RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   RCAero JC Engines & YDA Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/9541568-rcaero-jc-engines-yda-engines.html)

cold_reboot 12-02-2010 05:53 AM

RE: RCAero JC Engines & YDA Engines

How much time on it

s3nfo 12-02-2010 06:13 AM

Is the time going to be right soon, or should I just order a DLE 20 for the Mustang I've had waiting for an engine since Aug?

Sorry, Henry, you're a stand-up guy, but all these changes, Steve and Henry, Henry on his own, Henry and Steve. Engines manufactured in Aussieland, engines manufactured in U.S., engines designed locally, but manufactured by JC engines, 38 available in Aug/Sept, 23 avail in Oct with no updates wears my patience thin.

ORIGINAL: Piston

Hey BOYZ....

Sorry for being away for so long.... When it rained.. holy crap it poured.. but sunshine is coming... Taking care of business took longer than I expected. I have been gone from here for far too long and I do apologize to all of you. There has been little time for anything else... There is a lot of stuff happening on the blogs that I will eventually get into and start commenting on shortly....

BUT BUT BUT.. in-spite of this.... How about a great announcement...

RC Aero Products has (is) partnering up with Xoar International (aka Bob's Hobby Hangar).

Steve Thomas (Mr. Xoar) and I have been working together for a long time now and we have developed a great working relationship. Our warehouse is located at his place. It has proven to be a win/win for both of us. Steve is an outstanding individual who is among one of the most knowledgeable and successful guys in the hobby business. Steve owns and runs Bob's Hobby Hangar, and XOAR International, plus a couple of others too. He is a BUSY person. He is one hell of an accomplished pilot. He is and continues to be one of the top fliers at Top Gun too. His building skills are as good as his flying skills. He and I have spent many pleasant hours in his work shop, and I am looking forward to spending many many more.

Steve will be assuming all responsibility for the RC Aero Product line up, and of course all of his products too. Sales will still be going through RC Aero Products web site and expanding to other sales networks too. I am stepping away from the day to day tasks but assuming a bigger role in the technical aspects. The decision was made in order to expand the product line and scope of influence. Steve is more than capable of accomplishing this.

Future plans for us includes manufacturing too. I am working on this with Steve Thomas and the great people and organization that he has and when the time is right the announcements for this will be made.

Cheers to all (and please forgive me for my absents)

farmerric 12-02-2010 09:46 AM

I agree with s3nfo
Why are we waiting for Henry to invent another engine to be manufactured by China and then go through all of the debug and development pains? And then another series of quality failures after they achieve success, as the Chinese exercise their business plans and screw their distributors, a process so aptly described by our Australian friends? And how do we differentiate the JC offerings in their ads from Henry's designs? The only reason that I can see is to support a guy who has always been upfront and supportive of his customers, in spite of the bad deals he has been through. Me thinks he may crash and burn again with the odds and situation that he is up against. I have my eye on a Syssa made here in the USA. It will go in my recently acquired AW Cessna 195. Good luck Henry, I still respect your goals and integrity, but I do not see light at the end of your tunnel.

Tired Old Man 12-02-2010 10:30 AM

I have the answer to your question but you won't like it. However, but the Chinese and some of their distributors depend on it being so for their survival.

It's because consumers are stupid. Think it through, using logic and history, before becoming angry or arguementative. If you do so, and look long and hard at the way consumers decide on their discretionary purchases. you'll see all the evidence that makes it so.

apalsson 12-02-2010 11:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man
It's because consumers are stupid.
HAHAHAH ... we recently saw a wonderful proof of that in a thread on FG where 10 pages of drivel flared up in around 24 hours (was it 2 days?) following someone making some statements well suited to cause a brand war alleging the same thing!
The FG audience quikly lined up to prove the point. I think they take themselves a bit seriously over there !
What a spectacle that was! :D

Q500RC 12-02-2010 12:10 PM

famerric me thinks the crash and burn has already occured and we are just now starting to realize it! I believe it happened back in april when Steve didn't make it to Toledo!!! After
which time we kept getting all of the posts by Henry about just a little longer and Steve would have all the testing done on the new line and the production would start. Then it was
just a little longer and then just a little longer until it was I'm going to AussieSteve's to finalize the deal. Shortly there after it was Steve is getting out due to personal reasons
which I wonder was code for Steve sees way to much money outlay for the return coming back in a bad economy!!

Then Henry was going to go it alone with a reduced engine line including only the 23cc, 28cc, 38cc, and 60cc in the single cylinder line which was about half of the original line
that was going to be produced. Now it is being produced in China at JC Engines a long way from Steve being the OEM. It was however understandable given the startup expense
that Henry would of faced once Steve that already had a CNC shop setup decided to jump ship! Then Henry dissapeared and silence fell on th YDA/JC forum for the most part.

