Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > General Racing Discussion
Reload this Page >

We want to start racing at our club, how?

Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

We want to start racing at our club, how?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 03:55 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: We want to start racing at our club, how?

I raced quickie and Q40 at that "bad club" a number of times John, and I can't for the life of me remember which 4th pylon you were?
Old 02-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Super Splatter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will admit that too much of anything is a bad thing, but I did hear about the story in Seattle. Sounds pretty F'ed up

Old 02-07-2007, 06:38 PM
garys

Jeez....is this going to be another thread about the BS about the Sacramento club and their warbird racing? Please say no, otherwise I'll just do like a lot of others, and quit coming here, we've heard enough.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:20 PM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: John Casey

Pylon Racing is great ,
just don't let it get out of hand,
I belong to a club that let it get out of hand , now its all "they" do,
pylons up 24-7(in violation of club rules),
the rest of the membership stuck with constant race practice and it sucks

It destroyed a great club........so be very careful.
Sounds more like it CREATED a great club.

"Nobody goes to the ballpark any more; it's too crowded." -- Yogi Berra

Old 02-08-2007, 01:01 AM
Jimmy Skids
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Garys,
I sure hope not.

Jimmy Skids
Old 02-08-2007, 01:50 AM
Tommy_Gun

Funny how the club that was "destroyed" has a membership that numbers near a couple hundred and has multiple types of events each year including their Warbird Racing series and the once a month club racing with Global Me109's.

Funny that each time I go there to fly as a guest, that there are folks there smiling and happy,glad to see you and to shoot the breeze and just enjoy the hobby/sport.

And yes Jimmy I will be joining the SAM's this year in spite of how miserable the conditions are there.

God help us if that club is ever saved from this "destruction"
Old 02-08-2007, 01:48 PM
John Casey
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

racers following club rules= good club

racers not
following clubs rules=bad racers

its nice to see how "little" some
people respect
of the "rest of thier membership"

I love racing.......with good racers.

I wish the person posting this thread success in his desire to start racing,
properly managed it can be a "good thing".
Old 02-09-2007, 12:31 AM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Stay on topic please!

BV
RCU Pylon MOD
Old 02-09-2007, 10:05 AM
Tommy_Gun

Meant to put this in my last post,

Rockmanoff, Here is a link that may give you a few ideas.

http://www.sacramento-rc-flyers.org/...aw_racers.html
Old 03-10-2007, 12:17 AM
gdfrank

We want to start a small group doing friendly racing.
Our LHS keeps telling us we can't have a pylon race with out having approved cages for spotters. This is not going to happen. I can't beleve the people that are giving us a hard time about it. Mostly misinformed club members. What is the truth on What safety equipment do we have to have?
I really like that LA Racer with a .46 on it . And relaxed rules. I think I could over come the nay sayers with something like this.
PS we ran what we called a pylon FUN FLY at our club last year and it went over well.
JF
Old 03-10-2007, 06:59 PM
DonStegall

The truth is that all people are off course on a 2 pole pylon course. The pylons are out in front of you, and all course workers are behind a line parallel to the pylon course.

With 3 pole pylon racing, the only people on the course are the pilots and their callers, and the starter. All pylon judges, lap counters/timers have been moved off the course at least for the past 7 or more years.

The LA Racer 40 and the Sky Raider Mach II make great sport pylon planes. They have the same wing and stabilizer and the fuselages are effectively identical except for the rounded nose, turtle deck and canopy. We allow both planes in [link=http://www.rcpro.org/html/rules/club_40/club_40.htm]RCPRO Club 40 Racing[/link] because they have proven to be effectively identical in performance. Many actually prefer the Sky Raider Mach II. The rudder is slightly larger and they will even hover.

The engine size is an issue you have to decide how you want to deal with. On a 2 pole course, the distances required to the pylons dramatically increase for engines over .40 in size. For this reason it is best to stay with .40 engines. Some people shy away from them because the .46 is so predominant now. But if you want to set up an "AMA legal" course, stay with .40 or below.

Some groups use the OS .40 LA to keep the speed down. We call this the Silver, or Novice, class in RCPRO Club 40 Racing. I did not have any experience with the 40 LA until fairly recently. I flew an LA powered LA Racer at least 6-8 times today, and let some other people fly it. Takeoffs are more of a challenge with the LA in my opinion. With a Thunder Tiger Pro 40, which is the official engine of AMA 424 Sport Quickie and the recommended engine for RCPRO Club 40 Gold (Advanced) class, the plane gets off with much more authority and takeoffs are easier in my opinion. But the speeds are 25-30 mph faster as well.

The engine issue is a challenge. In fact, we are going to have a Club 40 "Outlaw" class at the races at my field. But we are flying on a 3 pole course, and the setbacks are not increased for engines over .40 ... But if you can show guys that the TT Pro 40 is the perfect match for the LA Racer 40 or Sky Raider Mach II, you can possibly start a good trend. The benefit of using the TT Pro 40 is that they can be reused in AMA 424 Sport Quickie when guys move up to that class of racing.

The Sky Raider Mach II is now available in solid white or solid yellow, and solid red and solid orange are on the way.

Hope that helps, and if it is not enough, I can get you more help.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:31 AM
DHG

ORIGINAL: gdfrank

Our LHS keeps telling us we can't have a pylon race with out having approved cages for spotters. This is not going to happen. I can't believe the people that are giving us a hard time about it. Mostly misinformed club members.
JF
JF,

I'm sure your LHS means well, but anyone who uses the word "cages" in reference to "pylon racing" is simply out of touch. The rules (the real rules, all of them, everything you need) are posted on the AMA web site at http://www.modelaircraft.org/comp/07...C%20Racing.pdf ... also, there's a wealth of information, including plans for building your own portable pylons from PVC pipe for a few bucks, at the site Don mentioned above. C'mon in, the water's fine!
Old 03-12-2007, 05:31 PM
gunfighter

The "cage" requirement is still in the regulations!

Section 4.2.4 - The cage requirement is only invoked if a waiver is requested for "Official" AMA class racing. We have been able to get waivers for club 40 racing (under 100 mph) without a cage, but you DO have to apply for it if you are not able to comply with the distances called out on page RCR-10 of these regs. (2 pole course)

If your course does not comply with the regulations, and you do not have a waiver on file, you may jepardize your insurance coverage through AMA should you have a serious accident!
Old 03-13-2007, 11:05 AM
DHG

Gunfighter,

Thanks, I stand corrected. I'd forgotten about using the cages as part of a waiver proposal.

Hmmm, now I wonder if cages might solve the problem of the greater setbacks required for 2-pole racing if you go over a .40 displacement. You'd have to apply for the waiver on an individual site basis, but the cage could become a more or less permanent part of the pit/clubhouse/picnic table layout. That is, you wouldn't have to build a portable cage and cart it out onto the runway like we used to. That was a pain!

Duane Gall
RCPRO
Old 03-16-2007, 02:15 AM
Mluvara
My Feedback: (10)

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

By the way, in the latest issue (May) of Fly R/C, my brother has written an article about club racing. I think it does a good job with the basics for starting club type racing.

Michael
Old 03-16-2007, 02:45 AM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fly RC? Isn't that rag about 97.8% electric power?