Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Crash at Reno Air Races

I just talked my friend, Tim Soukup. He and his father are at the Reno Air Races. Earlier this afternoon a P-51 crashed into the crowd, just behind the grandstand area in the midway. As of this time, the casualties are 12 dead, 30 injured. Soukup and his father were about 200 feet from the crash. They are both uninjured. The P-51 had pulled up out of the race and may have been attempting to re-enter the course. Soukup thinks that it stalled. It went in vertically at about 400 mph. There was no fire. The largest piece was smaller than a car door. The debris field went into the infield. That's all that I have for now, I'm sure that more will be forthcoming as the details start to sort themselves out. I just hope that none of your friends were in the area.

Gary
    Gary James
    AMA CD 68845, NMPRA 15I, RCCA #908

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Crash at Reno Air Races

Just saw it on the news, with the wife and kods.. Bad deal all around. Oir thoughts and prayers go out to all involved.
    Lee LaValley
    NMPRA# 33w
    www.ncplracing.org

\"To finish first, one must first finish.....\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I spoke with Tom Scott, he said it hit about 150-200 feet from his box seats.. Tom and his friends are not hurt. Tom also said Vern and Betsy Smith were in box seats as well.. they are also fine, just shaken up by how close it crashed to them. Jack Fehling family and his family are also at the Reno races, they are all safe as well..

WC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The earlier information that I got was not quite correct, the P-51 actually crashed into the first row of the box seat area, just in front of the grandstands approximately in line with the announcers stand. It was the same airplane that used to race under several different names, including the "Leeward Air Ranch Special". The pilot, Jimmy Leeward was 80 yrs old and was very well known in the airracing world.

To the best of my knowledge this is the first time that there has been injuries to spectators since the 1949 crash in Cleveland of "Begin the Beguine", a specially modified P-51.
    Gary James
    AMA CD 68845, NMPRA 15I, RCCA #908

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The pilot was 74, not 80.

There are photos of the tail that show the elevator trim tab pulled away from the elevator indicating mechanical failure. On one photo, it appears that perhaps the left and right sides of the elevator may have had a slightly different angle from each other.

The '49 Cleveland crash did not kill spectators, but rather crashed into a house near the course and killed the two occupants. That crash pretty much stopped close closed circuit air racing until 1964 when it started again in Reno.

The engine and part of the fuselage of the Miss Ashley II flown by Gary Levitz traveled almost two miles in 1999 ending up in a trailer park and slightly injured one person. Cause of that crash was blamed on flutter of the horizontal tail.
    - Supplementary insipid innocuous inane vacuous proclamation

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What a bad deal! Reno Air Racing is awesome!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don,t think there will ever be another airace in Reno. How would they get insurance? Beleave me I never wanted to see this happen. I love raceing.
    Ready turn

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This reminds me of what happen to bord track racing. They use to race motorcycles on bord tracks ,untill a bad wreck that killd some people in the stands. I,m sure they can find a way to bring back airracing in Reno ,but I beleave they are going to have to make some big changes. What if they just keep spectators off the area where they race? That would suck ,but I guess they have no choise.
    Ready turn

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

also my prayers go out to the familys affected by this 
    veho velox , veho ferreus , no altus , no recedentia
    drive fast, drive hard, fly high, fly far