Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

FAI - Electric Pylon

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 05:52 PM
Arch Adamisin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FAI - Electric Pylon

I will sit down this evening and start a re-write of the F5D rules and attempt to close those openings that currently exist. In the meantime, will you send a contact address for Emile or someone else on rules committee that I might contact concerning this situation.
Thanks, Arch
Old 09-25-2003, 06:13 AM
kane

To Steve's defense, He and everyone at the field including the CD, thought that it was a cut. The problem came in when the CD went to the rules to indentify how it was a cut. He couldn't find anything, nor could anyone else, myself included. After a couple of minutes of arguing and looking like a complete JERK I walked away realizing that the action wasn't addressed. Right or Wrong it simply isn't in the rules.

The difficult task is how to word it, so it can't happen again.

Here is my thoughts:

The action of completing a 360 degree turn inside the course will be considered 1 infringement. Inside the course is defined to be the region encircled by the 3 pylons.

Then state that an attempt to turn around and go back to any pylon that had been missed is deemed detrimental to the operation of the race and the pilot will receive 2 infringement penalties.

Dan
Old 09-25-2003, 11:49 AM
garys

That sounds pretty good Dan, now rewrite it in English for the AMA rules!
GS
Old 09-25-2003, 11:54 AM
Arch Adamisin

Dan,
I like it but to insure that this will NEVER happen again, I'd include, after the last sentence, this action WILL REQUIRE IMMEDIATE disqualification from the competition. I think we need to deture anyone from even thinking about it.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:26 PM
PylonWorld
Banned

Now I get to show my age.

In 1969 or 1970, turn arounds were allowed in Goodyear/Formula 1. As the event matured, it was determined that this was indeed very dangerous for everyone. A look at the 1971 or 1972 F1 rules will show that action was taken to eliminate the turn-around. It was written that crossing the centerline of the course itself would result in a cut and/or DQ. The cut was called by the #1 judges sitting under #1, and was a discretionary call.

Of course, we can't use that criteria anymore because of off course judging. But the danger should be obvious, since the setbacks are based on going around the triangle.

Imagine a plane making a turn-around at #1 and the wing departing the fuselage as the plane is aimed at the pits/spectators.