Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

Need Club Racing ideas...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 11:11 PM
Duane-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Club Racing ideas...

Club racing is getting hard to come by around here. We tried B&H Hobbies Rookies, only a few bothered. It seems most want ARFs. Vipers/Predators too fast for most. So, we are thinking about HORs (hell on rails) but they are really SPAD Combat planes, more people are behind us on these. I don't really want those, so we are open to any other suggestions. One option that seems to work other places, is the Sig Four Stars. But those are pretty pricey in the ARF version. We need something ARF, under $100.00. I guess there are plenty of .25 size planes (AT-6 ect...) Any suggestions? This pic is a Rookie...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15155.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	216786  
Old 01-17-2005, 11:38 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Need Club Racing ideas...

It's hard to find an ARF for much under $100. Vipers/Predators are not much over that. If they are too fast (????????) with a 40, you can either use a 10" prop of lower diameter or small engines. In Northern Califoria, they ran .25's for a few years. But it was usually more trouble, because unless the takeoff's were directly into the wind, people would stack them up. The 40's cured that problem. Another method of slowing them down is adding a drag plate between the engine and firewall. This also allows handicapping of the faster pilots. Usually what kills local racing is the perception that the same guys always win, so handicapping might help.

But with a TT40 and 9-6 APC they are only doing about 120 mph (about 180 feet/second).
Old 01-18-2005, 08:10 PM
Duane-RCU

I agree on the Vipers/Predators. But the big hang up is most interested are not pylon people. They want to start racing, and play a bit, but don't want to buy a plane that's only good for going fast. That's why I thought maybe a multi-purpose plane, like an Ugly-Stik would be more inviting. We are still going to race the Rookies, but our new field is not ready yet, we lost it last year. We are trying to get something started at another field too.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:45 PM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duane,

The Great Planes Shoestrings and Tonis are great raceable sport planes that aren't too fast and they're ARFs, but they're not cheap.

Reminds me of the poster that used to hang on the wall of the print shop where I worked ... it had a picture of a guy barking into a phone receiver: "You want it GOOD, FAST, and CHEAP? Pick TWO and call me back!"

The Other Duane
RCPRO
Old 01-19-2005, 02:06 PM
splatt

sometime back some club in the world used these... http://www.theworldmodels.com/para/p...?airplaneid=46

the Happy fly 20. It has a symmetrical wing. Comes in two colors, doesn't look too bad. Put a LA on it and Wa-laa cheap racing. These things are cheap in bulk, maybe 60- 70 bucks
Old 01-19-2005, 02:35 PM
Stikum

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

The World Models Super Stunts 40 would be good. They'll fly fine with a 40LA, better with a TT 40Pro. Tricycle gear. LHS sells them for $84.99. They're big enough for most pilots to see, and use a very common power plant. The included hardware is usuable, too.

I'd run 2 classes, one for any bushing 40 and one for 424-class motors. Lots of ARF trainer bushing 40s out there. Guys will get hooked and want to go faster, so they can upgrade for $75 to a TT 40 Pro. Then it's just a Viper/Predator airframe to 424....

The WM Super Sports would also be good, just more $.

Stikum
Bakersfield - Birthplace of Q500 Racing

Name:	Us53376.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	217551  
Old 01-19-2005, 03:00 PM
T34RACING

THIS IS THE WORLD MODELS T-34 TRIANGLE SERIES RULES( I HAVE A FULLSET THAT IS AVAILABLE. THIS IS ONLY THE CONDENSED COPY) ...THIS CLASS HAS BEEN GOING ON ITS 9TH SEASON NOW AND WE AVERAGE ABOUT 40 PILOTS PER RACE.

T-34 TRIANGLE SERIES
*2005-2007 RULES AND GUIDELINES

WORLD MODELS MFG.
T-34 MENTOR A.R.F.
RULES

T-34 Aircraft Limitations

AIRCRAFT SPECIFICATIONS

1) World Models Mfg. T-34 Mentor *57.5†A.R.F. KIT kit cost $130.00 approx.

