Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

Rossi 40

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 06:34 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rossi 40

Another engine just walked in the door and I was hoping someone could tell me something about it. It's a new, never run, never mounted Rossi 40 FI R/C but I have no information about it. I've been told that it's a racing engine but I've also been told that it's a sport engine. Anybody familiar with this gem?

Thanks,
Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38585.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	1746851   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72185.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	1746852  
Old 04-04-2012, 06:40 PM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rossi 40

you can use it as a sport engine or you can use it for q500, its not competitive with nelsons or jetts but it can still boogie, a jettstream mufflers and some pylon props can give you very strong engine for quickie or pattern planes, its a very durable engine if you have head shims use them..for 15 percent nitro fuels
Old 04-04-2012, 06:50 PM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

[quote]ORIGINAL: dbacque

Another engine just walked in the door and I was hoping someone could tell me something about it. It's a new, never run, never mounted Rossi 40 FI R/C but I have no information about it. I've been told that it's a racing engine but I've also been told that it's a sport engine. Anybody familiar with this gem?

Thanks,
Dave
[/quote

talk to these guys,,, http://www.rossienginesusa.us/

BV
Old 04-04-2012, 07:31 PM
dbacque

Thanks. How would it compare to the Webra Speed 40 Pylon for a speedster?

Dave
Old 04-04-2012, 08:08 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A little historical perspective.

For 6 or 7 years Rossi 40's ruled the roost at quickie races (from about 1984-1991, it had a bit of a tuned muffler. Trouble was, there was some variation in production parts, so there tended to be some mix and match of parts from multiple engine and perhaps at times other actions were taken. So a very good time with the Rossi was under 1:20, and perhaps at time as low as 1:16.

Suddenly in 1991, the Webra appeared on the circuit and at it's first outing it knocked off a 1:12, effectively unseating Rossi from the top of the hill at the winter race in Phoenix.

But alas, Webra was just a flash in the pan, as Lyle Larson turned a 1:04.89 in March 1991 with the then brand new Nelson. He bought the engine at the race and held the national record by the end of the contest.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:17 PM
dbacque

Sounds like you're saying given the choice between the two, the Webra would be the faster engine. Is that right? It's what I've been leaning towards. It worked this way. I want to build something fast. Okay, here's 2 engines, pick one and keep it. Aargh! I don't know either of them!

Dave
Old 04-04-2012, 08:38 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends, there were several Webra engines that were used in quickie. Early on most just flew K&B engines, but then people wanted to start flying Schnuerle ported engines since they figured that if not used for racing they would be better for sport models than the weak K&B. So we entered the "engine of the month" club, which meant that people spent a lot of money chasing which motor that seemed to go well at the previous contest. ST, Como, HB, Webra, OS, Fox, and maybe a couple that I have forgotten all came and went. It got very expensive.

The really hot Webra was just introduced too late. So they may be somewhat rare, since nobody was looking for one after the Nelson came out, and I don't remember if they were much different in design from the earlier effort. One plus is that they are quite a bit lighter than the Rossi.

So I would put on a test prop that let's them turn up to16-18K and see which one runs better.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:31 PM
dbacque

Thanks guys,
Dave
Old 04-08-2012, 08:20 PM
edstrek
My Feedback: (49)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a link for Rossi engines some good info on tuning and prop size.

http://www.rossienginesusa.us/SGME/R...structions.pdf