Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

Head Clearance Measuring Tools?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 03:51 AM
SSAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Clearance Measuring Tools?

Hi All,

I've been shopping around for a tool to measure head/depth clearance on our .40 size racing engines and would like your recommendation or advises on what's the best for around $250 or under. Also, it would be helpful if one can post a link to the product's recommended.

Thanks in advance!

Sam
Old 12-20-2002, 11:20 AM
Ed Smith

If you purchase a measuring tool designed specifically for measuring head clearance that is all it is goog for. Buy something more versatile.

You will need a 0"-1" depth micrometer for measuring stroke and squish band depth. You will also need a 0"-1" micrometer for measuring shim thicknesses. You should be able to get them both from Industrial suppliers or good tool stores for less than $250.

Ed S
Old 12-20-2002, 01:36 PM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tools

Sam, here's a link for you about head clearance tools the guys use and are chatting about,,,

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...27&forumid=111

BVV
Old 12-20-2002, 08:10 PM
SSAN

Thanks Ed!
But what brand or type's do you recommend for this purpose?

Bill,

I read that link before, but it doesn't have anything to do with the tools to look at. The only thing I see is what they're talked about in term of measuring and setting head clearance. What I realy want was a different brand of tools to use for our purpose so I can make a decision on which to buy. If you know of any links or brands, please let me know.

Thanks,
Sam
Old 12-20-2002, 10:15 PM
Ed Smith

I might be dating myself here. The traditional North American brands would be "Starret" or "Brown and Sharp". Of equal quality but made in Japan is "Mitutoyo"

It has been some years since I purchased these tools, they last for ever. I have only a Mitutoyo catalogue.

A suitable micrometer would be a Mitutoyo Cat# 202-101
A suitable depth micrometer would be " Cat# 129-147

There are other lesser brands around. You get what you pay for.

Ed S
Old 12-20-2002, 10:51 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Central Tools Company

Not the best, but more than adequate
http://www.tools-plus.com/cen.html
Have fun.

Go twice as fast, Twins are never last.

Bill.
Old 12-21-2002, 12:50 AM
Bill Vargas

Default Re: Head Clearance Measuring Tools?

Originally posted by SSAN
Hi All,

I've been shopping around for a tool to measure head/depth clearance on our .40 size racing engines and would like your recommendation or advises on what's the best for around $250 or under. Also, it would be helpful if one can post a link to the product's recommended.

Thanks in advance!

Sam
Ummm, your post said you wanted to measure head and depth clearance. So now I am not really sure what you are talking about???

The link I gave you has "other links on it to Darrols website just for measuring Depth and head spacing,,, using the tools that he sells

Here's the link,,,

http://www.darrolcady.com/Propellers...linertool.html

Darrol has the tools and Ed also explained too.

BV
Old 12-21-2002, 01:17 AM
SSAN

Bill R.

I wanted something a little more higher end, but thanks for your help. Thanks!

Bill V.

Sorry, if I didn't explain it in detail, but now, I found what I was looking for. Although, there's one in Darrol Cady web site, but I was looking for an alternative, like something in the higer end area like the one Ed Smith recommended.

Ed S.

Thank you, sir!
I really appreciated that and now will be looking into the Mitutoyo brand. I think this is what I was looking for in Quality Tools.

Here's a link to the Mitutoyo Tools for future reference...
http://www.mitutoyo.com/index.html

Thanks, Ed!

Sam
Old 12-21-2002, 02:00 AM
William Robison

SSAN:

I had no trouble figuring out what you wanted.

http://www.centraltools.com/

is a better place to see the Central line, if you wonder how to work something they also have their instruction sheets on line, but they don't sell direct. The first site does.

To do what you want get the Central #6009 0-1" outside micrometer, and the 6240 0-3" depth micrometer. The outside micrometer mentioned is far from the best on the market, but its accurracy is far beyond what you need, and dollar for dollar you can't beat it. The depth mike is the equal of any on the market.

Or, if you will take the time to learn its use you could get the #6421 vernier caliper and do it all with one tool.

This particular caliper is neither a dial nor LCD indicator, so while it is not as convenient to use as the others, since it uses a tangent screw for fine adjustment it is more accurate when you learn to use it. And Central's calipers are every bit as good as Brown & Sharpe, Starrett, or anything the Japs sell.

My precision tools include Brown & Sharpe, Starrett, Central, Mitutoyo, and others. My opinions are based on actual use of the tools.

But there is a "Quick and Dirty" way to measure head clearance nobody has mentioned. Oil the piston and head, put a small dab of your kid's modeling clay on the piston. Screw the head down and turn the crank through TDC, pull the head and measure the thickness of the clay dab. You're done, leave it all alone or change the shim, whatever you want.

Head tight or slack, fly a twin - I'll get off your back.

Bill.

PS: Central has a WATS line - locate your local dealer or whatever - (800) 866-5287. wr
Old 12-21-2002, 02:11 AM
William Robison

Sam:

I have an excellent set of M'toyo micrometers, 0-3", carbide faces, digital, read to a ten thousandth of an inch. You really don't need to spend that much.

If you were earning your bread as a machinist I'd say jump on it, but you aren't.

And the price difference will buy quite a few gallons of fuel.

Think about it.

Twins are slick, but Q40's quick.

Bill.
Old 12-21-2002, 03:20 AM
Bill Vargas

Default Tools

OK Gotcha Sam

Higher end tools??? try looking at MAC Tools or Snap On tools,,, those Big Mobile tool trucks will drive right up to your door if you want

BV
Old 12-21-2002, 03:36 AM
SSAN

Ok. I know what I want now ( Caliper that does inside, outside and depth measurement), but I got another question...

