Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

Club 20 pylonracing in Belgium

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 02:41 PM
Paulus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Club 20 pylonracing in Belgium

Here are some pictures of the club 20 pylonrace in Belgium that was held this weekend! Great fun!!

Paul
Old 09-20-2004, 06:56 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Club 20 pylonracing in Belgium

Yeah... great fun, wasn't it?

And we got damned lucky with the weather too! You should see what it is like over here today, just one day later...

Kevin may disagree on the "great fun" part though... [X(] Losing two planes like that...

Paulus, did you get some good video, and are you going to put it up on your site?
Old 09-20-2004, 07:31 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Great Pictures, looks like "most" everyone was having a good time. Those pictures look like they could have been taking at many of the fields I race at in the States.

I see I'm not the only one who likes Green Planes
Old 09-20-2004, 08:09 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Corn looks great too, and the grass is a nice shade of green. Plenty of rain?

What are the general rules, engine mods, and airspeeds? What do YOUR callers yell at their pilots?
Old 09-21-2004, 02:34 AM
Paulus

Rudeboy,

I have a flight of Wim Lentjes on my computer. Looks pretty good. I'll have to compress it though. My flying buddy has quite a lot of video I think. Including one of the midairs of Kevin..[X(]

Daven,

That green plane does indeed look great. Thank god I didn't end up in the corn though..

HighPlains,

The most popular engine is the Irvine 20 ABC pylon. Other engines used are nova rossi's and OPS. No rear exhaust and a minimum venturi and outlet diameter. Speeds are around 130-140 Mph. Planes have a typical span of about 40-50 inch.

We yell OM!! (translates to TURN!!) or JA (YES) to the pilots...

Paul
Old 09-21-2004, 06:06 AM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Club 20 racing rules:

Engine: maximum 3.5 cubic centimetrs displacement, standard unmodified front intake - side exhaust, venturi diameter maximum 4.5 millimeters. The Irvines rule, but are no longer in production... they are getting pricey these days.

Prop: only a stock unmodified, commercially available, fixed pitch, reinforced nylon propeller is allowed. Most use an APC 7x6 or APC 7x6W is the engine can handle it.

Fuselage: minimal 70mm wide, 127mm high. These dimensions have to occur within the wing root chord, but do not have to be at the same place. The "cockpit" has to be minimum 32mm wide at a point 38mm below the highest point.

Wing: minimum area 0.194 square meters, min thickness measured directly besides the root fairing is 22mm, with a straight taper to a minimum of 16mm measure 50mm from the tip. Minimum wing span is 762mm.

Spinner: min 38mm diameter.

Weight: min 1134 grams less fuel.

Fuel: suplied by the race officials, 20% ricinus - 5% nitro

Exhaust: most use the Irvine magic muffler. Max exhaust diameter 6mm.

Fuel supply: you have to be able to stop the engine when the race officials ask you to do so. We use tanks without clunks, with a pickup at the bottom... negative "G" maneuvers are use to stop the engine.

Race Course: base pylons 36 meters apart, main pylon 150 meters from the base pylons (this is a shorter course than Qiuckie for instance).