Now the last post to introduce Steve at the hobby shop as the new man to move YDA/JC forward! With engines produced in China of course!!!

Seems like a long way around to get to where we are at this point a year down the road and from when Steve was testing the prototypes to get them ready for Toledo last April
doesn't it?? I would ask where are we today with the new line? But i'm not sure at this point Henry really has an answer for us? Henry is a good guy that has serviced his products
well and will work on getting the line going again I'm sure and I for one do look forward to his products for the future as I do like my JC28cc but it just seems like the economics aren't right
at this time for the new engine line.

I suppose for the time being we will have to look else where for motors until things get a bit better.

I hope I'm wrong but it is pretty tough out there for the small business man now days and many are layed off and I keep hearing sales are down for most R/C sales outlets right now! I doubt
there is much money to be made at this point for those that already have there engines on the market? So tough times for new engine lineups likely.

aussiesteve 12-02-2010 03:05 PM

Hey Q500RC
Not quite. but here is a clarification.

The only reason I didn't make Toledo was to do with a plaster cast on my arm. The airlines simply wouldn't let me fly - apparently a cast can be used as a terrorist weapon and the risk of DVT is too high (those were the excuses given me by the airlines anyhow). The cast had nothign to do with anything RC - I was doing something dumb when I flipped my skidsteer loader over on my property here (Takes 6 things to cause an accident and dumb was one of them in that case).

I hope you guys realiase there are 2 Steves involved. Me (steve C) and the new Steve (Steve T) who is the owner of Bobs Hobbies and some other businesses.

My 23, 38 and 42 were all flown and tested as prototypes ready for production. There are some videos of them flying and the engines in those vids were as close to the final production model as could be made without the expense of the molds being made. The castings in those prototypes were done via investment casting (Lost Wax) and the forgings were done manually. The next step was for molds and dies to be made.

Yep, you are right, $100,000 plus was not a wise investment at that time especially when the aussies themselves refuse to embrace "local" because of our national sport (culture) of "cultural cringing". I had to figure local sales to be close to zero. It was way back then that it was decided the vagaries of freight costs etc were too high in the economy at the time to make that investment. (Besides I needed a new loader - kinda hard to run a horse property without one :D). I also suffered a major blow to my health at that time (it's all stable now - thanks for asking :) there are penty of others out there with more serious issues to deal with on a daily basis). That was when the plan to send all manufacturing rights to Henry for the 23, 38, 42, 56, 112 and the YD-A name for engines. I did basically walk away after that (other than for local support of the engines supplied here). I suspect the "current factory" may well just do their own thing. I have no control over it nor do I want any, I made that very clear to those involved at that time.

IF the factory follows the designs given, there is nothing to be proven, if they apply "artistic licence", I would need to see the product in my hands before I could comment.

One thing is absolutely certain though. Henry, myself and others have been sufficiently burnt previously to make absolutley certain not to bring any sub standard products to the market. This is why you haven't seen the 60cc for sale yet - it is "under improvement". It is why I headed in a different direction on brands - taking already proven and well developed products on at the "high end" of the scale. The main Chinese brand is well covered here and the original importer of that brand to here is a friend of mine whom I have no compunction sending people directly to for purchases and service of that brand.

When Henry and Steve T deem any of the new products "ready for air time" I am sure you will see them. When that is? that is the unknown (to me anyway).

Yep, you are 100% right - it is VERY tough out there right now in RC land. Of course the majority of factories in China don't accept that - they just figure their loyal distributors aren't selling enough so they just sell to more "distributors" with the net result that the total stock holdings amongst all distributors is very high and they reduce prices to clear stock and pay their banks back - that is called a downward spiral. How long is it since an advertisement of any type caught your eye with other than "low price" (or words to that effect)? (Yes, I am just as guilty of that).

My gut feel? things will stabilise in the next year, the new offerings wil be made available for sale and everyone wil be all happy all over again.

skymaster1 12-02-2010 03:52 PM

I have been involved with henry and yda engines since toledo, I have the skyhawks r/c ama airshow team located in minnesota. We fly for around 6 to 800,000 people each year at all kinds of different locations, from small ama club sites to full scale airshows, just to set the background.
I was asked to take on yda engines last year and to date we are flying the 56 and the 112, they are currently flying in both airobats and giant scale warbirds and to date with the exception of some small problems with one of the 112's they are preforming very well. the engines have over 208 hrs airtime on them and are still working good.
I also am a little concerned about the problems that are currently faceing yda, but as a business owner I also know what one faces as we take on new products, but usually given time things seem to work out as long as the products are good to begin with. I believe henry and steve t, are doing the very best they can to see that yda survives. I will keep doing what I can to see that he gets that chance both because he keeps trying and the products at this point seem to be as good as anything out there. regards. Gary

Q500RC 12-02-2010 04:27 PM

Hey Steve thanks for the info! Last I spoke to Henry he was waiting on the cylinders for the 23cc and the 38cc as well. I'm trying to remember but it seems he was saying he
was waiting on JC engines to make the molds for those 2 motors cylinders and get him the parts so he could assembly the prototypes produced by JC Engines? Or maybe he
was saying he was simply waiting on cylinders to be produced and shiped to him for assy. not sure on which it was.

