RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/9863953-dle-20cc-gasser-data-links-1st-post.html)

cerralvo78 09-08-2011 06:37 AM

RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

What is the size of the screw that goes on the throttle arm on the DLE 20......[X(]and yes.....it came out during flight....;)thank U kill switch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

raptureboy 09-08-2011 07:38 AM

I drilled mine out for a 4-40 cap screw, per Jody's instructions and then used some locktite.

cerralvo78 09-08-2011 08:06 AM

ORIGINAL: raptureboy

I drilled mine out for a 4-40 cap screw, per Jody's instructions and then used some locktite.
THANKS......
Drill out or tap out???
Do you know the Thread Size that comes originally??? 2-56?? 6-32??? and how long???

THANKS AGAIN

jedijody 09-08-2011 09:40 AM

Just run a 4-40 tap into the hole and use a 4-40 SHCS.... with Loctite this time.

cerralvo78 09-08-2011 10:37 AM

ORIGINAL: jedijody

Just run a 4-40 tap into the hole and use a 4-40 SHCS.... with Loctite this time.
THANKS

crazyflyboy30 09-09-2011 06:20 AM

More airplane I think a DLE-20 would fly good with one the ,Precision Aerobatics BAD BOY ws 53" ,ol 46.73", wing area 805 sq.in,flying weight 4 lb. Two the Great Planes Reactor Bipe Sport 3D Airplane Top and Bottom Wingspan: 48" (1220mm)
          Wing Area: 1145 in² (73.9dm²)
          Weight: 7-7.5 lb (3170-3400 g)
          Wing Loading: 14-15 oz/ft² (43-46 g/dm²)
          Length: 58.5" (1485 mm)
Three the Great Planes U-Can-Do 3D .60  Wingspan:      65" (1651mm)
          Wing Area:   1072 sq in (69 sq dm)
          Weight:         7-7.3lb (3175-3345g)
          Wing Loading:  15-15.9 oz/sq ft (46-48 g/sq dm)
          Length:        69.5" (1765mm)
Four the <span id="prodTitleBrand">Funtana 125 ARF</span> <span sizcache="16" sizset="376" id="brandName">by <font color="#0066cc">Hangar 9</font></span> Wingspan:69.5 in Overall Length:68.5 in Wing Area:1108 sq in Flying Weight:8–8.5 lb
the <span id="prodTitleBrand">Funtana 125 maybe on the heavy side but I have one fly with a   Saito  FG-20  so the DLE-20 has more power.</span>

Bpar4 09-11-2011 04:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Had some problems with my header and muffler on my Arrestti. Had a header and pipe that were made of some sort of cast metal (not aluminum) and it cracked where it was slipped into the header. There was no way to weld or solder repair this. Ended up going with a stainless steel flex type made for the RCGF engines. Had to grind the header to fit the DLE's port. The RCGF's exhaust port is smaller. This is a cobbled up fit but is not bad. Here are some pictures of the installation.</p>

unclecrash 09-11-2011 07:08 PM

Bpar4 wondering what you are using on your carb needles. Is it white shrink wrap. I usually use fuel tubing but the dle 20 seems like the needle heads are almost touching. Thanks Dave

Bpar4 09-12-2011 02:32 AM

UND, Those are pieces of a plastic straw that were carefully pushed on the screw heads. Shrink tubing works just as well just stretch it a bit before carefully slipping it on. Bob

microdon2 09-12-2011 03:11 AM

Bpar4 - What is the function of the straws on your needles? Do they act as a guide for the screw when adjusting the needles from outside the cowl? (great idea!)

Also, the header looks cool.

Bpar4 09-12-2011 03:38 AM

Mic, You're right. It makes the screws easier to locate. Also, it is much safer when attempting adjustments w/o the cowl on. It really helps anchor the screwdriver blade. The header may or may not provide any performance boost, but I needed something to quiet this little noise maker down w/o and performance deterioration. I want to attempt basic pattern and I feel that the 11 lbs. airplane with this engine should give me a decent flight in an economical package. Bob

Joespeeder 09-12-2011 06:10 AM

Hi jedijody,

I'm an electric flyer that has decided to go gas.... So my learning curve is huge and I have been reading all I can including printing the Newbie to Gas General Information thread to guide me.