2) This is an “Almost Ready To Fly “ kit. Modifications are illegal and will result in disqualification.

No kit modifications may be allowed to the structure of the aircraft such as but no limited to the use of foam wings, clipped wings, airfoil modifications, wing fairings, tail fairings, and incidence modifications. Lightning holes along fuselage side or bottom not allowed. Hidden Battery switch hatches are ok. Sheeting tail with plywood or balsa wood to strengthen tail is legal. Center sections of the wing may be fiber glassed to add structural strength. The aircraft must be assembled per instructional booklet supplied with kit. Landing gear in kit must remain as is to that of the stock kit. You may tape/monokote over landing gear wire. Aircraft may be re-covered in a different color scheme. Cowls may not be altered in outline but air ducts may be sealed. Dihedral of the wing must measure ¾†minimum. (This is measured by setting one half of the wing on a flat surface and measuring the other wing panel at the lowest part of the outside wing-tip rib. Variances are up to Contest Director to allow legalization. Cockpit detail or pilots not required. Canopies may be tinted, clear or opaque. Aircraft tape or sealant foam may be used in wing saddle and must have a constant thickness from leading edge of wing to trailing edge of wing without modifying incidence. All items such as cowl and canopy must be installed per kit instructions. Mounting methods such as tape or screws is optional.

Spinner type: Open manufacturer and size *(Plastic or Aluminum, brass spinner nuts allowed also). No flywheel spinners.

Wheel Size: Wheels supplied in kit. Replacement wheels must be of equal size (width and diameter) as stock wheels. No racing wheels will be allowed. No landing gear fairings or such items may be mounted/taped to the wire that is exposed. *Wheel size is approx. 2â€

Radio installation: See section on Radio Installation below. Limitations occur.

Gas Tank: Open size and manufacturer. No bladder tanks or pressurized systems. Check valves not allowed. Remote Needle Valves not allowed. Pressurized fuel system: Any system, other than a simple, continuously open conduit between the fuel tank and a muffler or pipe, by which fuel is delivered to the carburetor or venturi at greater than ambient atmospheric pressure. A fuel tank containing a flexible bladder that prevents bubbling or foaming of the fuel but does not generate pressure is not a pressurized fuel system.

*No fueling devices or canisters allowed in the pits or flight line during the event. Optional per CD during the event.

Other: Any wood, carbon or Composite prop that is two bladed will only be allowed if commercially available for under $10. No single bladed propellers. *Props can be modified in shape and balance but must have two equal blades.

Weight: Aircraft must weigh a minimum of 5lbs. (dry)

3) The engines for the T-34 Mentor Class is the *O.S. .46 AX . No other engine manufacturer or late model O.S. engine will be allowed. A STOCK O.S. muffler supplied with the engine is the only muffler legal.

The 2005 season only will allow the .46 FX versions to compete in the series. After the 2005 season, all aircraft must use the AX version. There are no combining parts from the AX version to the FX version or vice-versa

Engine must remain stock with no modifications. Motors are randomly checked by Contest Director or appointed individuals. One stock head shim /gasket only is required. Mufflers may be modified only by removing the baffle or drilling the exhaust exit (muffler exhaust extension must remain in contact or disqualification will occur). Mufflers may be wire mounted to engine to eliminate loss of mufflers. No muffler deflectors or extensions allowed. Engines may only be mounted upright. Engines may not be mounted sideways or inverted. Any violation /modifications that are illegal will result in disqualification from the event and also for one year from all racing events. No servo operated or electronic fuel mixtures allowed. No check valves allowed. No crankcase or other pressure substituted ways permitted.
Note: The O.S. 46 AX will have a slight advantage over the FX for power.

