Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RC Pylon - An outsider's view PLEASE READ

Let me give you a firsthand viewpoint of what my entrance into RC pylon has been like so far. It’s a little lengthy but please bear with me. It’s a true outsider’s perspective. I’m relatively new to AMA racing at this point and I’m going to be jumping into Q40 in 2011. Here's a little background to at least tell you what’s driving my desire to race.

I’m Robert Vess from Raleigh, NC. I've been an RC modeler for many years and am very active in most other aspects of the hobby. But I've always been interested in pylon racing and wanted to get involved some day. Man, I can remember those beautiful Formula 1 planes and knew I would race at that level eventually. I worked at a hobby shop in high school in the seventies and former F1 and QM NATS champ Dave Pearce was a salesman that called on us. He was my "RC hero" that certainly planted the racing bug in me. My father and I even went to the Tangerine event in Florida to watch him race (I think he won, too!). But I couldn't do it myself at that time because I was soon headed to college.

Jim Katz made the next big impression on me. I think I met him at a “regular” RC event in the early 80’s or so, where he did a pylon demo. I enjoyed his flying/building skills and especially his sense of humor. He was always innovating with everything he did and, as a budding aero engineer at the time, I was drawn to this. I went on to design some airfoils for one or two of his amazing race planes but other distractions still kept me from racing myself. Life went on…

A few years ago, I had an opportunity to do some giant scale air racing on the USRA circuit and had great fun and even success racing in the F1-GT class. During that time, I hooked back up with Jim Katz (who had now been away from pylon for a while) to talk racing because my fire was, once again, burning bright and Jim was inspirational and supportive. At that time, he introduced me to his buddy and former racer, Mike Langlois. We spent some time at Mike's shop talking about speed and even started work on an F-1 alcohol engine build so that I could race in that class of USRA. After some attrition on my race team and a slight "down-turn" in the direction of USRA, my focus shifted to other aspects of the hobby again. But I had made some great friends and my desire to race was still strong.

As I continued in my other RC pursuits, Mike and Jim were working hard for a few years to bring first class RC pylon back to North Carolina. They constructed the race course dubbed “Old Julian Airport”, trained workers, and began holding races. I finally managed to get over there to see their Fall 2009 race and was hooked again. A couple of friends and I then participated in their 2010 Summer Shootout race (where I won Club40) and the Fall race where we flew against the best in 424 (I finished 8th). Everyone was so helpful and I learned a bunch. I also met more friends with like interests and enthusiasm. This was what I was looking for and the time was now right for me. But I wanted to go faster!

Local folks like Mike, Jim, John McDermott, and others (like Darroll Cady) quickly became a core discussion group with whom I could talk racing and get ideas of where my direction needed to go. I wanted to race Q40 and they encouraged just that! And they kept no secrets. They have all opened up their vaults to help in any and every way. You need a mentor to start racing and I now had several good ones. They never pressured me with strong opinions about equipment or politics but simply exposed the available choices. And they always exuded positive attitudes, enthusiasm for racing, and the desire to get people like me involved. They’re great gentlemen to be around, too. And they’re fun!

I had a Nelson SS Quickee engine that I bought years ago but never raced and I asked them if it was still competitive and if it could be converted to a Q40 engine. They said that I could have it converted to a Q40 engine and that I could start with that engine and be fast. But I wasn’t satisfied with that answer and said “what are the fastest guys using?" They said that most people are either using the Nelson or Jett long strokes in Q40. So my next question was “can I convert my Nelson to a long stroke” and the reply was “yes, Henry Nelson will take your SS case and make a LS out of it for around $400". I jumped at that and soon had my crankcase in the mail to Henry. And I went onto Ebay, chose another suitable short stroke engine, and purchased it at a good price to have converted as a backup.

The guys kept introducing me to new and interesting racing personalities and one was John Vaclav, who I had casually met at the last Julian race. I liked his meticulous attention to the assembly and care of the engines. And when he offered his services to assemble my conversion motor for me, I jumped at the chance and had Henry send him all the parts. As with the others, there were no barriers when talking with John. He was happy that a new guy was coming into racing and took pleasure in making sure I had the same equipment as he or anyone else. The motor showed up this week and it looks great! I can’t wait to race it.

Everything that I have told you about has been absolutely positive and has made me feel very welcome as a newcomer into the top level of AMA racing. I quickly joined the NMPRA, too. And I’ve been reading everything I can find about the Q40 class and pylon, in general. This is where things have begun to change. Most magazine articles have been enlightening, interesting, and have represented the sport in a productive way. But I must say, virtually everything I have read recently on the forums (including the NMPRA one) has been discouraging to say the least. For example, when I look at a thread to see the results and hear the news from the recent Tangerine event (which I wanted to attend), there are two posts about the event and 200 of arguing! This has been true of many other threads. It’s been tough to observe. The very sport that I was finally able to participate in seems to be coming apart at the seams from my perspective!

While the 426/428 debate didn’t affect me personally, one such topic did. The debate over the legality of the very Nelson SS/LS engine that I had just purchased has me very bummed. First, it’s not legal due to some paperwork. Then, the “loose ends” that supposedly made it not legal are tied up and it’s officially legal. But then some are offended by this sudden legality and don’t like the manner in which it occurred. So there is still another motion to make it illegal through some sort of emergency vote. Why? My impression as an outsider is that there must be some underlying issue at the foundation of this. And I don’t want to be a part of the feud. I just want to race and have fun!

So here’s the bottom line. I AM a new racer who is yearning to round the poles with you in the sport you also love. I have at least one other friend who is following the same path at this time. And more are on the fence wanting in, too. We have had received unbelievable support and encouragement from local racers around me that do nothing but increase our desire to race and ensure our success. I have easily purchased and subsequently acquired my own choice of airframe and engine (in a very timely manner) from amidst several options. And I am confident that this equipment will afford me the same possibility of success that anyone else has. This is all a real life, positive entrance into RC pylon that I and anyone else with the desire to do the same sincerely appreciate.
    The ONE problem is that much of the press that is circulating about RC Pylon does not reflect these facts or this positive image. It’s discouraging, for sure. Where are the ambassadors? People like me ARE watching.

I want to race and have fun. At least I know that’s what will be happening at Old Julian Airport. The guys there feel the lust for racing that I feel. I’m pretty sure the rest of you do, too.

Vess Propellers
    Team Horizon Hobby

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: RC Pylon - An outsider's view PLEASE READ

That is some postive things to say about the sport of pylon racing. I want to say some quick things.

One, there have been many heated debates on the nmpra site and it will happen again, I don't really think it changes the racing or the guys attitudes at the races. The big issue of the entire post is about the legality of the SS to LS, but the objective is not to get rid of the Nelson motors, LS or Converted SS to LS motors, but to change the rules so they meet the current situation. I highly doubt any of the Nelsons will not be allowed to race anytime soon. I would not worry about all the heated debates, in the end, the rule will get fixed and people will continue to keep racing with LS Nelsons and converted LS motors.

The way the LS motor was introduced, a week before one of the best races in the country, put a lot of people off, it was a new motor that you had to have to be comptetive, it was not another maybe a hair faster, it was a good bit faster, so that really bothered some people. They want to try and keep that from happening again. A lot of racers were lost to the way the new LS motor was introduced and they want to keep that from happening again.

So, in the end, you will be just fine, do not fret over the little stuff, you will still be allowed to race your new motor for years to come,

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Very interesting, well written post Robert. I too am an outsider looking in and can say that I was seriously planning on attending the Pylon Nats this year.....that won't be the case now. My history with Pylon is a bit different. I was very involved in Pylon into the early 90's when I found myself with a well sorted quiver of Formula 1 airplanes (even after selling several off over the years, I still have 4 airframes sitting in my rafters, 2 of them never flown). Almost overnight, all of my gear became obsolete and with a fairly large, now useless investment I vowed never to race again. I remember the empty feeling when the racing community decided the less expensive, potentially faster Q40 class would be replacing Pylon's premier event. I quit racing and never looked back.

Fast forward to the fall of 2009. I still had a half dozen, somewhat obsolete Q500 airframes in my basement. A couple of my buddies and I decided to put some fresh batteries in them and purchased a few $65 Thunder Tiger Pro 40's to go out and have some fun the last race of the season. Guess what.....I got bitten by the bug. I attended every race last year in New England and promised myself that I would keep doing it as long as it was fun.....and 99% of the time this past season it WAS fun. Back racing with most of my old buddies and some new ones too. We are limited for space at most of our flying facilities so long course is all but impossible. With the advent of 426, Nepro's future is looking positive as there will be a way to have a 'high performance' class here in the Norht East. With a couple of races left last year.....some of the local guys started working on me to go to the 2011 NAts with them. My first response was "no thanks"....but as time went on, I began to bend. I was actually thinking that it would be fun. Within the last month, I even started asking around about the Sweet V and was considering ordering one or two to see how they went. That was until I started reading what was going on with the motor situation here and on the NMPRA forums. Reading between the lines, my impression is that if you do not have a converted Nelson motor that you will be at a speed disadvantage.
    I'll be damned if I am going to buy a $200 used short stroke on Ebay and pay another $400 plus to get it converted just to be competitive.....especially realizing that it may be as obsolete as my drawer full of F1 motors/parts I found mysel with in the 90's.

For me, reading the posts over the last month or so has really poisoned me again about racing as a whole. Pylon looks like it is a dying breed. I consider myself lucky.....at least in my case, all of this BS happened before I jumped back in head first. The guys poisoning this hobby should really be thinking about what they say before publishing it public forums for us 'outsiders' to see. Good luck keeping pylon alive guys. I guess history can repeat itself

Craig

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The one engine / one prop rule in 424 looks pretty good about now, I think. I plan on flying 424 at the local races, and having a lot of fun this summer.
    No matter where you go, there you are!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Robert,

Great post, unfortunley I took part in alot of the post against my better judgement. I guess like you I really love the sport and want to see it around for years to come. In my 25+ years of racing I have seen numbers go up and go down and the reason they go down is because of the situation we are in right now. I think racing is in trouble at least in Q40 because of the engine situation. I think and some may not agree at this point but 426 will really help the numbers for Q500.

Either way I agree we all need to be more GENTELMAN like and talk like adults. I too let me fingers "sometimes" type too fast and should have sat back like I have done for many years in the past. But I also feel that facts should be brought to the table not rumors..

We are all glad to have someone such as yourself join us in pylon racing and I think you will see once everyone is out from behind their keyboards and out at the field racing we all get along pretty well and have a good time.

Looking foward to racing with you

Gary Freeman Jr.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well said Robert. Jimmy and Mike have done a great deal to help and encourage me the last few years as well. We had a good time pitting next to you at the last OJA race and look forward to watching you run Q40 this year.

Now you Raleigh guys need to hold some Q25 races to get the cheap skates interested.
    A guy who used to live on this site and now is rarely here due to the "upgrade".
    Most likely fading away till the My Forums is fixed. Too bad.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great post Robert! Like Jr. said, we let our fingers go crazy sometimes with debating, but we all want the same thing...a better sport. Craig, there isn't a speed advantage in the SS/LS conversion engine. They're equal to the rest, the only real issue some have had with them is the wording of the rules that makes some question its legality. I've got a couple SS cases that are probably just fine for a conversion, but will continue to run my standard LS's.
    GS

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello,
    i guess I can say my situation is similar to others who left when the LS hit the sceen. I had just broken down and bought two new SS and Q500 motors in Jan from Shadel only to find out by April they were all obsolete. With the 426 coming around I had thoughts about getting back in and MAYBE convert two of the short stokes by Henry so I could fly 422 as well. With reading everything that has been written, I guess nothing has changed. Decisions made by a few, are going to control what happens to all of us.

I just ask one question, if the converted engines are made illegal, do you really think all the guys who bought them are going to say, OK that is fine, and just buy Jetts? I really doubt it. Dropping 428 already made everyone who wants to race 426 spend $500 and eat the LS Jetts and LS Nelson Q500 engines. Something like what the Canadians did makes a whole lot more sence by changing mufflers but I guess it is too late for that. I know Ed Smith and Randy Smith live north of the border, but I sure wish those two were more involved in our rules making procedures. They seem to look at the big pictures better than most.

Waitng to see what happens before I make any more investments

David

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

good subject......sometimes we cannot see the wood for the trees, and the spectatotrs can tell us the errors, THnz

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The contest board is discussing the conversions and the current rules now and should have it resolved in the next week or two.

If you have an opinion, contact your districts contest board representative and let him know.

I've only heard from two people in my district....
    Dave Norman
    29w

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Robert and cbk07,
    Don't be swayed by all this banter on the forums. I just returned from Winterfest this past weekend and had a great time!!! There was very little talk about rules that i could see during the race. Everyone was having a great time!!!! I met a couple of guys from back east whom i hadn't met before and really enjoyed the camaraderie. Racing is still a great pastime and will be for a long time to come!!! They will get the rules sorted out , hopefully allowing everyone to run the engines they have. Now i am in favor of tightening the mods that the manufacturers can do to eliminate the debacle the Nelson LS caused.I think everybody would have had just as much fun racing the SS engines the last four years. I think in the end the board will make the right decisions for all. So don't get discouraged . Go to the races and have a great time and good luck to you both!!!

ORIGINAL: RobertV

Let me give you a firsthand viewpoint of what my entrance into RC pylon has been like so far. It’s a little lengthy but please bear with me. It’s a true outsider’s perspective. I’m relatively new to AMA racing at this point and I’m going to be jumping into Q40 in 2011. Here's a little background to at least tell you what’s driving my desire to race.

I’m Robert Vess from Raleigh, NC. I've been an RC modeler for many years and am very active in most other aspects of the hobby. But I've always been interested in pylon racing and wanted to get involved some day. Man, I can remember those beautiful Formula 1 planes and knew I would race at that level eventually. I worked at a hobby shop in high school in the seventies and former F1 and QM NATS champ Dave Pearce was a salesman that called on us. He was my ''RC hero'' that certainly planted the racing bug in me. My father and I even went to the Tangerine event in Florida to watch him race (I think he won, too!). But I couldn't do it myself at that time because I was soon headed to college.

Jim Katz made the next big impression on me. I think I met him at a “regular” RC event in the early 80’s or so, where he did a pylon demo. I enjoyed his flying/building skills and especially his sense of humor. He was always innovating with everything he did and, as a budding aero engineer at the time, I was drawn to this. I went on to design some airfoils for one or two of his amazing race planes but other distractions still kept me from racing myself. Life went on…

A few years ago, I had an opportunity to do some giant scale air racing on the USRA circuit and had great fun and even success racing in the F1-GT class. During that time, I hooked back up with Jim Katz (who had now been away from pylon for a while) to talk racing because my fire was, once again, burning bright and Jim was inspirational and supportive. At that time, he introduced me to his buddy and former racer, Mike Langlois. We spent some time at Mike's shop talking about speed and even started work on an F-1 alcohol engine build so that I could race in that class of USRA. After some attrition on my race team and a slight ''down-turn'' in the direction of USRA, my focus shifted to other aspects of the hobby again. But I had made some great friends and my desire to race was still strong.

As I continued in my other RC pursuits, Mike and Jim were working hard for a few years to bring first class RC pylon back to North Carolina. They constructed the race course dubbed “Old Julian Airport”, trained workers, and began holding races. I finally managed to get over there to see their Fall 2009 race and was hooked again. A couple of friends and I then participated in their 2010 Summer Shootout race (where I won Club40) and the Fall race where we flew against the best in 424 (I finished 8th). Everyone was so helpful and I learned a bunch. I also met more friends with like interests and enthusiasm. This was what I was looking for and the time was now right for me. But I wanted to go faster!

Local folks like Mike, Jim, John McDermott, and others (like Darroll Cady) quickly became a core discussion group with whom I could talk racing and get ideas of where my direction needed to go. I wanted to race Q40 and they encouraged just that! And they kept no secrets. They have all opened up their vaults to help in any and every way. You need a mentor to start racing and I now had several good ones. They never pressured me with strong opinions about equipment or politics but simply exposed the available choices. And they always exuded positive attitudes, enthusiasm for racing, and the desire to get people like me involved. They’re great gentlemen to be around, too. And they’re fun!

I had a Nelson SS Quickee engine that I bought years ago but never raced and I asked them if it was still competitive and if it could be converted to a Q40 engine. They said that I could have it converted to a Q40 engine and that I could start with that engine and be fast. But I wasn’t satisfied with that answer and said “what are the fastest guys using?'' They said that most people are either using the Nelson or Jett long strokes in Q40. So my next question was “can I convert my Nelson to a long stroke” and the reply was “yes, Henry Nelson will take your SS case and make a LS out of it for around $400''. I jumped at that and soon had my crankcase in the mail to Henry. And I went onto Ebay, chose another suitable short stroke engine, and purchased it at a good price to have converted as a backup.

The guys kept introducing me to new and interesting racing personalities and one was John Vaclav, who I had casually met at the last Julian race. I liked his meticulous attention to the assembly and care of the engines. And when he offered his services to assemble my conversion motor for me, I jumped at the chance and had Henry send him all the parts. As with the others, there were no barriers when talking with John. He was happy that a new guy was coming into racing and took pleasure in making sure I had the same equipment as he or anyone else. The motor showed up this week and it looks great! I can’t wait to race it.

Everything that I have told you about has been absolutely positive and has made me feel very welcome as a newcomer into the top level of AMA racing. I quickly joined the NMPRA, too. And I’ve been reading everything I can find about the Q40 class and pylon, in general. This is where things have begun to change. Most magazine articles have been enlightening, interesting, and have represented the sport in a productive way. But I must say, virtually everything I have read recently on the forums (including the NMPRA one) has been discouraging to say the least. For example, when I look at a thread to see the results and hear the news from the recent Tangerine event (which I wanted to attend), there are two posts about the event and 200 of arguing! This has been true of many other threads. It’s been tough to observe. The very sport that I was finally able to participate in seems to be coming apart at the seams from my perspective!

While the 426/428 debate didn’t affect me personally, one such topic did. The debate over the legality of the very Nelson SS/LS engine that I had just purchased has me very bummed. First, it’s not legal due to some paperwork. Then, the “loose ends” that supposedly made it not legal are tied up and it’s officially legal. But then some are offended by this sudden legality and don’t like the manner in which it occurred. So there is still another motion to make it illegal through some sort of emergency vote. Why? My impression as an outsider is that there must be some underlying issue at the foundation of this. And I don’t want to be a part of the feud. I just want to race and have fun!

So here’s the bottom line. I AM a new racer who is yearning to round the poles with you in the sport you also love. I have at least one other friend who is following the same path at this time. And more are on the fence wanting in, too. We have had received unbelievable support and encouragement from local racers around me that do nothing but increase our desire to race and ensure our success. I have easily purchased and subsequently acquired my own choice of airframe and engine (in a very timely manner) from amidst several options. And I am confident that this equipment will afford me the same possibility of success that anyone else has. This is all a real life, positive entrance into RC pylon that I and anyone else with the desire to do the same sincerely appreciate.
    The ONE problem is that much of the press that is circulating about RC Pylon does not reflect these facts or this positive image. It’s discouraging, for sure. Where are the ambassadors? People like me ARE watching.

I want to race and have fun. At least I know that’s what will be happening at Old Julian Airport. The guys there feel the lust for racing that I feel. I’m pretty sure the rest of you do, too.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gentlemen,
    Dave has made a great point that I hope we can embrace. What often happens on these internet forums is that people talk AT each other instead of TO each other. All the civility that is normally used in a face to face discussion is lost, and worse, falsehoods and rumors end up getting way more airtime than they ever should. There is no doubt that the engine situation created by Henry Nelson's retirement has caused some grief, but please remember that from 1989 until 2007, we had complete stability. Mark Parker won the NATS with a 14 year old engine because he flew really well. The situation with the conversion motors was handled within a very short period of time and there is stability once again. Don't blame racing, the NMPRA, the AMA Contest Board or anybody for Henry Nelson wanting to retire after over 20 years of making a quality product for us. Right now, in Q40 there are more engine options than ever before. There are short stroke Nelsons which can be run until you are ready to move up to the long stroke conversion which you can have done, there are long stroke Nelsons available by the handful on the auction sites, and there is the long stroke Jett which is readily available and becomming very popular because they are good! In Q500, the new 426 class uses the new Jett motor which is without a doubt the finest motor I have ever had the pleasure to race with, and costs less than a new top end and set of bearings for the old motors. In 424, Thundertigers have gone up a little from $65 but for less than a servo for an IMAC palne you can go racing.

Like Dave said, go to a race. People there are having fun! You will find that most guys will bend over backwards to help you out. What you won't find are the guys who create the most misery for everybody on the forums. These forums are their sole domain and they don't show up to races. If you need advice, ask someone who is more successful with an airplane than a keyboard. Contact me directly, that is what the NMPRA is for. Robert and Craig, and everybody else that wants to come out will be welcome with open arms by the racing community, and I know you will have a blast. Come to the NATS Craig. You can set up in my tent and we can both rag on Ralph - I owe him!
    Scott McAfee
    President - NMPRA
    www.nmpra.org

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Going to a race is much better than talking about them for sure.
    A guy who used to live on this site and now is rarely here due to the "upgrade".
    Most likely fading away till the My Forums is fixed. Too bad.