I see a page back you mentioned using a DLE 55 ignition to give finer resolution in the mid-range of the DLE 20. Can you point me to a post or set up guide you might have for the DLE 20.

Would that be a package I should buy and use right from the start?

Thanks for all your help here on the forums. I've read a lot of your stuff over the last week as I try to come up to speed on gas and your input has been invaluable.

While I'm new to gas I have been reading and searching a lot and found a thread here on RCU that gives some three blade info on the DLE 20 that might be added to the first post with all the data. I found it since I'm currently flying a VQ Hurricane and an interested in converting it to gas.

In this thread RBean said "Test ran on the ground a couple of weeks ago and tuned engine. 15-8 Graupner three blade prop turning about 8,800 rpm. Idle 1,700.". http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._1/key_/tm.htm

Thanks again.

Joe

jedijody 09-12-2011 08:40 AM

Joe,

Yes, for those that have experienced problems returning to idle or landing speeds, or those flying very light, low wing loaded airframes in 3D, I have suggested using the standard Rcexl ignition module (same as DLE55). There is no set up really to worry about, the DLE20 comes from the factory timed at ~35 degrees BTDC, to use the standard Rcexl module, just move the sensor about 1/16" or so in the direction of engine rotation, plug it in, adjust carburetor and go fly. Or, use the instructions and degree wheel that comes with the ignition, set the timing at 28-30 BTDC, adjust carb, go fly.

As for starting out that way, with the different module, that's up to you. The DLE20 comes with it's own ignition module, you can't buy one without it, the other ignition module would be an extra cost. Many/most have had no issue with the way the DLE20 ignition module works, you don't know if you will until you try it so I don't recommend you by an engine and a second ignition system at the same time.

Do some more research to learn exactly what characteristics the DLE20's ignition module imparts on the engine's running quality, it's been well documented here. Or, obtain the engine and learn them first hand for yourself. This is a great thread with lots of useful information if used in the right way.

a1pcfixer 09-12-2011 08:40 AM

ORIGINAL: Joespeeder

While I'm new to gas I have been reading and searching a lot and found a thread here on RCU that gives some three blade info on the DLE 20 that might be added to the first post with all the data. I found it since I'm currently flying a VQ Hurricane and an interested in converting it to gas.

In this thread RBean said ''Test ran on the ground a couple of weeks ago and tuned engine. 15-8 Graupner three blade prop turning about 8,800 rpm. Idle 1,700.''. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._1/key_/tm.htm

Joe
I created that "recap of info" on the DLE20 that's embeded into post #1 here.
I noted few have 3 bladed props and info on them for this DLE20.

What's needed is not only rpm figures, but (static) thrust numbers so they have some comparative values.
What's in my list here is; mfg, size, rpm, and (static) thrust numbers.

Slap a digital fish scale to the tail end and run them up, and report what ya get.
Then such info on 3 bladed props should be added.

raptureboy 09-12-2011 10:14 AM

Joe, Jody is right. I would just get the engine and fly it for a while, it just gets better with more fuel through it and throttle linkage is really key to getting a smooth linear response as T.O.M and others have stated. I have adjusted the trim on my radio so the trim settings are finer in movement and I can get the delay to a point that is managable. So buy it you'll like it:D

Joespeeder 09-12-2011 10:41 AM

Thanks Guys,

I've referenced the info in the first post many times and have even forwarded it to other club members here. Once I am up and running I will post my 3 blade prop findings here also.

I will follow your guys sage advice and check in if I get stuck.

Joe

a1pcfixer 09-12-2011 11:34 AM

Joe,

If your Tx has both "Idle-down" and "Throttle-kill" functions, read this simple no cost fix;
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10674930

Joespeeder 09-12-2011 12:23 PM

Thanks Jim,

Currently on a JR 9303. Some of the simple stuff like Throttle Kill and the like I will have to learn again. I flew nitro 30 years ago.... When I returned to flying I went all electric so I didn't have to fight with glow plugs, starters, and all the rest of the stuff.

The gassers at our field really impressed me. Once set they are simple to operate and I can only drool at their long flight times. I've started selling off un-built ARF's from my basement and planning the change over to gas.

Two ARF's sold and next a fully built VQ Yak-1 I'll sell as a BNF....

I feel like I'm starting all over again. Lots to learn. Next up will be a Great Planes Stuka DLE 20 and my Hurricane converted to a DLE 20. The Hurricane is just a matter of getting everything stuffed in there and that thread I referenced before will help a lot.

The Stuka builds out to about 8.5lbs on a 70inch wing. So the DLE 20 is going to be LOTS of power. I plan to swing a 3 blade and don't really need to worry too much about efficiency as the Stuka isn't about speed. We fly warbirds in groups of about 4-6 in a scale fashion. So mostly 1/2 throttle kind of flying in a pack. One night we had 11 H9 sized warbirds all flying together is a pack. Really cool. But being able to have good control mid throttle makes life much easier. Up till now I never had to worry about throttle curves, mechanical or Tx induced.

I'll start with the ignition all stock and post pics/info as I learn.

Thanks again.

Joe

mschulz531 09-12-2011 02:56 PM

Thanks Jim,

Currently on a JR 9303. Some of the simple stuff like Throttle Kill and the like I will have to learn again. I flew nitro 30 years ago.... When I returned to flying I went all electric so I didn't have to fight with glow plugs, starters, and all the rest of the stuff.

The gassers at our field really impressed me. Once set they are simple to operate and I can only drool at their long flight times. I've started selling off un-built ARF's from my basement and planning the change over to gas.

Two ARF's sold and next a fully built VQ Yak-1 I'll sell as a BNF....

I feel like I'm starting all over again. Lots to learn. Next up will be a Great Planes Stuka DLE 20 and my Hurricane converted to a DLE 20. The Hurricane is just a matter of getting everything stuffed in there and that thread I referenced before will help a lot.

The Stuka builds out to about 8.5lbs on a 70inch wing. So the DLE 20 is going to be LOTS of power. I plan to swing a 3 blade and don't really need to worry too much about efficiency as the Stuka isn't about speed. We fly warbirds in groups of about 4-6 in a scale fashion. So mostly 1/2 throttle kind of flying in a pack. One night we had 11 H9 sized warbirds all flying together is a pack. Really cool. But being able to have good control mid throttle makes life much easier. Up till now I never had to worry about throttle curves, mechanical or Tx induced.

I'll start with the ignition all stock and post pics/info as I learn.

Thanks again.

Joe

Joe,
Welcome back! I also had a long hiatus from R/C and started again 3 years ago...had to learn all the new technology...alot different from 1988! I'm sure you'll enjoy your gasser as much as we do. You found a great thread with some very helpful people for "gasser newbies" like me. Can't wait to hear about your installations...we like videos and pictures!
-Mike
<br type="_moz" />

mesaflyer 09-12-2011 05:58 PM

Hi jedijody,

I'm an electric flyer that has decided to go gas.... So my learning curve is huge and I have been reading all I can including printing the Newbie to Gas General Information thread to guide me.

I see a page back you mentioned using a DLE 55 ignition to give finer resolution in the mid-range of the DLE 20. Can you point me to a post or set up guide you might have for the DLE 20.

Would that be a package I should buy and use right from the start?

Thanks for all your help here on the forums. I've read a lot of your stuff over the last week as I try to come up to speed on gas and your input has been invaluable.

In this thread RBean said ''Test ran on the ground a couple of weeks ago and tuned engine. 15-8 Graupner three blade prop turning about 8,800 rpm. Idle 1,700.''. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._1/key_/tm.htm

Thanks again.

Joe

You say you have a huge learning curve, at least you learned who (Jody) to ask your questions to.

As I'm sure you read, my engine started out with the original ignition. Jody then sent me the ignition for the 55. The 55 ignition does make a difference for inexperienced gas engine guys like me. But if I had to do it all over again, I would do the same thing. Start out with the original ignition and learn how to make it operate the right way like most people have.

One thing switching ignitions did for me was made me learn to fly my Extra to the ground. It used to have that high idle for several seconds which worked out great for landings. But all I was doing was flying to the condition that my engine was running, instead of making adjustments to my engine/set-up so that I could lower the idle sooner.

After switching ignitions I was not used to not having the high idle and I proceeded to stall my plane on a couple landings and break a couple wooden props. The silver lining here is that I ran out of XOAR 17x6 props, so over the weekend I switched to XOAR 16x8 prop that I bought by mistake. Turns out this prop is a lot better for my plane and flying style. Moral of the story is that you being new to gas, you might want to experiment with a few different props on different planes with this engine. I now know that I should have.

Keep asking questions here. These guys are a great source of info and help.

tevans55 09-14-2011 06:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a prop question as well. I just started break in on my ESM B-25 with 2 Vess 17-6 props and I am anticipating my maiden using these props. My plane is 33.5 lbs. The engines have been through 3 tanks on the ground and appear to be running perfectly. They idle reliably at 1,750 and top out at 8,200 rpm. I have used Jody's method for break in and it has worked very well. I would ultimately like to switch to a 3 bladed prop and was wondering if anyone has any experience with a Biela 16-8 or 16-10? Or is there another 3 blade they are using on a plane of similar weight?

a1pcfixer 09-15-2011 01:15 AM

ORIGINAL: tevans55

....................... My plane is 33.5 lbs......................
Wow!

With the specs on that model suggesting 22.1 lbs,
I'm curious as to what makes yours 11.4 lbs heavier?

TimBle 09-15-2011 02:51 AM

RE the idle down characterisitics of the DLE 20; I've learned to lfy it the way it is. ITs actually quite useful the timing advance the way it is out of the box.
On final approach I cut the throttle to full idle  about 20m away from the edge of the runway. By the time the plane is in final flair the ignition cuts the idle to 1500rpm and she floats in nicely.
A short blip up to 2200rpm does not deay the idle back to 1500rpm at all. So I can trim the final flair and glide path with short blips on the throttle.

a1pcfixer 09-15-2011 04:51 AM

ORIGINAL: TimBle

RE the idle down characterisitics of the DLE 20; I've learned to lfy it the way it is.................
That's pretty much the prevailing attitude of the vast majority of DLE20 owners.
Very soon this DLE20 will celebrate having been out for it's first full year. Only in
the very recent months have some expressed issue with the uniqueness of the
DLE20 ign advance curve/idle.

Tuned correctly, idle set to 1700 rpm, proper throttle linkage, and there is NO idle issue.

It comes down to 3 approaches;
1.) Setup correctly it's NOT an issue, so live with it.
2.) If needed, use your Tx's "Idle-down" feature.
3.) Spend extra money ($$$) and swap out a perfectly good ign for a different one.

We can always hope DLE will some day dump the odd advance curve the DLE20 ign has,
and go with their std ones instead........someday?[:o]

ghoffman 09-15-2011 05:08 AM

I have zero issues with anything on my DLE-20/Velox. I had not flown it in a few weeks, brought it out Tuesday and it started up easily, idles great, very good power. I flew it again 3x yesterday and it would re-start with one flip each time. I think this was one of the first out, and I have flown the crap out of this one and the other one I used to have on a Ultra Stick. Perhaps since these were very early ones, maybe they were shipped with normal ignitions. BTW, I use Stihl HP Ultra and 94 octane gas with no ethanol. I had to check, but I got mine on 9/23/2010 so it has been almost a year.