Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

Club Pylon Racer

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2002, 04:02 AM
Davis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Club Pylon Racer

My RC club has pylon race events. The races are 100 laps. The airplane has to take off with a full tank of fuel, and refuel at least once, top of the tank. Engine size is limited to 40 size, such as .46 OS or TT, etc. I was thinking of trying a Lanier Predator ARF or a Kangke F3D/30 with the Thunder Tiger .46. Does anyone have any thoughts on a race airplane, kit or ARF?

By the end of the race most people have had a mid-air, run onto the poles, engine radio problems, etc. Most of the time the race winner is a trainer with a 16 oz fuel tank. But it sure is fun.
Old 06-10-2002, 04:27 AM
radiopro

Default Club Pylon Racer

That sounds pretty cool... Are you off course flying two pylon?
What club is putting on the race? I think a Predator would do just fine if you could shoe-horn a big enough tank in it. I could probably fit a couple of those round 6oz tank in mine.
RP
Old 06-10-2002, 05:08 AM
Davis

Default Club Pylon Racer

The course is two poles spaced about 100 yards apart. It is a flying start. Oddly a guy with a Magic, OS .46, has won the last few races. The plane has good speed. He refuels several times. The benefit of the Magic, it can land and refuel on a dime. Same for the take off. More info, the engine can’t be larger than 40 size, so anything smaller is OK. A WM Attack, OS .32, has done well, it had the speed, but the take off and landings are slow. These types of pylon races are popular because the fastest plane does not always win. It is a excellent club event. The races are held at Vaca Valley RC, Fairfield, CA and Woodland Davis Aeromodelers, Woodland CA.
Old 06-10-2002, 11:02 AM
splatt

Default a century race!

We have had these type of races in the past and there a blast! Over the years we've had a couple different set of rules. In the beginning the "tanker" was the way to go with a soap bottle strapped to the plane for unlimited flight time. But lately the team effort has been the way to go. 3 pilots to a team each having to fly at least once and having to tag the next pilot after landing before the next guy can go. If you crash you have to bring a piece of the plane back before you can tag or add a penalty to your total score. A real team effort. Those little F3D's are great fliers, but they really coast on landing. A plane that you can spot land near you can help in these contests. good luck! Too bad you can't fly a 3 pole course, it's the only way to go.
Old 06-10-2002, 06:09 PM
Davis

Default Club Pylon Racer

I have never seen a real pylon race, so the 3-pole idea is an excellent thought. I assume a triangle course is the layout. We have the room. I have noticed that some of the racers get disorientated during the race and crash. Does the 3-pole course help this? What type of soap bottle for the fuel? I have tried the dual fuel tank approach with some success but there always seem to be some fuel draw problem. thanks for your input.
Old 06-10-2002, 07:13 PM
PylonWorld
Banned

Default Club Pylon Racer

3 pole racing is easier in terms of orientation, as long as you don't get dizzy. 20-25 laps down hard on the course is about all I can do right now. Then I have to pull up an fly either a bigger pattern or in front of myself with no ground reference. I used to fly control line speed, but it's been a long time, and I just can't spin around indefinitely anymore.

The RC Pylon Racing Rules have the course layout. Check them out and see if you have enought room. Usually most fields' runways cannot be used for takeoff. There are some relatively low cost options for takeoff pads though.
Old 06-10-2002, 07:21 PM
splatt

Default Club Pylon Racer

The 3 pole course is 450 x 150 or 600x150 feet for the fast planes. You set up turn 1 upwind and have a launch area 150 feet forward of the other 2 pylons. Then you stand between the 2 near pylons about 30 feet forward and fly circles around yourself. You need to have hard hats or bicycle helmets to meet AMA rules. The AMA web site has the official rules for a course layout and you can get a idea of how it goes. You need to be 300 feet away from others when you do this, but please check with the AMA site for the latest and greatest info for a course layout.

As for the tanker setup I believe the gentleman used a ivory liquid soap bottle and set it up with a klunk and the usual set up for a tank and rubber binded it to the fuse at the center of gravity. Just the one tank. The ivory bottle is slightly stream lined so point the little end forward. This was with a quickie racer so there's no space inside.

If you get a preditor make sure that you get the newer production one. The box it comes in is no different from the older one. The older one takes a fair amount of work to fly safely. The old one has a poor firewall and the alirons are a little small.

If you get a F3D and want to put a big motor in it than get the electric version, it does not have the mount preinstalled. The gas version has a 30 sized beam mount glued in. Maybe try a hot 36 or a jett 30. The gentleman who runs pylon world may be able to help you get connected with the stuff. I loved the way mine flew. Make sure you don't have too much aliron throw