Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looking for Android, Kindle Fire Users

I'm working on Android and also iOS development and I need some Android testers for an application I'm developing for R/C Modelers that runs on Android phones, Android tablets, Kindle Fire, etc.

The app is not specific to racing, but it will have some features that racers find interesting like Pitch Speed calculations, G-Force, Wing Loading, etc. Since I know some people in this community I thought I would post here.

Android apps are sand-boxed. And they have to ask for permission to access resources. This app does not use your contacts or internet connection in any way in the current version. There are no permissions requested or needed. It is a self contained program.

I'll upload a couple of screen captures so you can see some of what it looks like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Om32805.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	1707535   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rm37007.jpg 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	1707536   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xc80298.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	1707537   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Au56092.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	1707538  
    Don Stegall - www.RCCalculators.com - The everyday app for R/C Modelers
    www.RCPRO.org - www.facebook.com/RCPRO.org
    www.Club40Racing.com - www.facebook.com/Club40Racing
    www.ABMShowcase.com - www.facebook.com/AirBorneModelsShowcase

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Looking for Android, Kindle Fire Users

Here is a screen capture of the Wing Area Calculator on a 7" tablet that is effectively the same as a Kindle Fire. I can't get captures working on the Fire right now.

There is a shot of the same calculator on a Samsung Galaxy Epic phone.

I'm working on race management software that will run on the iPad (using MonoTouch), Kindle Fire, and Android tablets (using Mono for Android), but it is a ways out, not this coming season, at least not for AMA style racing.

Name:	Nl30251.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	1707776   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yt61441.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	1707777  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well Don I don't do any of the Andriod stuff but its good to hear from you again!! You've got to blow the dust off those racers and come join us for some turn and burn!!!!

Bob Harris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a droad Don what can I help with.

Jim
    We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public
    Jim McGuinn
    NMPRA Dist. 8 VP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: THRL-SKER

I have a droad Don what can I help with.

Jim
    Jim,

Thanks. What I need are some people to test on other phones or tablets and just to test the app an let me know how it works for them. Basic beta testing. Could be considered early beta to alpha testing in some cases.

Installation and removal is simple.

I will send you an email.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BobHH

Well Don I don't do any of the Andriod stuff but its good to hear from you again!! You've got to blow the dust off those racers and come join us for some turn and burn!!!!

Bob Harris
    Bob,

Good to hear from you too.

I've been reading the forums all along, just haven't been posting.

I am going to start flying R/C again in the next couple of weeks. I have been flying Realflight and my eyes seem better. If I do ok, I will race at the Old Julian races, especially if Trey gets the Club 40 races together. I do have the Screamer ready with a 424 engine, so I might be able to do 424 as well.

I'm really busy with software development. I spend many hours on Pluralsight and other training resources like Adobe CS Live.

2012 will be another year of career development and product development. I have several apps for the Android and iPhone/iPad in development. Most are not R/C related. I'm doing the R/C app because I got my son Matthew started in Android development earlier in 2011 when he got his Galaxy Tab 10.1 and he already was an expert on his Samsung Galaxy Epic phone. He actually learned Android development before me. I just helped him design the user interface and basic structure for RCCalcs, the forerunner to the app I will have in the Android Market and the Amazon Appstore. Then I took his code and professionalized it.

I am taking some time to update the RCPRO.org and Club40Racing.com web sites. I have created Facebook pages for them and have integrated Facebook onto them as part of my learning. I am also going to update PylonWorld.com and get all of the old information off of it.

So my racing time in 2012 will be limited. I will be very active in software development, application development, and web site deployments. But I plan to make some more videos for my channel on [link]http://www.youtube.com/donstegall[/link] as you can see, the Quickie wing videos have been fairly popular.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For anyone who wants to learn about Windows or ASP.NET development the Pluralsight videos are amazing. For only $30 a month you get unlimited viewing of the entire course library. I got started watching the free MVC 3 videos at [link]http://www.asp.net/mvc[/link] and you can take a look there too even if you are not ready for that course level yet just to see how complete the material is. They also have SQL Server and SharePoint, even Android and iOS (iPhone/iPad) courses.

For the people who don't have tablets yet and have been thinking about the Kindle Fire, I have had one since it was released. And we have had a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 since it was released. The Fire is not a full open tablet, and Matthew calls it a "non-Tablet", but even he uses it to read on and run some apps. NETFLIX, hulu plus, are all really cool for when you want to watch a movie or TV program around the house. And if you have Amazon Prime, you get a lot of free stuff.

