RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   What do you think about Fuji Engines??? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/8333604-what-do-you-think-about-fuji-engines.html)

Check6 01-08-2009 08:28 AM

What do you think about Fuji Engines???

Anybody have any experience with the Fuji engines, specifically the 64 and the twin 84??
Ease of starting, longevity, repairs, power??? All comments welcome.
Thanks,
Fred

Super08 01-08-2009 10:10 AM

RE: What do you think about Fuji Engines???

The general consciences is that they are heavy and under powered. Having said that I do own two BT43EI-2's and a BT34EI. I haven't run the 34 yet but the 43's run very nice. They are easy to start and tune. Power wise my 43's turn a Xoar 20x8 at 7300 to 7400 rpm with a little over one gallon through them. The cylinders look to be all steel and they have double ring pistons and look to be very well made. Some of the cranks have three bearings and some have two, depends on the engine model. Weight wise, what they list on Towers site is out to lunch. My 43's weigh less than a DL50, but somewhat more than a SPE 43.
For problems some have complained about noisy ignitions, mine have been good. Parts are expensive compared to other brands. The older magneto models were apparently hard to start and were problematic. C&H and other have EI conversion kits for them.

As for the 64 and the 86, the 64 kinda looks interesting depending on what you are going to use it for. The 86 twin I think I would go for a DL100, Area 102 or RCGF 100 before I got that one.

Super08 01-08-2009 10:25 AM

Out of curiosity I went and checked the weights on the SPE, the Fuji and the DL from my post above. The SPE 43 is 51 oz, the Fuji 43 is 56 oz and the DL 50 is 60 oz. This is with ignition and stock mufflers. Towers web site lists the Fuji 43 at over 4 pounds!!! This is half a pound more than what it actually weighs.

Edit: I forgot to mention in the 64cc class take a look at the MT62. It is a clone of the Zenoah G62 but with electronic ignition. Nice motor. RCGF has a copy of the G62 as well with a rear carb.

Jake Ruddy 01-08-2009 11:39 AM

Fuji's generally lack power compared to other brands.

The real kicker is the cost of replacement parts for Fuji.

In short, I try not to think of Fuji at all :)

Tired Old Man 01-08-2009 12:37 PM

I try not to think about Fuji engines.

larry@coyotenet 01-08-2009 01:21 PM

First thing to remember about this forum is you will get lots of replies from people who have never owned a Fuji telling you how bad they are. This is not restricted to Fujis but applies to almost all engines. That said, I have two Fujis, and have seen most of the others flown.
In my opinion the Fujis are similar in performance to the Zenoah engines in the same displacement. Cost of replacement parts are way out of line! My 50 and 32 both run quite well and are easy to start when you get the hang of it. Power is OK, better than the Chinese engines which are so popular at the moment. Fujis tend to be very smooth running. The 43 is a nice engine with good power, I have not seen the 86 or 24 so I have no opinion on them. As far as weight is concerned don't believe anything you read! Some engines come with very light weight mufflers, or none at all. Some, like the Fuji and Zenoah come with steel boat anchors! Both the Fuji and the Zenoah motors will be around long after the others have bit the dust. If I were in the market for a Warbird or sport engine I would go for the Zenoah right now.
I would have no problem also going with the Fuji. If you want to hover go with a good quality engine like a 3W, DA, or ZDZ.

Larry

Tired Old Man 01-08-2009 01:42 PM

Also remember that there are a few people that will speak up about the knowledge of others without ever knowing what they were talking about.

mrbigg 01-08-2009 01:46 PM

Guy at the field has a 43 in a GP Aeromaster bipe. Seems to run good and I don't think he's had any problems.

Jake Ruddy 01-08-2009 04:22 PM

Fuji 84 Twin - $899

Specs
Displacement: 5.2 cu in (86.0cc)
Practical RPM Range: 1100-8500
Output: 7.5bhp @ 8500 RPM
Weight: 7.46 lbs, 119 oz, (3,388 g) with muffler
6.73 lbs, 107oz (3,054 g) without muffler

RCGF 100CC Twin - $699

Specs:
Engine Displacement (cc)- 100cc
Speed range- 1500-9000rpm
Maximum Output- 9.6hp/7.4KW
Weight - with ignition & muffler- 5.73lbs or 91.7 ounces (2600g)
Weight - w/o ignition & muffler- 4.89lbs or 78.3 ounces (2220g)

Or Used DA 100 - $900 (easy to find)

Specs:
Displacement: 6.10 ci (100 cc)
Output: 9.8 hp
Weight - w/o ignition and mufflers: 5.47 lbs or 87oz (2.49 kilos)

Maybe The Fuji specs are a little off... but sure looks a lot heavier to me and def. lacking power.

I have a RCGF 45 here that is around $275 that will walk all over a Fuji 50 at $499.

the Wasp 01-08-2009 09:53 PM

I know 2 people that have owned a total of 3 Fujis,,

so, you don't want to know what I think of them [X(]

""Power wise my 43's turn a Xoar 20x8 at 7300 to 7400 rpm""

my MVVS 35cc will turn a 20x8 those numbers, but then again my MVVS is a better engine ;)

Jim

telejojo 01-08-2009 10:43 PM

They make good boat anchors........................

the Wasp 01-08-2009 11:33 PM

""They make good boat anchors""

Oh LOL,,, now I wouldn't go as far as to say that LOL, I would say if you used one AS a boat engine then you would not have to worry about blaming a plane crash on the Fuji,,

or,, they are better than no engine at all, but then again I guess you could Slope Soar..

