Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

New master tach tachometer

Old 07-30-2013, 05:27 AM
Triggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New master tach tachometer

New master tach tachometeron E-bay

http://bit.ly/130dkUm

Old 07-31-2013, 05:40 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: New master tach tachometer

I really want one of those but not at that price.[X(]
Old 07-31-2013, 06:45 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was watching the auction, too - but lost interest about 50 bucks ago...

Old 07-31-2013, 06:48 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

I believe Alan was selling them for close to $300 a few years ago (if you could even get one)..

I've tried to needle q40's with digi tachs and it just sucks, love my Analog Master Tachs...
Old 07-31-2013, 07:06 AM
vicman

5 days to go at that price with 18 bids is the main thing that spooked me.
Maybe I need to list a Cox TD right now?
Old 07-31-2013, 07:25 AM
daven

I have a NIB Cox Conquest .15, those tend to go well also, especially if you have the little muffler.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:49 AM
vicman

Just sold a ton of OK and O&R ignition engines last week.

Dave, since you don't need your tach anymore, I think you should make a contribution to the Vicman foundation
Old 07-31-2013, 11:17 AM
Triggs

I bought that tach for $275 brand new.  This past spring.  It took me over 3 years to get my hands on one.  But, Now I'm just so used to using the TNC. 
Old 07-31-2013, 12:41 PM
vicman

I hope you get your money back. It looks like you are on track.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:34 AM
daven

I'm going to use my master tac tonight Vic...

I actually have two of them, ha ha...
Old 08-01-2013, 10:01 AM
fizzwater2

So you use both, and average the readings?

If you have one in each hand, who sets the needle valve?

But seriously, the Master Tach is nice. I don't own one, but a friend of mine does, and it's a nice box.

I still have an old (after all, I'm old, too) Royal Pro-Tach. Still works, too. At least as well as I do.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:17 AM
BarryReade

Hey Fizz, isn't that the one the Wright Brothers used??
Old 08-01-2013, 12:35 PM
fizzwater2

You know, Barry, it might just be! It ought to be worth a fortune!

Even more archaic.. I have a Heathkit "Thumb Tach" that I built from a kit probably in 1973 or 1974... It works, but I wouldn't want to use it! Tiny meter, and no expanded scales - kinda hard to tell 20,000 RPM from 18,000 RPM on that one!

Old 08-01-2013, 01:52 PM
BarryReade

ORIGINAL: fizzwater2

You know, Barry, it might just be! It ought to be worth a fortune!

Even more archaic.. I have a Heathkit "Thumb Tach" that I built from a kit probably in 1973 or 1974... It works, but I wouldn't want to use it! Tiny meter, and no expanded scales - kinda hard to tell 20,000 RPM from 18,000 RPM on that one!

I remember them. I can't remember what I used for my F1's back in the 70's. I have been wanting a Master tach for Q40 and I am watching this one.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:12 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Fizz, Is your Royal Pro Tach a Gray case, or the later White case? My Gray case died several years ago, but my trusty White case is still working fine. Some years ago I had Allen Booth install a modification on my Pro Tach so it would read higher. I don't know if he still works on the Pro Tach's or not. As a side note, I also have a James G. Biddle mechanical tach that I bought 40 years ago. I don't use it "on the line". I only use it when I'm doing serious test bench work. Greg
Old 08-02-2013, 05:17 AM
fizzwater2

Greg - it's a white one. Still works, don't use it much because it's in really good shape, I'm mostly just "having" it..

Been using a TNC tach that belongs to a buddy of mine lately, just to try it out. It's OK, but I think I prefer the old needle type.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:10 AM
daven

I have one of the first 5 Master Tacs ever built (with only 5 buttons), belonged to Rex Knepper (his name is scratched into it), I think it may have then gone on to Terry Frazer after that, and I bought it from Mike DeNeve probably close to 15 years ago for $50. I use that for local club racing and sport use. My other one is only used for traveling and stays wrapped in poly, batteries changed every year before leaving to Muncie. Alan serviced both of mine about 5 years ago and told me how old the history of the old one. Just don't break the glass on these things as its nearly impossible to replace anymore.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:18 PM
garys

I've had my current Master Tack for close to twenty years and it's been rock solid. I've been wanting a backup for a long time, but Allen never had any when I checked with him. I don't know if he has any now, and I can't get in touch with him from my current overseas work location, so I went ahead and bid high on Trigg's, winning the auction! I know if I were patient I could probably save a few $ waiting on Allen, but when I had the chance to get one I jumped on it

Triggs...you have the tack listed as "payment received", although I haven't sent you the payment...it's now keeping me from sending payment because of it. Can you give me your email address for Paypal, or another option for paying?

Thanks!!
Old 08-08-2013, 04:09 AM
cbk07
My Feedback: (64)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

My original Master Tach is over twenty years old. Besides reading 200 RPM high, it still works like a champ. I met Alan Booth at the 2012 Nats and he offered to recallibrate it.....it is more fun letting everyone think my motor is 200 RPM faster than theirs! He also told me he was making a run of about 12 tachs at that time. I was able to get a brand new backup from him last fall. Not sure if he is producing them regularly again or not. Once you get used to using one, it is hard to use anything else. Hard to buy anything these days that lasts twenty years plus, especially in the environment we use them in.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:30 PM
RonMcCormick
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by GREG DOE
Hey Fizz, Is your Royal Pro Tach a Gray case, or the later White case? My Gray case died several years ago, but my trusty White case is still working fine. Some years ago I had Allen Booth install a modification on my Pro Tach so it would read higher. I don't know if he still works on the Pro Tach's or not. As a side note, I also have a James G. Biddle mechanical tach that I bought 40 years ago. I don't use it "on the line". I only use it when I'm doing serious test bench work. Greg
WOW! I stumbled on this thread while looking for a good tach, had an order in for a TNC but got tired of waiting. Reading about the Pro Tach I remembered having one some time ago. Well I went down into the basement and started digging when I got down to 1976 there it was. I thought "hope I didn't leave batteries in it!" opened it and no batteries like new inside. After putting bats in I tested it and works like new!!! It will be great fun pulling it out to check the young ones RPM at the field.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:43 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Ron, Great news I'm happy for you. I personally think the Pro Tach is as good as anything today, except the Master Tach.
I have my name and phone number on mine, so if I loose it, and some honest person finds it, they can get it back to me.
You might consider listing it in your Last Will and Testament?
Old 10-23-2013, 09:19 PM
RonMcCormick
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by GREG DOE
Ron, Great news I'm happy for you. I personally think the Pro Tach is as good as anything today, except the Master Tach.
I have my name and phone number on mine, so if I loose it, and some honest person finds it, they can get it back to me.
You might consider listing it in your Last Will and Testament?
Thanks Greg, I take my sons into my shop and tell them "when I'm gone all you see will be yours and for some reason they start crying". It will be fun using the Pro Tach again