Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

Solo Launch Technique

Old 08-14-2003, 01:58 AM
PylonWorld
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solo Launch Technique

A while back we had a thread going about how to launch your Quickie or Quarter 40 by yourself. I'm too lazy to try and find it.

My almost 9 year old son helped me with the first flight of the day with the F3D/30, and was eager to help, since he was getting to fly it on the buddy cord. I got to one mistake high and gave him control. He rolled left and pulled his first pylon style turn. Then I started hearing wimpers of "I'm not ready yet", but I calmed him down and he got his first good taste of a "go where you point it" plane.

After dinner, the lure of the next door neighbor's pool, and his girlfriend next door left me without a helper.

I've tried various solo launching techniques, but haven't ever been fully satisfied, until tonight. I'm sure other people have figured this particular technique out, but I thought I would share it for the folks who haven't.

Leave the airplane switch off and place the plane in the launch position.

Extend the transmitter antenna, and place the TX on the ground on the left side of the plane, behind or even with the tail, and turn on the TX.

Go around to the front of the plane, and turn the switch on.

Release the fuel clip, and start the engine.

Make your way around to the rear of the plane and clear your starting box, glow clip, etc.

Take the tail in your right hand.

Pick up the TX with your left hand, and bring it over to your right hand.

Set the sticks to positions known to work for a non-push launch. You will still be able to hold the plane with the fingers of your right hand.

Visually verify the control surface positions, and let 'er rip.

Now I can fly at the clubs without having to acquire a helper, and I can practice solo, without awkward feeling takeoffs.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:42 AM
Ed Smith

There will be as many answers to this post as there are people launching there own airplanes.

I have noticed however one big difference between the way I start and launch an airplane and everybody else, helper or not. I never get in front of or in line with the propeller. I do not know why I do this, maybe I just like to be different. On the other hand perhaps others just love the idea of a prop blade sticking out of their ear!

Ed S.
Old 08-14-2003, 12:25 PM
rcrq500

I'm one of the lucky one's. Being left handed makes it soo easy for me. I hold the TX with my right hand and the plane with my left hand. When I launch the plane, the TX is in the correct hand for takeoff.

Rick Marquez
Old 08-14-2003, 02:08 PM
PylonWorld
Banned

Ed,

It's your control line speed days that cause you to get behind thy prop ASAP. Almost everybody that did CL speed for any length of time has seen props explode.

I'm the same way, be it on a plane or test stand. All taching, etc is done from behind the prop. Plus, you've got to get there to adjust the neddle anyway. I have a scar on my right hand where I reached over a 1/2A and the prop got me at the base of my thumb.

At the model fields, I get away from the danger zone. I'm sure people think I'm weird about it, but I've seen props embedded in too much stuff. And I've seen too many sport fliers not worry about the little nicks in their props.

The thing that makes me most nervous on the starting line is four props ready and willing to come apart.

At the FBO I used to fly Cherokee 140's at, they parked one beside the building. Even if I was engrossed in a conversation in the gathering area, when I saw someone pre-flighting the plane, I would change my position, go get get a drink and a snack, go inside, or whatever, so that I could put something between me and the prop line or forward of the prop line.

Rick,

The nice thing about the way I'm doing it now is that you can pre-set the right rudder, but being left handed, you can probably get on the rudder pretty fast.
Old 08-15-2003, 05:20 AM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've let one go, err, I mean my friend has let one go with the RX off and tried to do it several more times but somehow figured it out before it was too late. My point is that race day procedures/habbit patterns can go out the window if your not careful when you are all by yourself.

Kurt Bozarth
Old 08-15-2003, 04:11 PM
PylonWorld
Banned

Kurt,

That's why I said "Visually verify the control surface positions, and let 'er rip."
Old 08-15-2003, 10:36 PM
GOLEFT

Wouldn't it just be better to have a friend that can help you. I really don't think that it is a good idea to fly by yourself. Unless you don't have friends then I guess you don't have a choice....

Pylon World,

I read your post all the time and was looking threw old and new NMPRA newsletters, but I can't find your name on any of the race reports from any district. Where do you race I would love to race with you, it really sounds like you have lots of experiance.

Looking foward to meeting you in person someday.

John D.
Old 08-16-2003, 03:03 AM
PylonWorld
Banned

When you have your own flying field in your backyard, it is convenient to practice at times when the sun is favorable.

On the weekends and in the afternoons, I get my son, or my neighbor to launch for me. But since Walter often is watching his kids and my kid in the pool, I don't always have an available helper. But actually Walter does help, because he watches my turns at #1 and #3 and tells me how I did. His view of #1 is skewed just a little, but when he tells me that I'm consistently within 10-25 feet beyond #1, it is quite gratifying.

And when I'm flying my Speed 400 Pylon Racer, I don't need any help since I learned to launch it by myself the summer I got it.

Since you're in Florida, maybe you can come up to my races next year, or perhaps we'll get to race each other at Hodges Hobbies in Andersonville Georgia. I will NOT be attending any races in Florida ... It's a little too far to drive.

PS. How do you like your new RoadRunner access?
Old 08-16-2003, 03:02 PM
GOLEFT

Why do you always edit your post.

You first said that you weren't coming to Florida because there were a few polple that you dont like. Why did you change it.