OK here's the skinny,,

1) my friend had two 80ccs, the 2nd engine was a replacement for the first engine, both engine NEVER ran good at all, started very hard, and were low on power,, my friend sent the 2nd engine back with only 2 or 3 tanks run threw it and he couldn't get his money back, he had to take "store credit"

2) my other friend bought the 32 about a year ago, with less than 2 gallons run threw it, it seams to run OK, but it's crank has a lot of side to side run-out, and the crank also has a lot of in/out play,, with less than 2 gallons threw it it will only get worse,,,, I have a funny feeling this friend is going to be stuck with this engine..

ok I said what I had to say, I will stay out of it now, if I say any more I will be bashing and I don't care to be a basher..

god the cabin is starting to getting small !!
Jim

Tired Old Man 01-09-2009 12:22 AM

They run, but they are not the best value for the dollar spent.

Charlie P. 01-09-2009 12:43 AM

I've got the 43 EI in my G.P. Ultimate 1.60 and I'd say the comparison to a Zenoah is a good one (I also have a G-26). Not the cutting edge like a 3W , but then they're not priced there, either. 20% less in cost and performance than DA. 40% less than 3W (also in cost and performance). If you need the performance and have the tucker go with the better engines. If you're sport flying a modest model maybe the Fuji is the better choice. What do you need? As the old Russian aircraft poster said in WWII: "Perfection is the enemy of good enough".

Can't speak for longevity yet. Just got it last year. Seems well made. No breakdowns. There are several in our club (including the new BT-24) and they seem to run when asked.

As far as boat anchor you can get a CQR 35 that will hold 15,000 pounds of boat in 40 knot winds which is better than a DA 50, Cactus 3W and Fuji 43EI COMBINED and for less money than any of them. No comparison there. I don't even think it is a sensible alternative. ;-)

longman 01-09-2009 12:54 AM

dont know. lol

thevirginian 01-09-2009 09:36 AM

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

They run, but they are not the best value for the dollar spent.
TOM, you are pretty close with this statement. I owned two Fujis, the 50 and the 43. The 50 was a brick with little power. Actually it is a true 46, not a 50. Still puzzles me why Fuji advertises it as a 50cc, though. Now, the 43 is a differnt story. For me it is a decent engine, which I enjoyed for three years flying in my GP Ultimate. I recently sold this combo to a friend of mine and he loves it. I would have never sold it to him if that motor was a lemon. It never let me down, always started easily and still has plenty of power for this size airplane. It swings a Mejzlik 20x10 at 7+K. When I bought this combo over three years ago, the selection on gassers were not nearly as huge as it is nowadays. Would I buy a Fuji today? Most likely not because of that very reason: Many more and better choices

mrbigg 01-09-2009 11:43 AM

Sometimes Tower gives combo prices and then more discounts when you spend over a certain amount. That's when the Fugi becomes attractive. The 43, anyway.:)

ultra6a 01-09-2009 04:21 PM

Here is the "Over / Under" on Fuji Engines

Over Weight
Over Priced

Under Powered

NCIS 01-09-2009 05:01 PM

I have a question? Would you buy a Fuji or a 3W?

Gibbs

Jake Ruddy 01-09-2009 07:16 PM

Really I think that question has been answered... 3W over a Fuji without putting a fraction of a sec. thought into ;)

Charlie P. 01-10-2009 12:36 AM

ORIGINAL: ultra6a

Here is the "Over / Under" on Fuji Engines

Over Weight
Over Priced

Under Powered

Just curious - what can you recommend that costs less for a casual "Sunday Flyer" who just wants the convenience of a gasser in a simple sport model? Not an IMAC or 3-D.

Jake Ruddy 01-10-2009 11:02 AM

http://www.zrcgf.com/

I am finishing up a review where I used the 45 in. I am doing a mini review on the 45 as well although it won't have as much time on as it as I would like because of the weather this year. So far I am quite impressed with the power and performance of it though. Henry seems to be a great guy to deal with.

Lots of good info here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7823494/tm.htm

the Wasp 01-11-2009 03:42 AM

""what can you recommend that costs less for a casual "Sunday Flyer" who just wants the convenience of a gasser in a simple sport model?""

find someone that has a used quality engine for sale..

Jim

reincarnate 01-11-2009 09:57 AM

I have the 50EI on a GP Pitts Special. I bought the airplane here on the marketplace RTF. It's still in the air after 3 seasons with the Fuji, and won't be changed. It starts within 10 flips from cold ( well, after a little learning curve early on;) ) has never once quit on me in the air, and flies the airplane exactly the way I enjoy flying a big heavy bipe. No 3D, scale-like aero, and still running strong on final. I love flying the airplane, so the Fuji is included by proxy.

If I built the plane now....? Probably a 3W or one of the Evolution 58's, maybe a DL at the outside. I doubt the Fuji would even be considered.

3dd 01-11-2009 11:29 AM

i would recommend 3w anytime someone wants a powerful engine but you need an engine that runs good and saves a few bucks then look for a used 3w or da or dl in that order..fuji junk don't even get mentioned in the same sentence and i have owned two of the junkers and know what kinda luck i had with them and the service was even more of a joke than the specs