Amazon Prime is great as well. Free two day shipping on anything Amazon stocks. On the Friday before Christmas, my wife Cindy said something about needing a shoe stretcher for some of her shoes. I hopped on Amazon and found some at a good price and ordered a pair of them. They arrived on Tuesday. No shipping, no tax. Matthew ordered his Christmas present video card on Tuesday, and paid just $3.99 for next day shipping on a single item. It arrived on Wednesday.

The Kindle Fire is a dandy little device that you can easily carry around. I will be more than happy to answer questions about it or other Android devices. Combined with Amazon Prime it is a really great deal. On top of everything it comes with the Amazon Appstore and with that they have a free Paid app per day. Everyday they allow you to "purchase" a pre-selected app that normally costs from $.99 on up (I've seen $14.99) that you will have in your library forever.

We also have an iPad 2 and iPod touch running iOS 5.0 and I will be getting and iPhone 4S for testing.

Yes, this is related to racing. I'm working on race management software that will run on the Kindle Fire because it will make a great little device for handling smaller races like the ones I suggested back in 2010. No battery issues as it runs with the screen on for more than 4 hours. It can easily make it through a full day of racing without the need for an external battery source. Even then, all it need is a cigarette lighter.

Posted by: Don Stegall

One trend I see is many clubs flying miscellaneous electrics in fun home grown racing classes.

There are many RTF and RX Ready planes out there these days that can have some trim colors added and become fun little racers. With a "Spec" mentality of a "One-Design" or maybe a couple of comparable planes, a lot of fun can be had.

Look at Tower Hobbiesยฎ P-51D Mustang Brushless Rx-Rโ„ข for a typical example. This is a new one. Horizon has quite a few.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Don, I'm not a computer expert or a racer....just your everyday sport flyer that likes to tinker and meddle with planes as I build. I'd like to try out your software though if you think I might help. I run Android, and have been known to hijack my wifes Kindle Fire from time to time.
    \"that\'\'\'\'s not flying, that\'\'\'\'s Falling with style!\"
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #108

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have emailed the app to all of you that have responded. Thanks.

The version I sent out is very limited, but it should be enough to get the concept of what I'm trying to do, and hopefully it will install and run on your devices.

I forgot to mention in the email that there is an Options menu. There will be page sensitive help, but only the main page has that help right now. Basically every calculator saves its state so that when you come back to it, it has what you last calculated. There is a global setting for the rounding precision that can be set from anywhere.

I plan to have explanations of what Pitch Speed is and why you would want to calculate it. I will have explanations for all of the calculators and graphics where possible.

The Engine Size calculator will go up to 12 cylinders. Not many model engines have 12 cylinders. Some have 4, and I've seen 5. But I went ahead and made it so that it could be used by (real) car guys.

The basic theme of the calculators is being able to calculate from different directions and in different measurement units. It makes the programming a bit of a challenge, But it makes thinking about what you are trying to figure out easier, at least to me.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jp_boud

Don, I'm not a computer expert or a racer....just your everyday sport flyer that likes to tinker and meddle with planes as I build. I'd like to try out your software though if you think I might help. I run Android, and have been known to hijack my wifes Kindle Fire from time to time.
    JP,

Thank you for testing and for your quick feedback.

Don, I was able to download the app. I had to do it through the file downloads. So far the only thing I would like to see, is the ability to convert c.i. To c.c. in the displacement menu.

JP
    I then responded with an email that had a little brainstorming.

Don, sorry to sound confusing there. Really I was just thinking that it would be nice to convert cc to ci in the engine size menu. I cannot select disp twice in that menu. Often time discusing glow vs gas engines is tough because one's size is stated in cc and the other in ci. It would be nice to be able to look at them "apples to apples is all".
    The load issue was minor. The link in the email gave a "failed to parse" error. I went to my downloaded files, opened it again and it installed without anymore errors. I'll let you know what it does when I load it on the fire.

JP
    JP,

Thanks so much. Would you mind if I post your reply in the RCU thread? This is exactly the kind of feedback I am looking for. If others see it, it may inspire others to participate and other testers would see the feedback. That will really help me.

I have included a new APK file that has Temperature and Displacement on the Unit Converter.

But because of this email I had a eureka moment after reading it. On the Wing Area calculator (and some others) the screen is reconfigured based on a selection at the top. So I enabled the Wing Area calculator in the version attached. It is not functional, but it does re-layout the screen when you pick different wing planforms so you can see what I am talking about.