Either way waiting on JC Engines might take a while? Seems to me Henry would be in here letting us know day to day how the testing of the 60cc and rework if any was
needed was coming. This is what we have all been use to when it comes to Henry and your self for that matter. I have talked alot to Henry over the last year as many others
in here have and he's normally quick to let us know whats going on! To me and from what I read others as well not hearing makes things worse not better! I know Henry is busy
but he could take a few minutes and post here 2 or 3 times a week I would think?

I'm not trying to beat up on Henry as I have learned from Henry and appreciate all he's done for many here I'm just not understanding his reasoning in basically just
disappearing as he has! We used to see him here on the forum or on IM almost every day in the past for answers and updates and now he's just gone!! POOF! No one really
knows whats going on with the engines or Henry? Doesn't really inspire confidence in most people! Just droping in and saying were tweaking the 60cc and I'm busy once a
month really doesn't help. Again I consider Henry a friend and have enjoyed learning from him and the work he has done along with you Steve working to give all of us new
and improved motors which has been a great help to all R/Cers! IMO

Many thanks Steve and hopefully it will work that way again soon!

Tseres 12-02-2010 06:00 PM

I have started to comment 3 different times today and decided against it. I to am wondering why the silence. I don't know anything so take my comments for what it's worth.
I met Steve Thomas. This guy is only going to be a plus for the engines and the RC Aero Products. I feel that he knows the business as well as anyone. He definitely isn't a stranger to the RC World. He is the #1 guy behind Xoar props. You may not know who he is but you are using his product already. If Henry was going to partner up with someone ,he couldn't have found a better guy.

I think we are back in the same situation as we were last spring with henry and Steve C. They have to get things ironed out and finalized before they can say anything. If I'm wrong then I'll move on. For now I'll be patient.

plane addicts 12-02-2010 06:34 PM

Henry is still alive and well and that the business is moving forward with him. He has alot of stuff going on right now and he has not had the time to drop in. I know he wishes that he had more time in a day. But that is just not possible.

As for the 60 there are some improvements being made. How do I know I was one of the Beta testers just incase anyone didnt know. Motor ran good but there were a few changes that they would like to see. I gave thie the feed back and they are applying what we learned.

Now for the 23 and 38. last I heard both of these engines were waiting Chroming. After that the production models will be beta tested to make sure everything in the molding process is right. Hopefully with fingers crossed they will have some out to testers soon.

With both Henry and Steve spread so thin. I will be pitching in on the trends telling everyone what is going on. I however only talk to them one or twice a week and some times it is only for a few minutes at a time. But I will try to keep everyone informed on what is happening.

eugene 12-02-2010 06:51 PM

Sensible comment Tom.....Right now it's , wait and see...

Kevin Xoar Prop 12-02-2010 08:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Piston

RC Aero Products has (is) partnering up with Xoar International (aka Bob's Hobby Hangar).

Guys, thanks for your support on Xoar prop. There seems to have some misunderstanding on the ownership part. Xoar Interntional, LLC is not associated with Bob's Hobby Center in term of ownership. However,we work with Bob's Hobby Center very closely to push new product into market place. Steve Thomas, worked very hard dedicate himself and his team in developing the market and some new product. Bob's Hobby is Xoar partner, we will contiune our great relationship to provide the best product and customer service to the market.

sincerley,

Kevin He
President
Xoar Intl

erieqc 12-03-2010 12:15 AM

About 1 gallon of fuel so broke in and 5 flights.

jaless 12-03-2010 06:01 AM

Hi Guys! My name is Joe and I am new to this forum. I started flying gas just last spring and started out with a RGC 26cc from BPhobbies. Nice looking engine but after 20 flights in my H9 1/4 Cub I have had enough dead stick training to last me a lifetime. Could never get the thing to run the same way two flights in a row. One flight would be great and the next flight I would end up doing another dead stick and I didn't change a thing. Even had the long time gassers at the field scratching their heads.

Last night I pressed the button on 2 28cc JC engines. I have read all I could abut ABC, and EFG and IJK etc, etc engines and finally ended up, er followed Steve and Henry to this forum. After reading quite a bit here I decided to take the plunge.

