RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   3W 80 - Need help (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/9985924-3w-80-need-help.html)

DocYates 09-07-2010 10:16 AM

3W 80 - Need help

I have a 3w 80, rear carb, EI engine, which is my first 3W engine. There is apparently a safety mechanism built into the EI which requires the engine to be turned thru twice before the EI arms. After I do this and try to flip the engine, I notice as the magnet rotates past the hall sensor, the light goes out. The engine will not hit at all. It has excellent compression, and I am using a 6 volt 2000 NiMH battery for the EI. What am I doing wrong???

ww2birds 09-07-2010 10:16 PM

RE: 3W 80 - Need help

My 3W 80 has poor fuel suction, even with the choke fully closed. Takes 30-40 flips on the first start of the day. I also thought I had a bad ignition at first. Some have told me it is due to the little "crescent" of missing metal in the choke plate, and if it's soldered or JB-welded shut it draws fuel much better. No issue with running, just the first start of the day.

Maybe easier with a starter, I do have a miller gear reduction unit and the large cone, but the motor is in a Yellow P-40 and the red spinner is just too pretty to scuff up.

Odd... nice motor other than that.

Dave

JohnMcGowan 09-07-2010 10:47 PM

Hi Tommy!! I hope you are doing well. Now keep in mind I am NO expert, but if it was me, I would change out the ign battery
to a 4.8 , 4 cell so that the 6 volts wouldnt heat up the ignition box with a fully charged battery, or either use a voltage regulator to drop some voltage on it , unless the 3W folks says its ok (?) . Lots of 5 cell 6 volt batteries will read 7+ volts on a full charge, which may burn out your ign box in short order . Ive seen two different ignition units fry because of using a 5 cell pack on them. [sm=cry_smile.gif]
As far as what you are doing wrong, someone else with some 3W knowledge will have to chime in . Sorry.
John

flyinrazrback 09-08-2010 09:16 AM

Have you read the instructions for the ignition? Here is an excerpt. Are you sure the engine is drawing fuel? My 80 was a PITA to get primed. I think my choke butterfly had a hole in it and soldered it shut to help draw fuel when I was choking it. If the ignition in on for a short while without flipping the prop, it will need to be turned off then back on to reset the system as well. Sounds like the ignition is working fine, just no fuel to the carb. You may have to shoot some fuel in the carb to get it going, and probably blow in through the fill or vent line to get fuel to the carb.

Cable information
Sensor cable multi coloured (4 wires) to sensor
Red / black long with socket to battery
Red / black short with plug connection for red LED, long contact -
Yellow / white with plug connection for 3W tachometer and other options

Info about red LED
a) Ignition battery switched on: LED on
b) Propeller 2 turns (flip): LED off - ignition in standby
c) Propeller not being turned (flipped), after a few seconds: LED on, ignition in standby
This safety function has two reasons:
- The engine cannot be started by coincidence if somebody forgot to switch off the ignition
- Battery will be protected against incidental discharge
d) In case the LED will not get off when propeller is turned (flipped): hall sensor is not connected or other defect