Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

World Models ARF Pylon Racer

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 11:42 PM
ben beyer
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default World Models ARF Pylon Racer

I was out at another flying field this past weekend and a guy had a pylon racer for a 40 size engine that was an ARF, built by the world models, cheap (around $60 or $70) and kind of looked like a mustang. Does anyone know what it is called and where I can get one?
Old 09-07-2005, 06:57 AM
Ed Smith

Default RE: World Models ARF Pylon Racer

Was it legal for any specific class of racing?

Ed S
Old 09-07-2005, 09:31 AM
ben beyer
My Feedback: (23)

i think it was leagal for 424 and maybe the class above that.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:33 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

If it looked like a mustang, I doubt it would be legal for Quickee 500 type racing. I checked the Airborne RC wite (World Models) and the only thing I could find that vaguely resembled what your talking about would be their Aircombat 25 series of planes. They have a few warbirds and are in the $70-$80 range.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:40 AM
Ken Erickson

They have a new plane, called "LA Racer". Priced at $99.99. It looks cute, probably designed for an OS .40 LA, the lightest, weakest, most inexpensive .40 one can buy.

A group of us are more interested in the SkyRaider Mark II, with an LA and 2.5 oz of hub and nut, it's an entry level club racer. Remove the LA and stick on an AX or TT Pro to get mucho performance. Only costs $69.99. But then maybe that should have been kept as our secret. Too late.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:32 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In Denver, CO (Airpark Elite RC Pylon Racing Club), we are racing the Skyraider Mach II's as a club event in addition to 424 and 428. Read about it in Model Aviation due out in mid-Feb. 2006.

Kurt Bozarth
Old 01-14-2006, 07:01 PM
smokingwreckage

If you're running .40 bushing engines, another excellent club racer is the Sonic Low Wing from Phoenix Models. It's actually advertised as a .25-.32 size sport plane, which in a BB ABC configuration have more thrust than the .40 bushing engines. I bought one for my first low wing and it balanced perfectly with a .40FP. Flies great, and seems to be as fast with the .40FP as my Skyraider Mk II is with a .46FX. The Sonic has a couple inches less wingspan and an inch or 2 less chord, maybe 70-80 inches less wing area, but it probably weighs 16-20 ounces less RTF.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:04 PM
T34RACING
My Feedback: (1)

Fresno club in Californin is racing the World Models Skyraider Mach II's also with O.S. 40LA. They get about a dozen club members to have a couple hours of fun.

Old 01-15-2006, 02:58 PM
smokingwreckage

I don't think the speed is the fun part of pylon racing. It's the competition that's exciting. My after-school kids race PicoStiks around the volleyball poles, 4 planes at a time. It seems the 12-16 kids waiting their turns get more excited than the pilots. Of course, little Emily always beats the big kids because she gets and extra cell. [sm=lol.gif]

I don't mind getting beaten by someone who is better, but I detest getting beaten by someone who wins by throwing insane amounts of money into a friendly game, then thinks he is better. Club plane racing rocks. Spending $3500 to have a master builder hand build and rig a couple planes for an expert pilot's shot at a national competition is okay, but for an average pilot for an occasional club race is rediculous.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:39 PM
JAkridge

Hi Guys, Dave is rite, If it's by World Model its a Aircombat 25. We use them at 2 different clubs here in Southern California. They make 4 models and there all the same airframe, just covered different, P-47 (Blue), Zero (Green) Yak (Green), Spitfire (Camo-Green). The clubs here use all stock OS 40 LA's, props and fuel supplyed, 3.3 lbs min.
These things are very cheap, and just a blast to fly when you get 10-15 guys. normally 4-5 per heat.
I started last year and flat love it. I like it so much I'm looking at other types of pylon raceing in my area. The biggest thing is that they are inexpensive and with the same equipment the competition is awesome.

Pics... 1st to 3rd left to right......I got lucky and pulled off a 3rd with the new P-47, and one of the gang.
Great Fourm here guys. not alot on the planes we fly, but it all fits somewhere...

smokingwreakage: So true, on the big money racing, Hey if it's that way and you want to race in that kind of class so be it, but I don't think you can beat small club racing for fun. Keep it simple. You can't believe these guys here, they all bring big wood to play with later on in the day... but in the morning, You would think these little 60 dollar planes were racing for a million bucks
Old 02-28-2006, 03:46 PM
Nitro Dew
My Feedback: (2)

Ben,

If it's by WM and it looks like the mustang, it is probably their Midget Mustangs and they are on the Airborne site. I don't anything about pylon racing, I've been flying less than a year, but I can say, I have a Mach II with an AX 46 and it hauls. I also have a LA Racer in a box, very, very nice looking, it's basically a MachII with cleaner lines.

Nitro Dew