Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

Scat Cat engine replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 08:47 PM
rideon67
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scat Cat engine replacement?

The Scat Cat (with rudder) has been a GREAT fun flyer with an old Magnum Pro 36. It carves hi-G corners with no stall, snaps (outside and inside) and spins good, inverted and knife edge good, and will loop at high speed unbelievable and floats to walking speed without stall. Unfortunately, the engine has been run to death so now I'm looking for a good replacement.

The fuel useage and weight of the 36 (12 oz) vs a 40 or 46 (16 oz) are what my primary concerns are. Will the extra 4 ounces up front plus the added weight in rear to compensate for CG make the beautiful cornering sloppy? The Magnum is against the firewall and radio stuff is in the rear now so moving stuff around is not possible.

The OS 32 looks like a decent replacement at first glance, but having no experience with this plane or engine I'm seeking advise. The vert performance with the Magnum is OK, but I wouldn't want to give any up. Will the OS 32 haul it with the same authority?

Thanks
Old 12-27-2005, 10:07 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Scat Cat engine replacement?

Can you get a replacement piston and liner for the Magnum?
Old 12-27-2005, 10:26 PM
rideon67

Replacement parts are avail. from Hobby People and Global. However, the cost of bearings, piston/liner is as much as a new engine. If spending that much I'd rather look at upgrading the performance -- either weight wise or pulling power for funfly.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:10 AM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

You know, a neat little motor that I'd like to get my hands on is the Irvine .39. It's a .40 in a .25 sized case. From what I've been told, it's quite the motor.

Years ago I flew a Hobbico Viper--the low winger, not the new ARF--with an OS .32 FSR as a sport plane. I had three of the OSs and I loved them. In my opinion, the .32 was the best motor OS ever produced and that is saying something (I really liked the FSR .60 and SF .46 too). I don't know anything about the new .32. Once the SF series was discontinued, OS products went downhill fast.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:09 AM
SmokinJoe

Two of our racers have OS32SX engines fitted to Quarter Midget models. From what I've seen, the 32 is as good as the TT36PRO.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:22 PM
grubs4flyn

I have a K&B 40 ring engine on a Scat Cat I use to race Quickie 500 with. This engine is quite a bit lighter than most 40s. It may be a solution worth looking at. I plan to take it this weekend along with the plane to a swap meet here. Just an FYI.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:52 PM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Scat Cat was designed around that engine (K & B .40), which is why the nose is as long as it is. The engine is very light.

I've heard good things about the Thunder Tiger Pro .36, which is also a very light engine, and based on my experience with the Thunder Tiger Pro .40 I would certainly give it a shot.

Just another .02 ...

Duane Gall
RCPRO
Old 01-24-2006, 08:28 PM
rideon67

K&B -- never crossed my mind. Good tip. Been a lot of years since the 61 K&B on that Contender gave up the ghost. I didn't know they still built engines.

After a lot of searching I almost bought a Webra 36 for this plane. TT 36 also looked good, but I love that Webra 50. However, I was a little concerned over the apparent lack of popularity of the Webra 36 and then a fellow flier pointed me to Tower car engine bearings and I was able to replace the Magnum bearings for cheep. Have not run the engine yet with the new bearings, but have no reason to think they won't work OK.

I would still like to try the Irving, Webra 36, TT 36, but budget says otherwise.

Thanks for the inputs.