RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   g26 remote choke (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/8900735-g26-remote-choke.html)

bokuda 07-02-2009 10:41 AM

g26 remote choke

I'm putting a G26 in a 1/4 scale Taylorcraft and need ideas on installing a manually operated remote choke. The cowl fully encloses the engine and I'd prefer not to have anything protruding from the cowl unless it's on the bottom. The engine is mounted inverted which puts the choke lever upwards. I mentioned manually operated since the detent on the choke seems too stiff to be operated by a servo.

Also, there will be a throttle servo on the firewall leaving no room for a choke servo. I don't want to run a choke servo from the inner fuse because I have a full cockpit, and running a stiff, or even flexible, rod would not be practical. (Thus, the firewall mounted throttle servo.)

I may have to go to a bellcrank mechanism with a lever or push-pull wire on the bottom of the cowl.

Anyone have any ideas?

I may post this inquiry in other forums.

bps 07-02-2009 12:04 PM

RE: g26 remote choke

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of my 3 position choke switch on my Dr1. Standard servo is mounted in fuse. I have also read where some folks solder up the hole in the choke plate to get better choking. Hope this helps. The picture of the servo on the firewall is a micro switch mounted on a micro servo for back up ignition kill. I also have an ignition kill in the cocpit.

bokuda 07-02-2009 03:58 PM

Thanks, Jeb.

This gives me some ideas. I guess I could use the nose wheel arm as you do with a 90 degree bellcrank attached to the firewall to a rod that would exit the bottom of the cowl. That seems to be my best option so far.

Charley 07-09-2009 04:54 PM

I had a G26 mag in a H9 100" Super Cub. I was able to reach the choke arm - a nose steering arm I'd installed - through the air intake on the left side. I'd reach in and put it on choke, spin it with my starter until it popped, reach in and take it off choke and spin it until it started. Worked every time when cold. Didn't need to choke it when it was warm.

CR

bokuda 07-09-2009 06:51 PM

I managed to find a way to fit a servo to operate the choke on the firewall along with the throttle servo.

I can post a photo if anyone is interested.

sgtshultz 12-06-2011 07:59 PM

Looks great

What type of switch is that or what is it called?

Thanks

w8ye 12-06-2011 08:03 PM

ORIGINAL: bokuda

I managed to find a way to fit a servo to operate the choke on the firewall along with the throttle servo.

Pictures or it didn't happen?

bokuda 12-07-2011 05:43 PM

ORIGINAL: w8ye

ORIGINAL: bokuda

Pictures or it didn't happen?

Yes, it happened. Unfortunately the plane did not survive its first flight and I did not take photos of the firewall. It will be rebuilt this winter.

w8ye 12-07-2011 06:03 PM

Get us pictures of the rebuild when you can

captinjohn 12-08-2011 07:49 AM

Yes, it happened. Unfortunately the plane did not survive its first flight and I did not take photos of the firewall. It will be rebuilt this winter.<hr />What happened???

bokuda 12-08-2011 03:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

Yes, it happened. Unfortunately the plane did not survive its first flight and I did not take photos of the firewall. It will be rebuilt this winter.<hr />What happened???
Not sure. It cartwheeled on takeoff. Seemed to have plenty of speed/power. All controls were correct. I've been at this hobby for 50 years so have a lot of experience. First time I've lost a plane on its first flight.

It was a heartbreaker as I put a lot of effort into this and it was the best, most detailed plane I've ever built. I pretty much gave up the hobby for a year after that.

My model on the left, 2 of full scale on the right.

w8ye 12-08-2011 03:57 PM

I hope you get it repaired.

Make sure you have a little toe-in on those main wheels

captinjohn 12-08-2011 04:12 PM

Wow, that sure was a nice airplane. I bet with you talents of building that good, you will be able to fix it just as good as it was. I am very sorry that happened. Years ago I hit a electric wire dead on and the airplane looked like it exploded. I felt the same way as you did. It was one of the best I ever made/built. Still not as good looking as your airplane. Best Regards and I hope that feeling of good building comes back soon.

Capt,n

AA5BY 12-09-2011 08:35 AM

Sorry to hear about the mishap and wishing you the best of luck with the Taylorcraft rebuild. I've been down that road twice.

I purchased a Hanger 9 Taylorcraft used that had suffered some minor damage by original owner who did a good job with repairs. I crashed it when it tip stalled after turning onto final from base leg with a fairly strong cross wind (tail wind on base leg). The crash completely tore up the front end. It was rebuilt by re-sizing the front end to the newer Hanger 9 cowl and wind screen. It flew for about five minutes on the maiden after the rebuild and the Zenoah G-23 quit (cause was found to be a crimped vent line) and I foolishly tried to make a non powered turn back into the wind to land and it tip stalled and tore up the front again.

The second rebuild was much easier as most of the parts were fit back together. It has flown several times since and flies ok. I did make some changes in the setup and programed some differential in the ailerons as well as mixed some up trim in the ailerons at low throttle to simulate some wash out to reduce tip stall tendency.

I agree with the suggestion to solder the hole in the choke plate closed. It makes getting a cowled gas engine started much easier. I've used both hand operated choke levers and servo operated. Both work fine.

Again... best of luck with the rebuild... if possible, document the rebuild as it takes place with pics. It is fun to follow a rebuild as it takes shape and see how various builders go about it.

bokuda 12-09-2011 03:42 PM

ORIGINAL: AA5BY

Sorry to hear about the mishap and wishing you the best of luck with the Taylorcraft rebuild. I've been down that road twice.

I purchased a Hanger 9 Taylorcraft used that had suffered some minor damage by original owner who did a good job with repairs. I crashed it when it tip stalled after turning onto final from base leg with a fairly strong cross wind (tail wind on base leg). The crash completely tore up the front end. It was rebuilt by re-sizing the front end to the newer Hanger 9 cowl and wind screen. It flew for about five minutes on the maiden after the rebuild and the Zenoah G-23 quit (cause was found to be a crimped vent line) and I foolishly tried to make a non powered turn back into the wind to land and it tip stalled and tore up the front again.

The second rebuild was much easier as most of the parts were fit back together. It has flown several times since and flies ok. I did make some changes in the setup and programed some differential in the ailerons as well as mixed some up trim in the ailerons at low throttle to simulate some wash out to reduce tip stall tendency.

I agree with the suggestion to solder the hole in the choke plate closed. It makes getting a cowled gas engine started much easier. I've used both hand operated choke levers and servo operated. Both work fine.

Again... best of luck with the rebuild... if possible, document the rebuild as it takes place with pics. It is fun to follow a rebuild as it takes shape and see how various builders go about it.

Thanks. This plane was built from Hostetler plans and the front of the fuse was extensively modified to accept a full cockpit and hide all the wiring etc. It was a lot of work. The fuse was totally destroyed and a new one will have to be built although most of the scale "goodies" are still useable. I'm hoping I can transplant the empennage to the new fuse. There was some damage to one wing which is repairable. I intend to start on it after Christmas when I will be retired! Entering at least one scale contest is on my bucket list.

captinjohn 12-09-2011 05:17 PM

That is a good way to start a retirement. Best of luck, I know you can do it. Best Regards Capt,n