You are a very hard person to read why not think about what you type before you put it on the forum then edit later?

I love Roadrunner and yes I am in Florida. You must be very smart or you just read my email address and figured it out LOL..
Old 08-16-2003, 05:04 PM
PylonWorld
Banned

"Why do you always edit your post."

Why don't you edit your message to add the grammatically correct ? mark at the end of your sentence?

"... were a few polple that you dont like. Why did you change it."

There are a few people (not polpe) in FL that I don't particularly care for. And once again your question is not properly terminated with a question mark.

Why don't you edit your message to correct the errors? When I see something in a message that I misspelled, or something that I decide may be even slightly inappropriate or inaccurate, I fix it. I presume that you never make a mistake. I do make mistakes, but I like to correct mine, if possible.

What is your email address, since I have no way of getting it?

When I meet you, I would like to know that I'm meeting you, so please post your full name.
Old 08-16-2003, 05:56 PM
GOLEFT

Again you went around the question. I didn't ask why you correct your grammer. I asked why you say one thing in your post about people and then you go and change it later. Why not stand by what you say and not back out after you reliaze you might be the one attacking people.

Why are you so concerned with knowing my name? Don't worry I travel alot and I am sure we will meet. I will make sure to come up and introduce myself to you when you are at a race.

Pylon world just try and stand by what you say and don't back out.

I really don't understand why you get to nuke any post made that doesn't agree with you. Is this an open forum, or is this your forum to talk about what you think you know????
Old 08-16-2003, 06:24 PM
GOLEFT

Thanks Pylon world,

Pylon world said he was sorry for nuking all my post thank you. I am glad to see you are a adult.

Lets get back to racing..

I still don't think it is safe to fly alone. You never know what can happen and it isn't a good idea.

Thanks again pylon world see you in GA someday maybe.....

John D.
Old 08-17-2003, 02:22 AM
rcrq500

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GOLEFT
[B]Wouldn't it just be better to have a friend that can help you. I really don't think that it is a good idea to fly by yourself. Unless you don't have friends then I guess you don't have a choice....

When I was living in the central valley of California, I would go to the field on Saturday morning and there would be no one there. It was a perfect time for me to practice. I could fly at least 5-6 times before anyone else would arrive. So to answer your question, I couldn't get anyone to wake up that early on a Saturday morning.

Rick Marquez
Old 08-17-2003, 02:27 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

I frequently fly by myself. I do so because I go straight from work and there isn't anyone there usually. Since my club field isn't set up for pylon and I do want to mimic a regular course, I have to fly over the pits which if any of the regular members saw that they'd all throw a big fit about flying over the pits and parking lot.
I start my racer, move to the back of the plane and stand with the fuse between my legs letting the v-tail keep it from getting away. I take a side step with one foot and the plane goes. It usually isn't a real pretty takeoff but it is good practice for bad launches during a real race.
basmntdweller
Old 08-17-2003, 09:04 PM
Ed Smith

Why do I fly alone?

Simple, I have no friends!! I wonder why that is!

Ed S
Old 08-17-2003, 10:42 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by Ed Smith
Why do I fly alone?

Simple, I have no friends!! I wonder why that is!

Ed S
Well now Ed that is not quite true, Even though we have not met I would be proud to fly with you anytime. Gee even though you do seem to have this fixation about backwards tanks.

John

Ex self launcher
Old 08-18-2003, 10:02 AM
Ed Smith

....I would be proud to fly with you anytime.
Well thank you. Even though we live far apart, you in the south west and I in the north east, that is a date. I might even teach you all about backwards tanks!

Ed s
Old 08-18-2003, 12:43 PM
kane

John, please don't encourage ED, he has no friends and lets leave it at that!
Old 08-18-2003, 04:11 PM
garys

Dan,
Remember we need to be careful with Ed, he tends to get confused easily. He doesn't talk correctly for anybody in North America, and he even thinks he lives in the Northeast.....Isn't he really in the Southeast of Canada?
I sometimes even feel bad for the poor guy...
GS
Old 08-20-2003, 10:49 AM
Ed Smith

One day you gentlemen will come to the start line and I will be the starter.............

Ed S
Old 08-20-2003, 11:16 AM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope you bring enough rum for every one

BV
Old 08-20-2003, 11:42 AM
kane

Are you threatening me? Is that a threat? You can't do that! What were you thinking! See this is exactly why you have no friends. You tend to pick on the gentlemen.

Everyone beware of Ed Smith he someday will have a flag in his hand!
Old 08-20-2003, 07:49 PM
garys

"One day you gentlemen will come to the start line and I will be the starter............."

So I supposed that at the Nats the last two years, you weren't the starter, and we just coincidently launched our airplanes when you were standing at the starting line waving a meaningless flag?

If this was the case, I want a refly for the heats you penalized me for launching early! Where's Condon? I need to talk to the guy in charge!

GS
Old 08-20-2003, 07:54 PM
Ed Smith

Posted by D. K.

Everyone beware of Ed Smith he someday will have a flag in his hand!
A flag and a rule book!!

Ed S
Old 08-20-2003, 08:45 PM
PylonWorld
Banned

Ed,

Does your rulebook allow for "materialthatcoverstheenginecompartmentholeandresto resthefuseslageshape"?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.