Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

Great Planes Quick V 6

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 03:23 PM
turnnburn
My Feedback: (49)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Quick V 6

Wondering how these kits are as far as quality and strength etc etc ? The old Viper kits were just so so in my opinion. Hoping they have improved the over all quality and quality control.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:18 AM
delateurj

Great leap forward. I have seen three or four of these raced already. Great instructions and when it comes to engineering a racer, Jim Allen knows what he is doing.

Regards,
Joe.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:33 PM
turnnburn

At what level or class are they racing them at. Are they competitive in 428 against the very best, live against Jim Allen for instance ?
Old 10-13-2016, 09:00 AM
scattermaster

I bought 2. Built one up for 424. installed and EVO 46.
Most of the kit was pretty nice for an ARF however, the two front threaded holed for the wing bolts did not line up and I had to waller out the holes in the wing in order to make it work. They were at least an eighth inch off, maybe a little more.
I can say that the plane flies like it's on rails.
Starting a second one now for 426. I'll let you know. I haven't checked on the wing bolt situation yet.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:21 AM
delateurj

They are raced in both 426 (fastest Q500 class commonly flown in US currently, .40 Jett engine specific for the class, approximately 150mph) and 424 (slower class, evo .46 or TT .40, approximately 110 mph). 428 is not really flown much any more as 426 has mostly replaced it. Since Jim Allen won the Nats a couple of years ago with one in 426, it is clearly competitive.

- Joe.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:08 PM
turnnburn

I doubt he did it with an arf kit.

Last edited by turnnburn; 10-14-2016 at 05:21 AM.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:35 PM
delateurj

Originally Posted by turnnburn
I doubt he did it an arf kit.
Correct, it was not a production arf, it was the prototype but same foam core based construction.

I believe that was part of Jim's objective was to show that a foam core design had no disadvantage over the hollow molded Q500's at 426 speeds.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:37 AM
scratchpc7

I built one of them for 424 prior to the NATS this past year; there is nothing that needs to change to make it 426 ready other than bolt on a Jett 426 motor and add weight since the motor is lighter than the tt40. It took all of 10 hours from open box to test fly, and I am not the world's fastest builder. I had no issues with the build, straight forward, and Tim's work on the manual and assembly make it so easy. I had to add wingtip weight but that is pretty normal I think I set up at 2-15/16 for CG and it flew like on rails, plenty fast and it did take 1st and 6th in 424 at the NATS. I test flew mine on Friday, drove to the NATS on Saturday, raced on Sunday. I even had a mid-air with another Quik-v6 and I couldn't find a scratch on my plane and continued on. The other plane lost half the v-tail, lawn-darted, and looked like an easy repair to get it back up and going as well so they are pretty sturdy. All-in-all, a good plane, good build, and I easily recommend them.

FWIW, I had a plane from shipment #2 so I cannot comment on quality from shipment 1, 3 or after.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:25 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Turn and burn why do you say he didnt do it with an ARF? I have seen him flying this plane quite a few times and it is just as fast as the all composite ones out there.
Anyone interested at getting in to 3 pole racing I recommend it as I started two years ago and I love this type of racing. Those wanting to do quickie the V6 is a great kit and cheaper than a full composite kit.