Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > General Racing Discussion
Reload this Page >

Prather Pitch Gauge--Still Available?

Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

Prather Pitch Gauge--Still Available?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 11:01 PM
IRLJR
My Feedback: (37)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prather Pitch Gauge--Still Available?

Can't seem to locate a Prather Pitch Gauge--anyone here know where to get one? I've contacted Prather, and was informed they may do a run sometime this coming summer.
Thanks
IRL
Old 01-24-2003, 06:38 AM
DrewTelford

Default Prather Pitch Gauge--Still Available?

I've got 2 old ones, I'd part with one for $40 plus shipping if you can't find one.

I got the Edmunds, but it was more $$.
See it at www.darrolcady.com under propellors.
These are hard to get but Darrol might have some.

If you want one of my Prather's, let me know at [email protected] both in good shape, I just don't use them anymore.

Drew
Old 03-15-2007, 01:23 AM
jigsawyer
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: Prather Pitch Gauge--Still Available?

Drew - If you still have a spare Prather Pitch Guage, I have a friend who really wants one.

Email me - [email protected] with your price, and shipping charges, if possible.

I know this is a longshot, as your post is 5 years old.

Best wishes,
Ralph Wenzel
Old 03-15-2007, 07:03 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

I got one at www.darrolcady.com a couple years ago. I don't see it listed on his website, but I'd give Darrol a call or email, he may still have some.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Super Splatter

Yo, Daven or anybody

When you get a chance, can you measure the block that the prop goes onto, I have a gauge and lost the block and wish to make a replacement

thanks ahead of time
Old 03-15-2007, 08:07 PM
daven

after carefull measurement, the block places the bottom of the prop at exactly 13/32" above the top of the groove.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:22 PM
Super Splatter

Excellent, I can take it from there...
Old 03-16-2007, 07:14 AM
Ed Smith

The height of the block does not matter. The angle of the blade will not change.

Ed S
Old 12-05-2012, 10:54 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Prather Pitch GaugeStill Available?

Are these still available?
Old 12-05-2012, 11:18 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

every once in a while you see one pop up on Ebay, but you have to be watching for them.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:35 AM
BarryReade

I just got one off Ebay for $58 delivered.  it was used.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:55 AM
fizzwater2

You got a bargain.. I've seen them sell for 100 bucks lately. Congrats!
Old 12-05-2012, 11:59 AM
BarryReade

I missed a brand new one in tyhe original box that went for.............$52 plus shipping.  I almost cried!!!
Old 12-06-2012, 09:31 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Hello to Drew, and everyone. Always keep an eye out for modelers who are selling off their stuff, or estates
of modelers who have passed away. Tell your friends that you are looking for a Prather Pitch Gage, and that if they see one at a swap meet to pick it up, as long as the price is reasonable. (Anything under $60.00: Don't forget the cost of shipping?) Even if you end up with a couple of extras, there will be someone who needs one! I only have my origional one which I've had for almost 40 years, but if I stumble on a used one I will buy it.

Here is a suggestion from the guys who have been in this hobby for a long time.
At one time the paint on the face of the Prather Pitch Gage did not stand up well over a lot of use, and the arm would scrape the paint off. A good fix is to put clear plastic sticky film over the face. I used what the controline combat guys used to call "fast-cal". Clear shelf paper would probably work too. Good luck, Greg
Old 12-09-2012, 09:23 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I photocopied the front face of a friends and machined up my own.  I just glued the photocopy on some 1/16th alum sheet and screwed it on the base with c/sunk screws. 
Old 12-09-2012, 09:41 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I put the Fast-cal on mine over 30 years ago. Simple solutions in simpler times! Greg
Old 12-10-2012, 08:36 AM
GSJames

There are some images of a version of John Kilsdonk's (a famous CL racer) pitch gauge on the internet as well as the original article in Model Aviation August 1975. Here is the link: http://marlongofast.tripod.com/models/pitchGtxt.htm

When I get home from this trip, I'll go get my copy of the magazine and see if I can make a CAD-accurate rendition of the gauge. I'll post it so that you can print out your own copy.

Here is a link to a thread on the 1/2 A forum about pitch gauges. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_59...tm.htm#5995064

I wonder if there is any pylon-racing machinist (Dub or Mike perhaps?) that would make a short-run of them? Pitch gauge kits, perhaps?
Old 12-10-2012, 09:19 AM
fizzwater2

I built one of those way back when.. had the baseplate machined out of a chunk of thick lexan clear.. made the indicator arm out of a piece of printed circuit board material.

It worked, but I always wanted a Prather gauge because the "stations" on the roll-your-own didn't line up with those of the Prather gauge, and the folks I was learning from had those.

Didn't get a Prather gauge till many years later, found one on ebay probably 4-5 years ago, maybe more.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:19 AM
GSJames

ORIGINAL: fizzwater2

It worked, but I always wanted a Prather gauge because the ''stations'' on the roll-your-own didn't line up with those of the Prather gauge, and the folks I was learning from had those.
Gordon: I'm thinking that the pitch markings on the face plate could be laser-etched from a CAD file onto aluminum so that they would be accurate and would align correctly. I have done this with my full-size airplane kit: www.mini-imp.com for the fold lines and part numbers and it worked really well. I have a local metal laser cutter that could turn these out fairly easily once I provide them with the pattern.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:46 AM
fizzwater2

Gary - they were accurate, it's just that the spacing between the grooves in the baseplate were different - so for example station 3 on a Prather gauge wasn't at the same radius as station three on this gauge.

Didn't make a hill of beans difference unless you were trying to compare pitches at various stations with someone using a Prather gauge. It worked just fine for what it was intended to do, measure props.

I printed the scale of mine on a laser printer, glued it to the faceplate and covered it with a thin (1/32" or so) layer of plexiglass to protect the scale.

Makes me wonder what happened to that.. it may have fallen victim to the "great cleanup" when I moved out of the house I'd been in for 15 years or so to the one we're in now. There was a LOT of stuff from the basement that didn't make the move..

Laser etching would be pretty slick, not a bad idea.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:50 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder if there is any pylon-racing machinist (Dub or Mike perhaps?) that would make a short-run of them? Pitch gauge kits, perhaps?
I have been kicking the idea around for a while but really don't have an idea of how many to make. If you guys are serious and I can do a decent size run of them I think this is doable.
They would be laser marked and anodized for sure.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:01 PM
BarryReade

Hi Vic, I would take one. So you can put me on the list.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:45 PM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The stations on a Prather were metric, while the gage was in inches. All the homebuilt designs ignored that, so their stations were different. But if you can read the degrees you can figure the pitch at any point on the blade with the scientific calculator on your computer, or really go out on a limb and do a simple spread sheet. I think I did my first one about 39 years ago on an IBM 360 main frame for Chris Machin (maker of Rev-Up props) back in the day.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:57 PM
cessilva20

I have a prather prop pitch guage willing to sell for right price loike new. Don't use anymore havent pylon raced since 2000 lots of racing props new APC Q500 QM40 if intrested let me know

Old 12-11-2012, 09:58 PM
cessilva20

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.