One of the engines will be going into my H9 1/4 cub and the other one will be replacing a Saito 115 in a Seagull 90 size Yak 54. The 115 was capable enough but I just wanted to convert to gas. Gas has been a steep learning curve but so much fun to learn something new after so many years of nitro. Of course gas is so much cheaper also.

Sure seems like the world of gas RC engines is always in some sort of turmoil. I do feel good about my purchase and I am looking forward to some fun flying next spring after so much screwing around with the RGC this summer.

Anyway, Greetings to all! I will post some pics of the building process as soon as I can.

Joe

AJsToyz 12-03-2010 12:44 PM

Hi Joe,

Going quite large on the Yak ?? :D I have a friend that put a 20cc on his and it flew very well. I'm going to go with a 20cc on my Yak also, looking forward to hearing how the 28cc works out on this bird.

Andy

skymaster1 12-03-2010 02:36 PM

hello plane addicts, I see you are listed on henry's website along with myself ( skyhawks airshow team ). I also believe that henry will come out of this ok being connected to steve t. all they need is some time to get things put in order. as I have indicated, the engines we have been useing all have been working very well in the airplanes we fly. and believe me we put them through more in one season of flying then most will do in several years. I also will keep people up to date as I hear it. keep flying, I am now knee deep in blasted snow.

Q500RC 12-03-2010 02:46 PM

Yes yes Skymaster your old buddy Q500rc is suffering as well its cooling off as the evening comes on here its down to a chilling 72F this afternoon! Guess we will both just have to hang on
with this cool down!!!

skymaster1 12-03-2010 02:58 PM

you dog you, q500, must be nice, 72 degrees, we here are now at 12 degress and snowing, at least I can work on planes,

aussiesteve 12-03-2010 03:51 PM

Hi Joe (jaless)
I am on a specific ban by the mods to mention your previous brand anywhere ever again. so feel free to e-mail me (PM's are not allowed either :D) at [email protected] if you need any further info on them. Assuming of course this doesn't get edited either[:'(]

Welcome to the JC 28. Run an 18/8 prop on them and they will thank you for it.
Check the needles are both set at 1 3/4 turns open
Fuel it with a decent mix (depends on what oils are available close by to you. Stihl Ultra if you can get it nearby - run them in on 40:1 with that.

You will have a much nicer expereince with them.
And I don't deal with these ones any longer either

jaless 12-03-2010 05:31 PM

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

Hi Joe,

Going quite large on the Yak ?? :D I have a friend that put a 20cc on his and it flew very well. I'm going to go with a 20cc on my Yak also, looking forward to hearing how the 28cc works out on this bird.

Andy
AJsToyz,

I figured I'd be pushing the outside of the envelope with the 28cc but I've usually gone the other way and found that I wasn't happy with the performance. I can always fly at half throttle. It may be a few weeks before I have the engine installed and being winter I probably won't get a chance to try er out till spring. I will send updates.

Joe

AJsToyz 12-03-2010 05:38 PM

Joe,

I have put most of my stuff up and am starting my winter projects, I know how it goes. Will be watching for updates.

Andy

jaless 12-03-2010 05:43 PM

ORIGINAL: aussiesteve

Hi Joe (jaless)
I am on a specific ban by the mods to mention your previous brand anywhere ever again. so feel free to e-mail me (PM's are not allowed either :D) at [email protected] if you need any further info on them. Assuming of course this doesn't get edited either[:'(]

Welcome to the JC 28. Run an 18/8 prop on them and they will thank you for it.
Check the needles are both set at 1 3/4 turns open
Fuel it with a decent mix (depends on what oils are available close by to you. Stihl Ultra if you can get it nearby - run them in on 40:1 with that.

You will have a much nicer expereince with them.
And I don't deal with these ones any longer either

aussiesteve,

Thanks for the tips and the link. I will keep them in mind. I feel confident that my experience will be much better.

I must say that with the problems I was having with the other engine the learning process for gas we accelerated with all the fidgeting around that I was doing.

I probably rearranged the fuel system at least three times. May have been for nothing but it was a good learning tool. Let's see, what else. Reset the timing a couple of times. Changed the spark plug once. Rebuilt the carb. Replaced 5/32 fuel line with 1/8. Pulled the engine off more times then I can count.

May have all been for nothing but it was fun. I enjoy learning by tinkering.

Thanks again,

Joe

jaless 12-03-2010 05:45 PM

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

Joe,

I have put most of my stuff up and am starting my winter projects, I know how it goes. Will be watching for updates.

Andy
Andy,

Wow! Where the heck is Maybee? I am in the southeast corner O Mich.

Joe

JNorton 12-03-2010 05:52 PM

Google it. I'm near the west shore and I did not know either. :)
John
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maybee,_Michigan