, then nothing's wrong with the engine. However, that's not to say that any one engine may have a difficulty the user cannot control.

As the service center, we're perfectly happy to have anyone send us their engine to see what the difficulties may be.

Tom in Cincy 11-02-2009 10:01 PM

There are 2 Fuji 86 Twins flying at our field. I own one. It has an electronic ignition. I have never used an electric starter on it. It powers a 96" Lanier Edge 540 very well. Extremely low vibration and an idle to die for. These are very good motors. I love the way mine runs and would not hesitate to recommend the motor. As a matter of fact hearing it run is all the recommendation needed.
Tp

the Wasp 11-02-2009 11:27 PM

OK OK I'm back,, I have to say that at over a year old my friend got his Fuji 32cc replaced free, I don't know if it was HS or Towers but they sent him a new 34cc..

w8ye 11-03-2009 12:49 AM

The only Fuji I was around, a guy had a new one at his house right after Christmas, we started it up and after about five minutes a hole melted through the cylinder head.

He took it back to the Hobby shop and Hobbico replaced it eventually.

on_your_six 11-04-2009 05:01 PM

Fugi 43... spent 4 hours today trying to get it to run... finally got it started... flew once... could not get started again...

I think that might be the last time that engine flies ever.... I know... Fuel/Air/Fire well, that engine does not seem to know that it should run.

I have a couple of other choices, and my time is worth more than this trash.

Bax 11-05-2009 09:52 AM

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

Fugi 43... spent 4 hours today trying to get it to run... finally got it started... flew once... could not get started again...

I think that might be the last time that engine flies ever.... I know... Fuel/Air/Fire well, that engine does not seem to know that it should run.

Has the engine ever been to our service department to be checked out? Such difficulties need inspection so that we can know what's causing such problems for you. We'll be glad to check it out.

on_your_six 11-08-2009 08:06 AM

I already said it had been returned to you guys once, if I send it in again, I don't want it back. Nothing but trouble again yesterday... we carefully put a carb kit into it and brand new plug. Today it is coming off the plane and a DLE55 is going back on. I am tired of wasting time on an engine that needs service every time you fly it. Run ok one flight and then crap out on the next.

FUGI NEVER AGAIN.

ORIGINAL: Bax

Has the engine ever been to our service department to be checked out? Such difficulties need inspection so that we can know what's causing such problems for you. We'll be glad to check it out.

blw 11-08-2009 10:53 AM

I already said it had been returned to you guys once,
He was trying to be helpful without knowing much of your situation.

Tired Old Man 11-08-2009 11:31 AM

Bax,

With all due respect, the distributor has never done much to allay the public concerns about the Fuji line. The extensive ingition interference problems, the broken crank problems, the ridiculous oil ratios originally published for the engine, the extremely high price of the "manufacturer" recommended oil, were all discovered, discussed, and generally handled by people other than the distributor. Had the distributor honestly come out and admitted the issues, and made concerted efforts to get the engines straightened out, you might have had a chance to develop market share among gas engine beginners. But the distributor either ignored or refused to admit there were issues so people went elsewhere. The assistance of the distributor was conspicous in it's absence. Customers should not have to expect a need to repeatedly send their engines back in for check ups or upgrades in order to enjoy their purchase. They need to work as advertised when they come out of the box. If service is needed, the turn around needs to be relatively quick. Customers don't need to be waiting a month or more from the day they sent an engine for service for product to be returned.

I'm anticipating the distributor will slowly eliminate the Fuji line from the catalog as the new product line gains traction. Hopefully the distributor has learned something and will take better care of the customers purchasing those engines. Fact of life the distributor depends heavily on the less educated modeler for sales. Those with more knowledge and experience know of better products to fill their needs and typically don't shop with the Fuji distributor for gas engines and associated products, so the distributor needs to wake up and show some concern for the customer.

on_your_six 11-09-2009 05:54 AM

The way that I interpret that comment is... We the company are trying to promote the product as being ready to service it (saving face-you pay for repairs), even when some pee-on says something is wrong. That is fine. I am trying to say the whole engine DESIGN is lousy and does not work. Bax has responded once before in this thread... Thankyou, but every manuf will put that out in public and then individually the attitude and result changes.

Notice that I am not asking for refund, return, exchange or any compensation whatsoever.... I just want it to be known, in public what a completely frustrating costly experience this has been.

Tired Old Man said many things that I totally agree with, unfortunately the engines that work great are so expensive.... I am distraught that Tower is beginning to distribute the DL engine line.

ORIGINAL: blw

I already said it had been returned to you guys once,
He was trying to be helpful without knowing much of your situation.

blw 11-09-2009 11:26 AM

Notice that I am not asking for refund, return, exchange or any compensation whatsoever.... I just want it to be known, in public what a completely frustrating costly experience this has been.

Okay, your goal has officially been accomplished.

on_your_six 11-10-2009 05:28 AM

That is exactly why RCU is such an unfriendly place.... what purpose did your comment serve? If I had saved you $449.97 (current list) by not buying this engine, I am sure you would be appreciative and not be mocking me. And from a moderator???

ORIGINAL: blw
Okay, your goal has officially been accomplished.

on_your_six 11-11-2009 03:42 AM

Nice how my responding comment was moderated off the board... freedom of speech??? Not here!

on_your_six 11-11-2009 02:59 PM

And once again, my responding remark has been removed. Now what about the blade 400 3D... another product of note?