Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

Quickee 500 racing

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2002, 01:32 AM
Gomil1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quickee 500 racing

Is there an organization that lists the upcoming racing events.
I am 70 years old and my friend and Iwould like to start racing in 424, but we dont see many races scheduled in the AMA magazine in our part of the country. I live in Lady Lake Fl (Leesburg area)
Any information would be appreciated
Old 06-06-2002, 05:39 PM
Randy Smith

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The National Miniature Pylon Racing Association (NMPRA) is the organization you're looking for. They have a web site at nmpra.org and a link to events calendar.

I just went there and looked. Unfortunately, the contest for your area are not published. However, FL is in District 7 of the NMPRA and your district VP is Gary Freeman Sr. His email address is [email protected] Send him a note asking for the 424 contests in your area and I'm sure he will reply.

Good luck,

Randy Smith
Old 06-08-2002, 01:28 AM
PylonWorld
Banned

Randy,

Gary Sr. has been succeeded by Gary Jr. His email address is [email protected].

According to Gary "We are getting ready to schedule a lot of races we have a new club owned by a racer so he wants like a race a month. I will let you know."

So it sounds like there is a club in FL that is ramping up the racing. I'm not sure what part of the state it is in. If it's in the upper part, I'll be heading down there some.

My success in Charlotte NC has been limited by the leadership of the Charlotte Aeromodelers. I did get the pylons up for a while, but even though several people in the club have gotten F3D/30's ready to race, the leadership says "we have 105 members, and only a few want to race ... we can't schedule a closed field for just a few people". Gold Leadership club, my butt. I think you have to have club leadership that likes racing before you can build racing.

I'm going to buy the 10 acres behind my house for E Pylon, and/or find another place for a club.
Old 06-10-2002, 02:02 PM
Randy Smith

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Don,
You speak the truth. What you describe (re: Clubs and pylon) is the way it is here in Calgary. There are several clubs around the city (pop. about 850,000) but none of them are tolerant of pylon planes or pylon pilots. They are intimidated by the speed (mostly) and noise.

We have had to form our own club which is focused on pylon. Our club has 22 members and about half are primarily interested in pylon. The other half are guys who couldn't stand being in the other clubs around town. We are friendly to all and welcome all types of planes and pilots.

A caveate to joining our club is that you have to help out at a race. It seems to work but with such a small membership, $$$ are limited.

Randy Smith
Old 06-10-2002, 02:41 PM
PylonWorld
Banned

The only racing around here is the AT-6 .25 racing, and I haven't actually gotten to race yet. I had hoped to find a club in the area that could host AMA racing, but the fields are tight even for the AT-6's.

I've carried my pylons to a couple of clubs and set them up for demos. I can only carry one slimer and one wattnot though.

The pylons have been sitting on the driveway for a few months and the wife has strongly requested that they be put away. So I designed a cradle to put them in under the house.

I've figured out how to modify the cradle and put one in the back of the truck with the tailgate down. And I'm going to build a box that will take up the rest of space to hold 3-4 airplanes. It's going to be "Have pylons and planes, will travel".

I think I can practice on a new section of I-485 that will not be opening for a year or so, but over 5 miles are done and just waiting for some serious Nats practice. The only thing about flying on the asphalt will be destroyed engines in crashes, so I may have to set the course up in the median. If I don't make it to the Nats, I may be in jail for trespassing.
Old 06-10-2002, 06:25 PM
SSAN

"If I don't make it to the Nats, I may be in jail for trespassing".

Don,

Lol... Sound like me in the past. I was told to not fly there, but never did they put me in jail.

The officer's thought I was crazy.

Sam S.