Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > General Racing Discussion
Reload this Page >

What make is this beautiful plane?????

Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

What make is this beautiful plane?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 12:13 PM
Gearbreaker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What make is this beautiful plane?????

I have owned this plane for many years and I think it goes back to the 70's. Looks to never have been crashed. I am going to try to kit it up and fly it so I am looking for any info that I can find.
Knowing what it is will help with the project. It is made from what looks like foam and wood with an extremely smooth coating over it. No ribs to be seen anywhere. It weighs 7.6 pounds with only the servos, no tank, engine, receiver or battery. The wingspan is 64". I would like to power it with a gas engine but have no idea what size would do the trick. Any help or info would be well appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane 3.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	274.7 KB
ID:	2050304   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane 1.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	2050305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane 2.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	2050306  
Old 11-26-2014, 01:16 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like a Dirty Birdie. The modern ARF is sold by Great Planes (Tower Hobbies). Only real difference I can see is your upright engine vs the ARF with a side mounted engine.
Link to their page: http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1975.html

Name:	gpma1975-main.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	2050326  
Old 11-26-2014, 01:55 PM
Gearbreaker

Skylark, Looks like you may have hit it or at least come close. I think that my plane is an early iteration of the Dirty Birdie or perhaps the sister plane "The UFO". From what you said I have done some research and it looks like the 12:00 engine orientation was standard on the UFO. The servo tray setup is a little different along with the engine mounting (as you said). The manual that I downloaded from your link has a priceless bunch of information to help me get the plane in the air. Interestingly, this plane was hung over an airport bar for many years so the only damage that it suffered while on display (for around 20 years) was tar and nicotine which I nearly needed a chisel to remove. I can't thank you enough for taking the time to reply.

Last edited by Gearbreaker; 11-26-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:28 AM
skylark-flier

Geez, never thought about the UFO or I'd have opted for that first. I've GOTTA believe the plane's kit-built, which may account for the differences between yours and "stock". Case in point, I just finished refurbishing/restoring my 1974-built CG Sr. Falcon. Other than the basic airframe there is very little inside this bird that's according to the original instructions. Engine is now mounted on metal mount (and has been for a long long time), the entire radio compartment interior is "mine", not CG's.

But that's to be expected after 40 years in the air, I guess.

There was nothing wrong with her really, but after 40 years in the air she's a bit beat up. Visually, it's only the nose that's been fixed, but inside a lot was done too.

Before "fixing" : Now (a week ago, still on table):

Love that plane!!!!!!!

Name:	Falcon3-946x675.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	2050473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Falcon4-882x602-engine-detail.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	2050476   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1764-50pct.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	428.2 KB
ID:	2050477   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1765-50pct.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	433.3 KB
ID:	2050478  
Old 11-27-2014, 03:43 PM
Gearbreaker

Love the translucent covering on your Falcon. That plane is from the days when real craftsmen built them. I can really appreciate the work that you have put into it. If it were me, I'd put LED's inside the end compartments of the wings for the cool factor. It may seem weird but I own a company that designs and manufactures LED light fixtures for the hotel industry so I"m partial to LED's. (: I have been away from the R/C hobby for about 15-20 years and I"m shocked at the advancements in technology. As much as I am jaded and don't believe in electrics I just ordered a RTF to get my feet wet again. I also needed a new radio so I ordered a DX8 to get me going with the UFO. Just have to figure out what power plant is best for the UFO. I see you are in VA, do you have any warm weather left to take the newly rebuilt Falcon for a flight? Attached is a picture of the only car that I have left. I just bought a brand new body for it from someone in Germany so it's almost ready to roll. 80 MPH car! Unfortunately I gave away my three helis over the years. Chris.

Name:	F1 car.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	317.6 KB
ID:	2050602  
Old 11-28-2014, 11:13 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That appears to be a fiberglass Dirty Birdi. in which you could mount the engine in whatever position you wanted. It wasn't uncommon to mount the engine up-right and run the tuned pipe through the canopy.

The UFO spec were: Wing Span: 65.25 inches, Wing Area: 692 sq inches, Fuselage Length: 59.75 inches with anhedral in the Horizontal stab.

The Dirty Birdi specs are: Wing Span: 64.25 inches, Wing Area: 688 sq inches with NO anhedral stab.

Frank
Old 11-29-2014, 05:42 AM
Gearbreaker

Originally Posted by countilaw
That appears to be a fiberglass Dirty Birdi. in which you could mount the engine in whatever position you wanted. It wasn't uncommon to mount the engine up-right and run the tuned pipe through the canopy.

The UFO spec were: Wing Span: 65.25 inches, Wing Area: 692 sq inches, Fuselage Length: 59.75 inches with anhedral in the Horizontal stab.

The Dirty Birdi specs are: Wing Span: 64.25 inches, Wing Area: 688 sq inches with NO anhedral stab.

Frank
Frank, Thank you for the info. Can't argue with that. The stab tells all. Nice to know what I have here. Can't wait to get it in the air. It's going to be a long winters wait! Chris.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:09 PM
skylark-flier

Geez Chris, where are you - the North Pole? If the wind's less than 50 mph and the snow's less than 8' you can fly!!!!!!!!!!!! No, seriously (which I rarely ever have been), winter doesn't HAVE to be the end of flying. Y'just gotta be a bit tougher (LOL).
Old 11-29-2014, 06:42 PM
Gearbreaker

I'd have to agree I need to get tougher but there was a day when I had an RC snowmobile. That toy made the cold seem to disappear because it was so much fun. Ah, perhaps old age is setting in because my next purchase is going to be an electric starter. Was a day when the blood on my fingers didn't bother me either! (: When I was a kid I also had a Cox .049 plane that had skis. I remember flying that control line at 15 deg. F and loving it!! Ah, to be a kid again! Chris.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:46 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When we were kids the cold didn't affect us until the prop flew back and popped those cold fingers. WOW , that's smarts.

Frank
Old 12-01-2014, 08:11 AM
Gearbreaker

OUCH.... You just brought back that awful feeling of getting whacked by a prop with frozen fingers.... A dull excruciating pain! (sort of like reality shows). (: Chris.