Note: It is recommended that an all-thread rod of 4-40 or 6-32 be substituted for the standard bolt that goes through the muffler. Double nut with a lock nut at each end of the rod with lock-tite helps prevent loss of rear half of muffler. This is only a recommendation

4) Any Synthetic and/or Castor oil fuel will be allowed with a maximum of 15% Nitro. *Individual races may supply fuel if advertised prior to the race and racers may only use the fuel supplied with out additives.

5) Radio hook-up is open with the exception: No micro servos are allowed. Standard size servos only. If dual servos are to be used in the wing, standard size servos must be used. Minimum of a 500-mah-battery pack is required. Radio hardware such as pushrods and linkages may be replaced. *Slip type linkages with setscrew such as supplied in kit may not be used on Ailerons or Elevator. Z-bend or solder linkages are the best suitable application for major control surfaces. All control linkages must have keepers.

All pilots must obey all guidelines and rules of the radio frequency impound. All pilots are to have a frequency pen on their radio or shirtsleeve before turning radio on.

6) All aircraft will be safety checked and checked for compliance with the rules. The Contest Director has all rights to challenge an entrant’s aircraft in question to legality at no expense. If a contestant wishes to challenge another entrant, there will be a $20 protest fee. A pilot deemed illegal would result in disqualification. Major violation will result in termination from all races for one year.

7) Un-sportsman like conduct will result in disqualification for the individual race or the entire racing season at the discretion of the Contest Director
Old 01-19-2005, 03:27 PM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting, World models make what they call the AirCombat series which are the same exact ARF with 4 different color schemes. They call them Zero, Yak, Spitfire, and Thunderbolt P-47. They all look like a smaller low wing quickie with a cowl, advertised as a .25 sized airplane. Sheldons sells them for $80 bucks.

World's site:

http://www.theworldmodels.com/para/p...ls.php?catid=2

Agree to the same engine and you have an event. BTW, the TT36 PRO only weighs 11.4 oz. and should run great on a 9-5 or 9-6

$80 ARF, 437 sq in wing, 47.5" wingspan, 3.1 lbs.

Instruction manaul:

http://www.theworldmodels.com/para/i...menu.php?id=20

Looks pretty complete for $80, with a symetrical wing.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:06 PM
Mike Gauser
My Feedback: (2)

Hello,
Another good, simple and fun plane to fly not that far off a Q-500 is the Tower Hobbies Uproar 40 ARF . They are $89 but will give real good club discounts on orders of 10 or more

Mike

Name:	Mj24753.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	217649  
Old 01-19-2005, 09:41 PM
Duane-RCU

WOW! Now we are getting somewhere...I like the Happy Fly idea, the Super Stunts too. I think we could get something going with some of these ideas. We also tried a "Run What Ya Brung" last year for a few months, and want to do something like that, along with a more beginner friendly type racing. There are so many good ideas here, I posted this link to the club so they can read it. Thanks for all the help!
Old 01-19-2005, 10:44 PM
CrashBevil

Speed really isn't a problem at either of the 2 clubs mentioned by Duane.

In both cases, speed seems to be what is scaring potential pilots away. They like the !QUOT!turn left!QUOT! part, but the !QUOT!go fast!QUOT! is a deal breaker for some reason.

Thanks for all the input so far. Great ideas worth kicking around a bit
Old 03-23-2005, 07:19 PM
Kansas Twister

ORIGINAL: Duane-RCU

Club racing is getting hard to come by around here. We tried B&H Hobbies Rookies, only a few bothered. It seems most want ARFs. Vipers/Predators too fast for most. So, we are thinking about HORs (hell on rails) but they are really SPAD Combat planes, more people are behind us on these. I don't really want those, so we are open to any other suggestions. One option that seems to work other places, is the Sig Four Stars. But those are pretty pricey in the ARF version. We need something ARF, under $100.00. I guess there are plenty of .25 size planes (AT-6 ect...) Any suggestions? This pic is a Rookie...
See my new thread regarding Wichita Club Racing...