Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

WATTAGE P-51 Reno Racer EP ARF is now shipping

The WATTAGE P-51 Reno Racer EP ARF is now shipping and mine arrived today.

The fuselage is relatively heavy at 78 grams (2.7 oz)

The wing at the thickest at the root is a little over 5/8". It is not a flat bottom wing ... can't tell what the airfoil is just by looking. It is a dense white foam over larger cell foam core. The larger cell foam stops 3" from the trailing edge at the root and 2.5" from the trailing edge at the tip. So there is an open cavity at the trailing edge which leaves some internal reinforcement options.

Those wing reinforcements you see in the pictures sticking out from the fuselage is a piece of sticky paper ... don't know if that's really enough if you put a Speed 400 motor in it ... I think the wing will need some alternate reinforcing, because it flexes quite a bit, especially at the tips. I believe the open cavity can be used to run a 1/8" hollow carbon rod to at least near the tip. It will require excavating some foam, but I was able to push a .070" CF rod to the tip on one panel and to 5" or so on the other panel. The tips are .375" thick and the rod location at the tip will be in the thickest part. A 15" 1/8" drill would make it a snap, but I think you can make a couple of teeth on the hollow CF rod and remove the foam. 24" of CF tube would only add about a 1/4 ounce, and with microballons, or better yet, microfibers in the epoxy, it would probably add less than 1/2 ounce, but would make the wing plenty strong.

The foam fin/rudder and stabilizer/elevator are probably ok for the motor/prop (380/5x2.5) that comes with it, but I will probably replace it with balsa covered with .5 or .75 oz cloth and epoxy.

The decals come in the red set you see in the pictures (#7) and a blue set (#4), but I will probably add color with the waterbourne NELSON Paints. I will be testing the foam for paint compatibility in the saddle area where the servo will go. I'm also going to test it with water based polyurethane, and I don't expect any problem with that, so I hopefully I can use .75 or even 2 ounce fiberglass cloth for saddle reinforcement with the WBPU.

Now that this plane is out, and Pythons are being built, and the F.F.X Fighters are getting out there, I'm working with some people on creating a set of rules for Warbird 400 Racing. Let me know if you want to be involved.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

has it flown yet?

Just wandering what you thought of you reno racer. I am trying to decide between the racer, gws zero or just building a s400 plane. I was building a global baby birdy for speed 400, but it is coming out too heavy, only gas will make it fly now.

Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I haven't assembled it yet. It will probably be after 7/20 before I put it together. If I put it together and fly it before then, I'll let you know.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I helped a guy out at the field with one of these the other day. It had zero right thrust and wanted to torque left off of every launch and at low speeds with motor on. The vertical doesn't work well until it gets up to speed. I reccommend about 3 degrees of right thrust. Other than that, it seemed to cruise around OK. His seemed heavy (could have been his radio gear) but didn't have any nasty habits other than wanting to turn left at low speeds.
    Can you feel that Buddy, HUH, HUH, HUH!!!??
    I Have EXORSIZED the electrons, this plane is clear.
    Revver Bro. #151