Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

QM15

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 12:58 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QM15

At our club meeting last night one of the members brought in an old box with a Jimmy Gager "Estralita" QM15 kit last night. The fiberglass fuse looks very good, and it looks like all the parts are there, even the full size plans, and a very nice looking Cox Conquest .15 with a silly looking little muffler (not the straight pipe that came with my other one).

I bought the works from him for $75. Not sure if I will ever put it together, but its nice to have a little QM pylon history.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10899.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	201704  
Old 12-11-2004, 12:59 PM
daven

Default RE: QM15

One question, I don't see any landing gear. Do you just mount wire gear into the spar? I should probably just look at the instructions and/or plans

Oh well, it will have to wait, its not windy and in the upper 30's with no wind. Time to fly Stubby
Old 12-12-2004, 09:18 AM
SSGSPEEDMAN

Hey I have a Question?

How would you fiber glass the wing?
Or are just going to put strip of CF
on the wing?
Is that foam wing or Balsa?

kevin
Old 12-12-2004, 09:36 AM
daven

The wing is foam and you need to sheet it with light weight balsa. I am assuming I need to put a spar of some sort in the wing (I haven't checked the plans yet). Once the wing is complete, it will need to be glassed and painted, or I may go the easy route and use Ultracoat.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:21 PM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave,

GAWD I am jealous. That was one of the finest QM15s ever. I still have the custom front end pieces that Jim Gager's buddy Allen Booth made to extend the Rossi .15 crankshaft so the spinner and cowl would fit more easily. I don't know if it would fit the Cox. The stock Cox engine (steel sleeve, iron piston) was a disappointment for racing but should be fine for sport flying with an APC 7 x 4 or 7 x 5 propeller. It takes a long, patient, conventional break-in -- or if you're feeling lucky, lap the piston into the sleeve.

The landing gear for it is either the Terry Prather small aluminum gear or the swept-forward version that Dennis Bielick (High Point Products) made for that and the Prather Little Toni. If you're flying on grass, that's what you need. Or (what I'd do) retro-fit some Miss Candace struts with QM40 wheels and pants. Mound the pads just outside the center section and bend the struts outward 15-20 degrees -- that's actually closer to scale than Gager's design and also more functional.

The wing doesn't need a spar, just good quality light 1/16" balsa skin on top and bottom, plus a couple of layers of 3/4" glass at the center. For finish, Ultracote would be fine.

We ought to be flying those with up-to-date electric power and mini radio systems. Now that would be a fine event.

Duane Gall
RCPRO
Old 12-13-2004, 12:47 PM
daven

Thanks for the info Duane. The plans did mention the prather gear, I wonder if they are still available.

I'm hoping to pick up a Nelson .15 from a local to use, I am sure their are drawers full with them around our area.

I have an extra set of Dago gear, I may consider using them, thats a great idea.