Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

New technology coming down the pike

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 04:36 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New technology coming down the pike

I read the other day about a new radio technology currently being developed called "Impulse Radio Ultra-Wide Band" (IR-UWB). It will consist of single chip transceivers that can transmitt and receive signals, with one of the possible applications of this technology to be position measurement, accurate to about 1.5 inches. One company that has been developing one of the chipsets has proved it to have a range of up to 880 meters (roughly a half mile). At this point information is kind of sketchy, but it is projected to enter the market in two or three quarters, so it hopefully will be available for commercial development in early 2014.

The number of people that it takes to operate a race course has long been a problem that limits contests. In addition, since most of the course workers have moved to remote off course locations for safety reasons, we no longer call hooks and slices at pylon one so precise flying has been removed from the equation of three pole pylon. If a automated system could be developed using IR-UWB transceivers, all these problems could be overcome.

One of the problems with using RF links to measure distance has been multi-path of the RF signals that create timing errors. The IR-UWB chip spreads the pulse over a very wide band of frequencies, and ignores those that arrive late due to multi-path reflections.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:53 AM
MFLOOD3800
My Feedback: (51)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New technology coming down the pike

HP

I am very interested in the progression of this technology. Please keep updates coming and Thx a Ton!!
Old 05-20-2013, 10:13 AM
GSJames

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ijust finished reading a "layman's" article on the subject; http://www.electronics-eetimes.com/e..._id=222916600#

Very interesting. With accuracy of a few inches and triangularization from a master on each pylon, along with some clever programming, I can see how it would be possible to develop a system that would track position and time and relay that information to the timers stand wherein it would be processed and cuts, time, etc could be automatically entered and displayed. Hopefully this will work and some smart modeler will figure out how to use it.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:38 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gary,
If I read it right this would be pretty good for Q25 and C40 speed models right now.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:40 PM
GSJames

ORIGINAL: vicman

Gary,
If I read it right this would be pretty good for Q25 and C40 speed models right now.
I was looking for information on update rate but didn't see any. In order for the technology to be usable for our purposes, the position update rate would have to be on the order of 1000 times per second or so. Since the "round trip" time is on the order of picoseconds, a 1000 Hz update rate should be do-able. 180 mph (Q-40 speeds?) is 3168 in/sec, so a 1000 Hz update rate would give position within 4 inches or so which is about twice the nominal accuracy of the system as described. The question then becomes could a general purpose laptop or iPad type device process that much data, (x 4 airplanes) "real-time"and present it as usable information. I'm an "Aero", not a EE, but I think it might be workable. It looks like Bob has really discovered something that might just bring big improvements to our hobby. Thanks Bob!, this will be interesting to watch develop.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:37 PM
HighPlains

I received an email from the CEO of the company developing the transceiver chip set. At present evaluation kits are only allocated to their stratigic partners, but he expects that a second batch will be available later this year.

As far as update rates required, I don't think we need anything as fast as you are suggesting Gary. Human reaction time is in the 150-200 mSec range, which doesn't matter so much to the pilot, but is pretty tough on a flagger. Anybody that ever spent much time at pylon one (back in the old days of setting at the pylon) will tell of airplanes that looked like they would round the pylon so the signal would be sent but a sudden unexpected tightening of the turn caused a cut.

Since RF signals travel at about 1 foot every nanosecond, a round trip signal for 600 feet is only 1.2 micro-seconds plus processing time of the transceivers. In that brief time, a Q40 will only travel about 0.004 inches. So a system might have a transceiver in each model, and three transceivers on the ground to pinpoint each airplane in 3 diamentional space, assuming that each transceiver can be tasked to measure the distance to multiple transceivers in rapid succession. At this point I have no information on how fast they really are, though having a GHz bandwidth involved, they might be fairly fast if enough power is available. Anyway, we should know more in the next six months.

Besides running an automated course, it should be able to keep a detailed plot of the track of each airplane, as well as ground speeds, altitudes, and airspace boundary violations. Of course, it all boils down to software if the hardware pans out.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:22 AM
daven

I bet a lot more cuts would be called, but at least it would take out the "human factor".
Old 05-28-2013, 12:54 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Only on you Dave, I can't seem to get that close.

It would definitely enforce the button hole.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:30 PM
HighPlains

The latest update from BeSpoon (it's a French company, maybe it doesn't translate well) is that the 2nd batch of development kits will be available in January 2014. They will start taking orders in July, and a comprehensive documentation pack will be available under NDA at pre-order time.

So 6 to 8 weeks I might have a better idea if this meets our requirements.

NDA means Non-Disclosure Agreement
Old 07-30-2013, 05:59 AM
Tbatt
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got any additional info? This sounds very interesting!

Our company makes a Time Speed Position Information (TSPI) system for small rockets that would work great but no one could afford them at $30K a pop!
Old 08-01-2013, 11:24 AM
HighPlains

I received word from Bespoon that they are currently running behind schedule on their development program. More information should be available in September, or about 6 weeks. Looks like a good winter project which was always my goal.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:05 PM
HighPlains

Well it's been a little over a year now since I last looked into Bespoon's chip for distance measurement. They have a small module that will be available on 12/1/14 that includes a microprocessor, the IR-UWB and support hardware on a half inch square circuit board. In essence, just add power, antenna, and software and you have distance measure solution.

A quick cursory look at the control set looks like these can be programed to operate over one of four channels (or band of frequencies), though perhaps more are available. Nevertheless, four would be enough. Hopefully a pair or three could jump between each 4 bands quick enough to operate a course with a high enough resolution to maintain about a 1 foot accuracy for 4 planes simultaneously. While three ground units would be required to do a true 3 dimensional position, it may not really be needed since the fast guys fly so low to the ground anyway, so the altitude information might not be required if the ground units are at a enough distance away from the course.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:23 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When will your prototype be done?