What I am thinking is that the Cylinder selector can change the mode of the Engine Size calculator to just a Displacement calculator so the user doesnโ€™t have to go to the Unit Converter. I donโ€™t have the unit changers change the input units anywhere because we found that that led to confusion during operation., But in Displacement mode on the Engine Size calculator, it would just have From: and To:

I will be making this app available in the Android Market and in the Amazon Appstore, so installation issues will be non-issues there. For testers, it is just a little more complicated. Using something like ES File Manager is convenient. ES File Explorer is available in the Android Market and in the Amazon Appstore.

I will have a web site at [link]http://www.ModelCalculator.com[/link] with more calculators done in Microsoftโ€™s Silverlight technology. But they will only run on Windows PCโ€™s and Macs. I plan to have tablet versions of some more advanced building , designing, and performance calculators as well. The web site will be the support system for the Android and iPhone/iPad apps as well.

My goal for this app is to have something that someone can use in the shop or out at the field even if they donโ€™t have a good network connection. And a large part of the goal is developing the skills to develop, test, and deploy viable Android applications. So when you have any issues, please let me know.

Thanks again,

Don
    By all means, if it helps, post it. That was the idea right? Help you out so I end up with a useful app down the road. I'm just glad to be able to speak an idea or opinion to someone that is willing to listen. I will check out the new file as soon as I can this morning.

JP
    This is a great help to me. If you have an Android based phone or tablet, I invite you to share in the experience. It is easy and there is very little risk.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I didn't think to post the home calculator screen. Plus maybe I was holding back a little

And here is the working icon.

The phone version of Model Calculator will be more limited than the tablet version. Plus I plan to have more advanced calculators on the support web site for owners of the app or for subscribed users. The web site is not up yet, but it is registered and is at www.ModelCalculator.com

With the feedback that I have gotten, it will be better and it should be published in the Android Market by 3/1.

If you think of any calculators / formulas that would be handy for modelers, be it R/C, C/L, FF, etc, please let me know.

On the advanced web calculators I plan to have a full airplane designer and analysis Silverlight application that will evolve over time.

Name:	Ca82754.jpg 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	1709966   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fc90314.jpg 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	1709967  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have published the first release of the app on Google Play at RC Calculators And the web site is at RCCalculators.com. You can have a look at the web site for more screen shots, plus the online help is there that describes the functions of the calculators.

The app should be available in the Amazon Appstore for Android in a few days for Kindle and other Appstore customers.

Thanks to those who tested and suggested. A lot of those suggestions are in the queue for even more features.

I am charging the minimum $0.99 for the app because you can't change the price and I need the app to be self supporting. It is a lot of work. Updates are free for the life of the app. I use the app all the time and I know it is worth the price of a soda to me. I want to make it available for iPhone and iPad users. I have essentially learned iOS programming using video courses and just have to get a Mac to get it ported over.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The RC Calculators app is now available in the Amazon Appstore for Kindle Fire, other tablets, and phones at RC Calculators.

Testing for the Amazon Appstore is rigorous, so you can feel confident that the app is well tested. It does not and cannot access any of your personal information on your phone or tablet. It uses no device permissions at all. A future version may use network access and SD card access if permitted.

I have the Gas & Oil Mixing calculator done and there will be an update soon. Updates are trivial and automatic (in Google Play) if you select that option.

The RCCalculators.com web site has been updated and there are screen shots from a Kindle Fire on there now.

I'm going to do a lap counter and I'm trying to figure out if I should make it capable of counting laps for more than one plane. With multi-touch, I could have four quadrants and on a 10" tablet I think it would be feasible for one or two people to count laps for up to four planes.

One of my goals is to create a matrix program that runs on iPads and Android tablets using the mono development system that allows programming for both environments using C# and .NET ... but I need your support. So please buy the app if you have an Android device and spread the word. I'm going to add a Donate page to the app web site for those who support the concepts and vision.

At work I created an Android app to send and receive TXT messages and to communicate with web services. So I can create apps that store data in the "cloud". It would be cool to have a matrix / race management system with a central database.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RC Calculators has now been enabled for TEST DRIVE NOW on Amazon.

If you go to [link]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008ZEI7TE/ref=mas_pm_rc_calculators[/link] and click on TEST DRIVE NOW, you can use the app like you are on a phone, except it shows a slightly different keyboard. You have 30 minutes to use the app.

This is a real cool feature on Amazon and apps have to pass a lot of testing to get enabled. So I'm very happy.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for Jim McGuinn for the suggestion of adding a prop chart to the app.

I have added a new Gas / Oil Mix calculator and a Propeller Chart to RC Calculators and the new version is online on Google Play. The new version has to get approved for the Amazon Appstore and should be online in a few days.

Thanks to those who have bought the app. I have gotten good feedback from those who have bought it and those who have tried it out at Amazon using TEST DRIVE NOW.

