RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/9863953-dle-20cc-gasser-data-links-1st-post.html)

RBean 11-26-2011 05:02 PM

RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

kiwibob72,

I've been running a DLE 20 with a 16-8 two blade Master Airscrew K series I think, not the classic. Now that the engine is broken in it turning almost 8,800 rpm on the ground. However, runs good, More than enough power in a TF 60 size Mustang. Thinking of going to a longer blade or more pitch to lower the rpm a little. Maybe a 16-8 three blade. I have one on another plane with DLE 20, the three blade tachs at 8,400 rpm. Yeah, I know its not scale, but either is the 2 blade.

jsallade 11-26-2011 05:20 PM

APC makes a 14 x 12 that should load it up enough to keep you out of trouble... How it will perform? You'll have to tell us!

acdii 11-26-2011 05:58 PM

Cool, I'll add it to my list, thanks.

kiwibob72 11-26-2011 07:53 PM

ORIGINAL: RBean

kiwibob72,

I've been running a DLE 20 with a 16-8 two blade Master Airscrew K series I think, not the classic. Now that the engine is broken in it turning almost 8,800 rpm on the ground. However, runs good, More than enough power in a TF 60 size Mustang. Thinking of going to a longer blade or more pitch to lower the rpm a little. Maybe a 16-8 three blade. I have one on another plane with DLE 20, the three blade tachs at 8,400 rpm. Yeah, I know its not scale, but either is the 2 blade.
The revs do sound a little high, wonder how a 16-10 would go on the basis of your findings? (not all that keen on testing the over-rev strength limits of the motor)

As for the DLE20 having "enough power in a TF60 Size mustang" .... there is a link on one of the forums in here where a guy with a World Model 60 stang has it GPS'd at 113mph, and while my H9 one will be a little fatter re the AUW (it's a heavier bird than normal 65" P51's), even if I can get to 90% of that guys top speed, it'll be more than fast enough I think.

acdii 11-26-2011 08:27 PM

Well if that is any indication, I better build my bird strong, I plan to make it light, so if it can go that fast it better hold together! :)

raydar 11-27-2011 02:29 AM

the 15 8 3 graupner is a very efficient blade, this is what I used to load my engine with ground clearance issues, can spin a xoar 17 6 at 8600rpm but only get 7800 with the 15 8 3graupner!. Only problem is a spacerwas required to fill the huge predrilled prop hole.

captinjohn 11-27-2011 06:45 AM

No problem....turn a piece of aluminum to the correctDIA so the prop will slide on....then bore the same piece to theDIA to slip on prop shaft. Use cut off tool. DONE! Capt,n

tail heavy 11-27-2011 07:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I fly my H9 P-47 60 size with a MAS 15x8x3. Great performance. It turns around 7600.

SpinnerRow 11-27-2011 08:22 AM

ORIGINAL: kiwibob72
As for the DLE20 having ''enough power in a TF60 Size mustang'' .... there is a link on one of the forums in here where a guy with a World Model 60 stang has it GPS'd at 113mph, and while my H9 one will be a little fatter re the AUW (it's a heavier bird than normal 65'' P51's), even if I can get to 90% of that guys top speed, it'll be more than fast enough I think.
"That guy with the P-51" is me. Careful on the RPMs guys. Mine had an APC 15x10 on it and turning 8900 on the ground. After a season of punishment, it broke the crank pin and destroyed the motor a few weeks ago. Thankfully Tower covered it under their extended warranty (since the motor was a year old). The P-51 is a pretty slippery airframe so it was probably unloading 800-1000rpm or more in the air. Fun combo for sure. I plan to prop it for 8400 or so on the ground if I can find the right prop. I have a 15x11, 14x13 and a 14x14 to try if the wind around here will ever cooperate.

RC MANIAC119 11-27-2011 09:11 AM

Hey Captin John.you got any DLE 20's laying around?

Lyle

kiwibob72 11-27-2011 10:48 AM

ORIGINAL: SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: kiwibob72
As for the DLE20 having ''enough power in a TF60 Size mustang'' .... there is a link on one of the forums in here where a guy with a World Model 60 stang has it GPS'd at 113mph, and while my H9 one will be a little fatter re the AUW (it's a heavier bird than normal 65'' P51's), even if I can get to 90% of that guys top speed, it'll be more than fast enough I think.
''That guy with the P-51'' is me. Careful on the RPMs guys. Mine had an APC 15x10 on it and turning 8900 on the ground. After a season of punishment, it broke the crank pin and destroyed the motor a few weeks ago. Thankfully Tower covered it under their extended warranty (since the motor was a year old). The P-51 is a pretty slippery airframe so it was probably unloading 800-1000rpm or more in the air. Fun combo for sure. I plan to prop it for 8400 or so on the ground if I can find the right prop. I have a 15x11, 14x13 and a 14x14 to try if the wind around here will ever cooperate.
I'm getting the feeling that there might be a little trial and error in my future to get the right loading. That said, I was going to start with the 16*8 as a benchmark being as that was the same prop H9 list with my P51 for the FG20 gasser they list as a 'standard' option, though while not 100% sure, I think we get a little more 'omph' out of the DLE20 (please confirm either way if you know for sure).
As for listing you as the "guy with the P51" SpinnerRow .... I thought so, but was not 100% sure, so just went with the safe option. PS - do you still have that link for those videoed runs you did, I thought I added them to my fav on Youtube, but apparently I didn't.

Steve 11-28-2011 03:35 PM

I'm running a DLE 20 in my Aero Works ProX 260 and can't seem to get the low end right. It runs very rich around 1/3 throtle. If I try and lean it to clean it up, it starts hesitating on transition. Could this be one of the ignition/timing issues? Or more carb? I've cleaned the carb and adjusted the high and low trying to get this worked out and have had no luck. I'm running a Bosch plug and premium gas on 30-1 mix. 16 X 8 prop. The fuel tank is mounted under the wing, so I do get a little richening when inverted and leaning while upright. Top end runs very well. Transition is the issue. It also idels great. Thanks.

a1pcfixer 11-28-2011 04:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Steve

I'm running a DLE 20 in my Aero Works ProX 260 and can't seem to get the low end right. It runs very rich around 1/3 throtle. If I try and lean it to clean it up, it starts hesitating on transition. Could this be one of the ignition/timing issues? Or more carb? I've cleaned the carb and adjusted the high and low trying to get this worked out and have had no luck. I'm running a Bosch plug and premium gas on 30-1 mix. 16 X 8 prop. The fuel tank is mounted under the wing, so I do get a little richening when inverted and leaning while upright. Top end runs very well. Transition is the issue. It also idels great. Thanks.
You may have the HS set too rich. You need to have the engine fully warmed up before beginning any tuning of the LS/HS needles, which is possibly how you got to this point, it might have been tuned while cold.

Warm it up for 4-5 minutes, then tune as follows in these directions....

Jody's gas engine tuning tips (pdf files);
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10293852

Great model btw, I love mine![8D]

Steve 11-28-2011 04:51 PM

Thanks. I'll give it a shot. I've been trying to tune it in 40* weather.

acdii 11-28-2011 05:44 PM

That is most likely the problem. Engines dont run right when it gets cold out, especially 2 strokes. We had a Toro snow thrower with a 2 cycle that you couldnt run above 45* because it had a cold weather carb. Idon't remember exactly what it is, either too rich, or too lean, cold air is denser, and the mixture has to be just right to run through all ranges, and that is done by the jet sizes, although these little engine carbs dont have jets perse, but have orifices, and they may be either too small or too large. Ihaven't played with one for something like 20 years.

In any case if you do get it tuned to run right, when the weather warms up, you will be tuning it all over again.

ahicks 11-28-2011 05:46 PM

I would try an NGK CM-6 set at .024 and see if that doesn't help. The cold weather, when you do get the carb set right (much richer than 70 degree weather) will make noticeably more power. If YOU can stand the cold, that engine will have no trouble!

Estang 11-29-2011 06:48 PM

I have to agree, the colder the weather the more fuel you need to keep the engine from running lean.

acdii 11-30-2011 07:35 AM

ORIGINAL: Estang

I have to agree, the colder the weather the more fuel you need to keep the engine from running lean.

Thats what it was, it's been so long that Iforgot more than most people know. The Cold weather carbs have larger orifices for mre fuel flow. When I tried to run the motor in warm weather it kept fouling the plug and Icouldnt lean it out so it had a full throttle range. It was either high or low, no in between.

You can get these motors to run in cold weather, but when the weather warms up, you will be doing it all over again.

My friend's brother, also my friend, but a distinction that he is not the friend I refer to, but a different friend, has a finicky OS 46 in a trainer, when the weather is warm, in the upper 70's and up, it runs like a beast, but when it gets in the low 70's and below, he has to constantly tweak the needles, and the last flight was not good, the motor kept stalling out, and his last dead stick resulted in a smackdown with a trailer jack. Idoubt that motor will even run when it gets down in the 40's like it is now.

ghoffman 11-30-2011 07:45 AM

Well, here in NH we do fly all year and I find that when it is really cold, like sub freezing, I put a thin sock around the cylinder to get it up to temp.  Otherwise, it runs too cold.  <div>http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...s/dfce101e.jpg</div><div>http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h2..._2306985_n.jpg</div>

acdii 11-30-2011 07:51 AM

Cool, er, no COLD.  Does the runway get shoveled or packed down?  I was considering some skis for my T-34 the other day, but electrics and cold don't mix well, very short battery life.

a1pcfixer 11-30-2011 07:53 AM

ORIGINAL: acdii

My friend's brother, also my friend, but a distinction that he is not the friend I refer to, but a different friend.........................

Wow, I think I know him!;)
Does he live across the street from whatshisname, next door to whatshisface?:)

acdii 11-30-2011 08:00 AM

ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer

My friend's brother, also my friend, but a distinction that he is not the friend I refer to, but a different friend.........................

Wow, I think I know him!;)
Does he live across the street from whatshisname, next door to whatshisface?:)
Yes, in that town down the road past the tall oak tree, and around the bend, two barns down!

ghoffman 11-30-2011 08:01 AM

Yes, kinda sort of.  We invite guys with snow machines to play on the field and then it gets packed enough to land.  The yellow Ultra Stick in the second pic has a DLE-20 and uses maidenusammp.com aluminum skis.  They work better than any other I have found.

acdii 11-30-2011 08:04 AM

Wish the DLE20 fit my T-34, well it could, but weighs almost as much as the plane itself.   I still haven't decided what engine to put on the T-34 to covert it from electric. I know I want 4 stroke.

BTW where can I get the plug for the DLE20? I didn't see it listed on Tower where I got it.  Napa parts guy just gave me a weird look.

oldtyme 11-30-2011 09:17 AM

Wish the DLE20 fit my T-34, well it could, but weighs almost as much as the plane itself. I still haven't decided what engine to put on the T-34 to covert it from electric. I know I want 4 stroke.

BTW where can I get the plug for the DLE20? I didn't see it listed on Tower where I got it. Napa parts guy just gave me a weird look.

This is where I got mine: http://www.quickieparts.com/spark-pl...w-engines.html