What's the difference or advantage between the digital and dial indicator?

And Bill Vargas.... You're so funny!
It's suppose to be under $250, remember?

Sam
Old 12-21-2002, 03:53 AM
SSAN

Originally posted by William Robison

But there is a "Quick and Dirty" way to measure head clearance nobody has mentioned. Oil the piston and head, put a small dab of your kid's modeling clay on the piston. Screw the head down and turn the crank through TDC, pull the head and measure the thickness of the clay dab. You're done, leave it all alone or change the shim, whatever you want.

Bill.

Bill R.

That's a great idea that I've never thought of. I guess I wouldn't be because I'm not a Race Car Builder like yourself.

The usual way we measure these little engines is STROKE=TDC-BDC.

But thanks for the tip!

Sam
Old 12-21-2002, 03:56 AM
William Robison

Sam:

A dial caliper has to be read both on the length of the caliper, to get the multiple of 0.050" (0.05. 0.1, 0.15 etc) and then add the dial reading to get your measurement. Accuracy to 0.0005" - you read between the lines. The digital is just that, if the whatever dimension is between 1.2725" and 1.2735" the caliper says 1.273." Accurate to +/- 0.001 because you cannot read between the lines. There may be some that read to a tenth, but I haven't heard of any.

So, of the two, the digital is easier, the dial is more accurate.

Where the biggest inaccuracy comes in is "Feel." Until you learn the "Feel" nothing will give you great accuracy, but it's easy to get with practice.

If you don't want to go with the straight vernier get the dial for its accuracy. But if you want to "Wow" the Jones family get the digital.

Digital, dial, or "Verniah," none is heavy enough for a hernia.

Bill.

PS: "We" measure the stroke on the big ones the same way. wr
Old 12-21-2002, 04:05 AM
SSAN

Gotcha. Thanks!

By the way, Bill... keep up the great sense of humor.

Thanks to all for your guys help.

Thanks,
Sam
Old 12-21-2002, 04:42 AM
DrewTelford

Sam,

For the money, here's the kit for you!!!

Drew

http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summ...id=00940320000

If it doesn't work for some reason, go to craftsman.com and search on micrometer, and you'll find lots of reasonable sets. The 13 pc machinists set has all three items you'll find handy. You can seek out individual items too, if you want to compare.

Quality isn't as high end as the precision stuff, but if you can keep them for 20 years as I have without dropping them, you'll never know the difference. And if you do drop one, well, it's $60 and not $200 a piece...
Old 12-21-2002, 04:47 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Speedworld

Sam are you going to the Speedworld race in the morning? I,ll be looking for you, got the wheel chair sleeve (sorry no fancy tools) all shimmed up with a fresh wheel lube.

John
Old 12-21-2002, 05:15 AM
William Robison

Drew and Sam:

When the Mac, Matco, and Snap-Off trucks come around they will usually sell you the products of Central Tool company, for a premium price. None of these companes make their own precision measuring tools, they are resellers.

Call Central's WATS line, shop the dealers they give you, buy them for the MSRP or a little less.

Go to sears and buy the same Central Tool company products. And they'll probably be less expensive from sears, too.

Go to sears, dealers, or trucks.
. Each step a higher price, and that sucks.

Bill.

PS: That sears set is almost exactly what I told you to get, adding the dial caliper. wr
Old 12-21-2002, 02:10 PM
SSAN

Default Re: Speedworld

Originally posted by JohnBuckner
Sam are you going to the Speedworld race in the morning? I,ll be looking for you, got the wheel chair sleeve (sorry no fancy tools) all shimmed up with a fresh wheel lube.

John
Hey John,

I'll be there at Speedworld this morning for the race! Wouldn't want to miss it for anything. As a matter of fact, it's 7:05am now (Mountain Time Zone) and I'm on my way out the door after this post.

Oh! By the way, John... do you need a synthetic oil loop for faster wheel spin? You might need it to keep up with me this morning. j/k!

See you at the race field!

Sam
Old 12-21-2002, 02:12 PM
SSAN

Drew and Bill R.

Thanks guys!
I will look into sear's this afternoon after the race.

Sam
Old 12-23-2002, 12:34 AM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

After working for over 20 years as a tool and die maker, I'd stay away from the calipers. They work great when you hold them perfectly square to the surface you are checking and take your reading while in that position. Not always an easy task when holding an engine or head in oyur other hand. A set of depth micrometers will provide a far more consistant and accurate measurement for a beginner using precision measuring tool. I haven't looked at the set at Sears but I think they would do a very good job.
Trying to split thousands on any dial or vernier calipers is really not giving a very good measurement because they just aren't that accurate. I have a very nice set of 0-12" digital calipers made by Mitutoyo that displays .0005 accuracy. I would use them to measure a deck height if I wanted to get closer than .002. It is rare to see a set of depth micrometers that are graduated less than .001. On depth mics I will guesstimate tenths knowing that it is only a guesstimate.
Always try to read your mics in the measuring postion. You wouldn't believe how often you can bump the spindle and change the reading when going from the measuring position to bringing them up to your face to read them. I don't recommend using locks either as you can move the spindle while engaging the the lock as well.
Most people I have trained in the shop don't believe me so I have to prove it to them. If you want accurate measurements your won't be sorry my way.
I am a hack in many respects, mostly flying, but when it comes to my work I am a perfectionist!
basmntdweller