I am working on MAC and CG calculators as well as various electrical calculators. If you have a suggestion for a calculator or feature, please let me know. Jim's prop chart suggestion was a very good one to have at the field or any time and these are the kinds of things that add value.

Name:	Db85090.jpg 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	1797383   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sn39791.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	1797384   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mr41498.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	1797385   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ic84858.jpg 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	1797386   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kv15295.jpg 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	1797387  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The the Mac app work on the I Pad?
    Barry...
    http://www.RCPRO.org

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The MAC calculator is the Mean aerodynamic chord. Sorry for the confusion.

But I am going to do the app on iPhone and iPad. How soon kind of depends on the reception and how many requests I get. If I get a lot of people Liking the Facebook page and sending me requests for an iPhone/iPad version, I will get it done sooner. I have to buy a MacBook or Mac before I can get started though. The hard part is done. The design and calculations. I may do a web based version that would be at least usable on an iPad. Put your votes in.

I'm making the MAC and CG calculators smart and they use wing planforms instead of just being based on a tapered planform. I try to make the calculators "best of breed" and will continue to refine them.

I know the app is useful. I use it all the time. Even if it is just for the unit conversions. I have other unit converter apps from others, but the one in my app is simple to use.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have added the Calculators for Aero-Modeling page from the old RCPRO site back to the new site. It has a Pitch Speed calculator and a G-Force calculator. The Calculators are accessible from the RCPRO Home Page

I also added a Donations page on RCPRO at Donations page and a Donate button to the RCPRO.org web site so that people can donate to the RCPRO cause.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have added Drill Size Charts to RC Calculators. The updated app is available on Google Play and you can get it now on your Android device. Some screen shots are below.

The app will be updated on the Amazon Appstore in a few days after approval.

I have been working on the web based calculators and have one of them available for people to try out on desktop browsers or on iPads or other tablets. You can go to www.rccalculators.com/htmlcalc and try the Unit Converter. These will not be a replacement for the Android or planned iPhone/iPad apps, but will be part of my goal of making the tools available when and where modelers need them. My first efforts had fancy combo boxes. But I found that simple controls work best on the iPad and on Android tablets.

Windows 8 tablet support is already in progress.

RC Calculators is a long term project and your input is appreciated. If there are calculations you do, others may need to do them as well.

Name:	Ay74140.jpg 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	1807828   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oj28129.jpg 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	1807829   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ze85395.jpg 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	1807830   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ic83623.jpg 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	1807831  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I really liked the drill charts and I did some more work on them for scaling on larger screens like the Kindle and other tablets. I haven't updated RC Calculators on Google Play yet.

But I have created a new standalone FREE app called Drill Bit Charts with the new scaling and you can get it now from Google Play directly from your Android device by searching for drill bit charts. The Google Play page is at Drill Bit Charts.

I will be submitting it to the Amazon Appstore but that will take 4-5 days for approval. So Kindle users will have to wait just a little while. It does work well on the Kindle though.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Drill Bit Charts app is available on the Amazon Appstore now, so Kindle Fire users can install it. Or anyone who has the Amazon Appstore installed on their Android device. It is FREE as it is on Google Play. You can search for drill bit or drill chart from your device.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm getting ready to release a new version of RC Calculators this weekend. It has four types of battery chemistry supported. There are five levels of voltage that are calculated. I have looked at a lot of sources of information and the screens below show the best values that I have been able to come up with. The Nominal voltages are pretty solid. I don't see much variation in those. The Peak voltages are also pretty consistent from Wikipedia to other sources. The others are somewhat subjective with some sources being more conservative.

If you think any are wrong, please post or message me privately.

Name:	Zx71541.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	1814544   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sn40246.jpg 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	1814545   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ej13119.jpg 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	1814546   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ic84522.jpg 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	1814547  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    The free edition of my RC Calculators Android app is now online at Google Play. It has banner ads in it on most of the pages. I created this version so that people can try it out before they buy it and get the Ad-Free edition. Even my wife uses the Unit Converter. My goal is to enhance the paid edition with a lot more useful calculations. http://play.google.com/store/apps/de...alculatorsfree

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    The latest version of the paid RC Calculators app ($0.99) is now on the Amazon Appstore at http://www.amazon.com/Don-Stegall-RC.../dp/B008ZEI7TE so Kindle users can get it now. I will be getting the Ad-Supported Free Edition on Amazon soon.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    The ad supported RC Calculators Free Edition is now in the Amazon Appstore at http://www.amazon.com/Don-Stegall-Ca.../dp/B00GTTVWQW so Kindle Fire (all versions) and other Android users can get it from Amazon if they prefer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast