Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > General Racing Discussion
Reload this Page >

My thoughts about re-vitalizing pylon racing

Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

My thoughts about re-vitalizing pylon racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 08:07 PM
dwbebens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My thoughts about re-vitalizing pylon racing

This is my contribution to the discussion of how to invigorate and revitalize pylon racing in the USA (North America).

A CALL TO ACTION TO THE RC PYLON COMMUNITY

First of all, I do not propose changing the existing pylon classes at all! I would suggest we leave them alone and consider them to be three further degrees of advancement beyond entry-level pylon racing. My implication here is that 424 is NOT what a novice would consider an entry-level event. There will be more on this later. Endless discussions about tweaking a lot of little rules within the existing pylon classes, or modifying or expanding existing classes, in my opinion will do very little toward reviving pylon racing in this country. I think that major changes are needed. I’d like to make a number of points first before I propose a solution to the problem.

RECENT OBSERVATIONS:

About a year ago I came back into RC and lately back into 424-pylon racing. After an absence of 20+ years, I’ve noticed a number of changes.

- Many RC flyers are resistant to any kind of competition.

- Many don’t know much, if anything, about pylon racing.

- There are very few races, and going to them involves a lot of travel.

- There aren’t many people pylon racing anymore.

- There seems to be no central scheduling clearinghouse for all the pylon races that are held. Sure, there are some special interest sites that show a few local or area races, or only a few types of races, but no national, all types of racing sites. It seems that there should be some organization out there that could do this. If not that, then a simple listing of up-coming races on a racing forum.

- Technological speed creep still exists (and I guess always will). It’s in the nature of racing to be this way.

CURRENT INTERNET DISCUSSIONS

I’ve been following a lot of the discussions that are on Internet forums concerning the sad state of pylon racing. So far the discussions seem to be:

1. By existing pylon racers. I think the existing pylon pilots are too close to the matter. Their opinions are often colored by their own self-interest within the classes they are already racing.

2. About what existing pylon racers would like to see or what they imagine would appeal to newcomers. If existing pylon racers already knew what is wrong we wouldn’t have a problem, would we! We obviously don’t know what’s wrong or how to fix it. Has anyone actually conducted a serious study of non-pylon racers and non-pylon race hosting clubs to see what would induce them to become involved?

3. About what would inconvenience the existing pylon community the least. If you are doing well in a particular pylon event, then you don’t want any changes. If you’re not doing very well, then you want changes to “level the playing fieldâ€. Those two forces have a tendency to cancel each other to some degree. Therefore, no really meaningful changes can occur.

4. About tweaking various rules within existing pylon racing classes. These small rule changes are at best incremental. Whether or not a certain propeller is allowed, or whether the weight should be 3-1/2 # or 3-3/4#, etc., etc., etc., are of absolutely no concern to the average potentially interested non-pylon flyer or his local club.

5. About creating new classes or modifications of existing classes of racing. Since we have so few races and so few pylon flyers around the country already in the existing classes (422, 424, 428), I’m thinking that these new or modified classes will probably dilute the existing class attendance. Some current pylon racers will opt to add a class and others will opt to switch or “trade up†or “trade down†so to speak. This still doesn’t address adding more races around the country or adding new people to the racing community. The Q40 sport pylon concepts that are being discussed do actually appeal to me. But, do you really think that will appeal to non-pylon RC pilots for a first time event? There will be more on this later.

6. By people who have a local specialized class which seems to be working for them for a while. I applaud people, who out of desperation for more local pylon racing, have, with a lot of local effort, devised a class of their own that works in their area. This takes a lot of work and cooperation. It would be nice if that kind of local grass-roots effort would spread. The problem is that yet again another class is introduced. Though, this does in fact bring new flyers into the pylon community. The thing I like about this is the “grass-roots†effort part. This is the only item of the six that actually improves the situation to any degree. There will be more on this later.

DON’T SCARE POTENTIAL RACERS

I’d now like to discuss my observations of the reactions of local RC pilots to seeing their first time pylon plane (even a 424 plane) down low and tight and wound up to full speed. In my experience it’s usually a mixture of surprise, shock, fear, alarm, and consternation. Also, they quite often shake their heads and say something like, “I’d never be able to do thatâ€, or “that looks dangerous†or “expensive†or “holly #@*%, that’s not for meâ€, or some other self-exclusionary topic-ending comment. They are not at all left with any aspirations to even try it. It just plain scares and intimidates a lot of people.

Very few first time observers of a good pylon plane down low, tight and fast view them with excitement, wonder, awe, thrill, desire, longing, (and even craving). That’s how I reacted the first time I saw a good pylon race. Not many people have that reaction.

I don’t think it is a good idea to take a fast, impressive pylon plane out to a local club to demonstrate pylon racing, with the intent of showing them what they’re missing. In my opinion, even a 424 plane is way too fast for true entry-level pylon for most prospective pylon flyers and their clubs. A 424 plane is way too fast for a lot of the pilots already flying 424 class now! Come on - - you know I’m right!

My point here is that most RC pilots and their clubs are just not interested in pylon racing as it is now raced (422, 424, 428). We have such a small pool of people in our sport to work with. A person considering getting into pylon racing must make a large leap into at least 424. That can be very intimidating for the average RC pilot.

THE ROOT OF THE PROBLEM AND A SOLUTION

My work background is engineering. I have designed various products, fixtures, devices, and manufacturing procedures for many years in former jobs. I’ve applied a concept that I call “the fatal flaw principleâ€. This principle is “the show-stopper or project killer problems must be solved first - - period!â€

In my opinion, the #1 problem in pylon racing is how to get and keep new people. These people then will probably become “feeder†pilots to the already established events.

What has been happening for quite a while is that the natural attrition within the ranks of the pylon community has exceeded the influx of new people. This may seem obvious but this is the “show-stopper†problem that must be solved first. So far, most of the discussions have centered on keeping current pylon people happy. This is good but will not re-vitalize and “grow†the sport.

How do we get and keep new people? In my opinion this has to be done at the local level. Pylon racing must appeal to the average competent RC flyer AND his local club. Some semblance of success must be (or appear to be) attainable, accessible, and even convenient. It must NOT be viewed as exotic, difficult, expensive, dangerous, scary, or alarming to either the prospective pilots or their local clubs.

So, finally this is my proposal, which has a number of parts:

1. INDIVIDUAL ACTION AT THE LOCAL LEVEL: I suggest that every current pylon flyer should lobby his local club to hold even one entry level pylon race per year. We must re-vitalize our sport ourselves with our own individual efforts. We as individuals must attend local club meetings and show them a fun, safe, easy, and profitable method of trying the sport we all enjoy so much. We can’t rely on some committee somewhere to “tweak†some rules for the existing racing classes and expect that to magically revitalize and “grow†our sport.

2. ADVERTIZE THESE EVENTS: Co-ordinate and advertise these and all other pylon dates on ONE website. So far as I can see, this isn’t done now.

3. MAKE IT EASIER FOR THE CLUB TO RUN THE RACE: Have a sharing or pooling of race equipment for various geographical areas within reasonable driving distance. The pylon racing community already knows where this equipment is now. The last person or club to use it is responsible for delivering it to the next club in the area. We need to agree to share equipment with clubs hosting their first few races. This sharing lightens the load on the hosting club. It is imperative to lighten the load (equipment, manpower, costs, etc.) on the hosting clubs.

4. KEEP IT EASY SAFE AND INSURED: The most important part of my plan is to basically re-instate the old AMA sport pylon rules for these entry-level races. Use sport (non-race) engines and non-boost mufflers. Use sport planes (no special built pylon planes including 422, 424, 428, Q40, Q15, F1, F5D, F3D, etc.). The planes are to ROG from idle-up and land with idle. Use the short 3 pole course or the two pole course - - which ever the local club itself chooses. Relate engine displacement to wing area*. Operate the race under AMA sanctioning, and of course comply with the AMA’s pylon safety guidelines. For a novice, this would be a very appealing format. He probably already has a plane that he could use and is used to flying. These should be open invitational races, not just club only races.

5. SIMPLE, NO-HASSEL RULES: I would suggest that this form of entry level pylon racing be governed by a minimum number of rules. Rely on the CD’s discretion as to what is allowed or not. The widest latitude should be given as to the small details. We should not be overly worried about “leveling the playing field†in this kind of racing event. What we are trying to do is to get flyers and clubs to even try pylon racing in the first place.

6. USE QUALIFIERS SO EVERYONE HAS FUN: One solution to the inevitably large differences in flying abilities and airplane capabilities would be to implement a qualifier and two-class race format (A and B) such is used in some 424 races. This format provides a number of important benefits. The two classes would each be racing within their own speed group for their own trophies. The speed differences would be minimized. People from the class not racing at the moment, could be course helpers, which lightens the load on the hosting club.

I think these ideas could go a long way toward inducing a lot of local clubs and their members to try pylon racing. The stress and load on the club would be minimized. This kind of race format would make it easy and affordable for the novices to try. The flyers would be racing their peers. And most importantly, the pylon community would expand and grow.

THIS SOLUTION HAS ALREADY WORKED ELSEWHERE

These ideas and concepts I’ve describe here are much more than just my own “thought experimentsâ€. I have actually had experience with this very format back when I was pylon racing a lot. At a couple local clubs, I organized a very similar racing format for three years. I was amazed at how many local non-racing flyers came out of the woodwork to fly sport pylon and how interested and excited the club got about pylon. We had up to six races a year for a number of years. Just from these two clubs as a result of this local grass-roots effort, not only did we have lot of local pylon fun, but we added about four new flyers who went on to race elsewhere in Q500, 1/2A and Q15 for a number of years there after. As a sidenote, I personally got a lot of extra “practice†at these races which helped me a lot in the Q15, F1, 1/2A and Q500 races that I raced elsewhere at the time.

A CALL TO ACTION: WHAT YOU, AS AN INDIVIDUAL, NEED TO DO NEXT

1. Organize at least one “Sport Pylon†race at your club or a nearby club.

2. Seek and meet with the officers of your local clubs in order to arrange to make your pylon racing proposal to the members at a club meeting. Stress the six points listed above. Explain, in general, how a race proceeds and it is run.

3. Assist this club in any way necessary (advice, phone calls, leg work, etc.)

4. Publicize this race on all pylon racing forums on the internet, to your local clubs, to your local hobby shops, and to all your racing buddies. Include sufficient details as to: Who, What, Why, Where, When, and How. Also, make the following statement on the advertisements: “If you are in doubt as to whether your plane/engine/muffler combination would be allowed, contact the CD well before the race for approvalâ€.

5. Arrange for a loan and delivery of equipment. Or if no equipment is available, revert to the bare minimums such as four stopwatches, five walkie-talkies, a hand written heat matrix on a large poster board, hand-written heat cards, clip boards, a large table, and pylons.

6. Make sure that the event is AMA sanctioned and that all safety concerns are met.

7. As the race date approaches, stay on top of the situation and make sure that everything is being done and on schedule. Bear-in-mind that the people within the local club may be quite capable of taking the concept and “running with itâ€, so to speak, requiring only a very slight oversight on your part.

8. After the race, follow through by assisting with clean-up, return of equipment, paper-work back to the AMA, etc.

9. Start working on the next local race!!!

I realize that a lot of these ideas individually are not new. I do think the whole package of ideas, if implemented, would rejuvenate pylon racing in this country. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Doug Bebensee

* To the best of my recollection, the AMA sport pylon engine size vs. wing area rule was something like this:

Engine size (cu. in.) .049 .09 .15 .19 .29 .40 .60

Wing Area (sq. in.) 200 250 300 350 400 500 700

Old 07-07-2006, 01:19 AM
redfox435cat

Default RE: My thoughts about re-vitalizing pylon racing

IMHO the problem with the lack of interst comes from a couple directions. Just my opinion

The generation gap, I was an outcast of my generation so somehow I slipped into it, not whole-heartedly but I can hold my own. People don't like my methods of improving equipment weather or not it works, like using ceramic bearings which some people have given me crap about on this site, even though I gain 400RPM and at a running temp 10 degrees C lower than steel. Also most of the AMA members are over 40 and usually shun guys my age at first sight. Come on, admit people you know you do. I does get old having to deal with old farts going through the, can you fly bit, regardless of the fact I'm an instructor at the home felid, I mean you just traveled 6 hours to an event your al hyped about it at the same time winded from the drive, you have a truck full of racers all are obviously not rookie gear, then this crap, and it's happened more than once. I have two friends that gave up the hobby entirely because of this. That was a crying shame since they were awesome flyers and devastating at just about every event we showed up at. I cherish being able to fly with them since it made me push myself harder making me a better pilot just trying to keep up.

Secondly the preconception by most novice pilots is that they aren't good enough. People don't want to fail and people think the models are too fast for them so they are. The reality is it's just the wiliness to relearn how to fly and push yourself to better ones own skills. The plane does have a throttle, at least the lower classes do
My first pylon racer I got just for me, not to compete, scared the crap out of me, but I got over it and learned how to keep up with it, eventually it wasn't fast enough, now it's to the point the only limiting factor is my budget as far as speed, like anything else it come from the willingness to try, and willingness to fail and the willingness to learn. The other problem I've found in the racing circuit, as least for me are racers don't converse as nicely as just sport flyers or even scale competition. I'm not saying anyone’s mean, not at all, just people focus on their own stuff and keep to themselves. This makes it hard for the new guy just testing the water and needs the help and doesn't get it, gets frustrated and gives up usually before the seasons over. If I have one thing to say to the new guy it's, your going to lose, get over it, learn from it and keep truckin away at it. Even in the entry-level slow quickie event the new guy just get walked on because they don't have the experience to set the model up right, in a slow race model set up is everything. The common mistake from the new guy is they just don't realize how technical this sport is

On subject I really don't know how to revitalise it. Our club just restarted the pylon events. We have a slow quicky set up for the 30th of this month and another race 3 weeks later. I'd be nice if we start doing 424, I really sucks having to drive elsewere to compete, though with our current feild situation we wouldn't be able to ever hold a sanction event.

Old 07-07-2006, 05:42 AM
luv to race
My Feedback: (1)

I just think people in general are more lazy these days. Rather than "going" racing, they think of all the excuses for why they can't go to the next race. I think if it's a "priority" in your r/c life, then that person will find a way to get there. Some folks would rather spend there weekend at home playing pylon racing on the internet.

We do hear some talk about 424 being a bit fast for the new guy. I don't fly 424... but doesn't that type of engine have a throttle? can't the pilot just fly 1/2 throttle for a awhile?

Good stuff Doug, well written...

Randy Bridge
Old 07-07-2006, 06:55 AM
Super Splatter

you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make'em drink

With the Internet, computer games, instant graftication is at your finger tips all while never leaving your cave.

My "screenagers" prove this to me all the time. I have to yank the cable sometimes to get there attention.

I've had a Predator hanging from the ceiling at the largest hobby shop around here with all the info it takes to get ahold of us who race and never had a single bite in 2 years.

I think what we got is what we got.

Like Mr. Bridge says if you wanna your gonna.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:11 AM
aseaholm

Doug,

Well thought out and detailed post. I've read your thoughts a couple times now and believe you're right on. Ulitmately it comes down to one or two spark plugs in a club/area to make it happen. Call for action is great, but without the soldiers in the trenches, it won't happen. Making it happen by scheduling, organizing, promoting, mentoring, and running the contests. Local contests have to be the feeder program to recruit and maintain participants.

In addition, I think as an individual, you have to target "suitable" candidates. Meaning, the success rate of recruiting non-competition oriented modelers is about 1% +/- 1%. Focus in on those will athletic, auto racing, RC competition, etc. backgrounds. Competitors is the key, if the burning desire to compete and get better isn't there, they'll jump ship the minute they realize a little dedication and work is involved.

Personally, I'm trying to recruit pilots burnt out on other forms of competitive RC. Let's be honest, competitive RC enthusiasts make up a VERY small fraction of the RC community. I for one am not above trying to expose that limited pool to pylon in an attempt to recruit them to the dark side.

I think I hooked one at the last race and plan to continue the search once he's up and running. Instilling this approach will spread slowly but I'm hoping it will yield longer term competitors. Too often with the shot gun club member approach you end with a number of 2 and BBQ participants. Fly twice and move on to the next latest and greatest club activity. This makes it difficult for clubs to sustain pylon events once club participation drops to a couple members.

Anyway, if each NMPRA member can recruit one pilot a year, and that one pilot can in turn recruit one, and so on. I think we can begin to build on a very stable and fun event, the pylon addiction. It sounds like a pyramid scheme but in my 20 years in and around competitive RC, it's the best approach I've come across...

PS - Since my re-entry into pylon I have NEVER encountered the type of attitude you describe redfox435cat. Everyone has been EXTREMELY helpful and sharing with their experiences. IMO, there is a terrific group of guys and gals flying RC pylon right now.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:21 PM
[email protected]

These replies- all in fact- are well thought out and the first seems to strike the nail on the head. We need good leaders that can take the real/ true issues and weave his way thru all the trivia and he will then become the pied piper of the pylon fraternity. Each club has these people but at times, justifiably they throw their arms in horror by others stupidity.

Of course there are usually side issues but many use those as reasons not to think beyond the square.........sort of 'not being able to see the wood for the trees'.

Pylon will always be fragile- look at other facets of the hobby- it is going thru a similar turnaround. Exposure of the hobby is our only saviour, but must be 'tuned' to the appropriate level. Growth will start from the bottom end and its that level that should be initially promoted. Yes, its good to demonstrate f3d models but they sure as hell scare people away- a good race of vipers/predators, etc will surely do the reverse. I have often said that we should be promoting ourselves at high level spectator areas- schools, rugby matches( tell I am a NZ'er) and other large scale venues.

Each club is different, has different circumstances, but I think a common denominator would appear if we really sat down and did some indepth thinking.

In my own circumstance/ club we have introduced electric pylon racing and we have now got new members ex glider pilots- ok the course is slightly different BUT people do want to race- currently we have 16 people in our little group just qwithin one club. We share the timekeerpers, etc and things will, I know go thru a learning curve, but we have captured some new people. we sure are happy
regards trevor henderson
Old 07-07-2006, 06:35 PM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi pylon racers..new to this forum..I hold 2, 1/2A funfly/pylon races each year here its fun stuff no AMA rules, just 3 heats of 5 laps, twice ...the only spec is it has to be a tanked reedy engine,,ie a cox blackwidow,golden bee..etc....not a huge turnout, but great fun for the dozen or so that do show.....I would like to get the club members more involved in racing but no one is interested in 1/2A..I have read about four star pylon racing and I think Stick pylon racing..not too expensive..the same plane and engine required for everyone..are you guys familiar with this type of event?.....Rog
Old 07-07-2006, 08:58 PM
DonStegall

ORIGINAL: luv to race

... Some folks would rather spend there weekend at home playing pylon racing on the internet. ...

Randy Bridge
Some people have unlimited budgets.

Some people have fathers that build them great airplanes.

Some people have people and/or sponsors that give them a lot of stuff.

Some people think that the only people that count on race day are the winners.

Some people have said that they probably won't race in 424 any more because the other inexperienced guys scare them.

Some people are out of touch with the reality of pylon racing. They think that because they can win contests they have the answers. Even though they may have failed in leadership capacities.

Some people don't have families that require that they juggle responsibilities .

On the other hand, some people work within their budget, skills, family commitments. time constraints, personal interests, and on and on.

Some people are tired of prima donnas making negative comments about the wonderful tool called the internet, and information exchange. It carries over to the races where some people make an effort to slam people who do care enough to share and interact via the internet, phone, emails, etc.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:41 PM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some people should get a grip!
Old 07-07-2006, 10:17 PM
DonStegall

I agree.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:52 AM
Ed Smith

And there are those that have never raced but have all of the answers. Supposedly.

Ed S
Old 07-08-2006, 09:24 AM
DonStegall

I believe that Doug's proposal has a lot of good points in it.

AMA 424 is a good starting point for formal entry level racing. However, I also see merit in trying to increase participation by using everyday sport planes.

I don't think you have to be an experienced racer to understand Doug's points, or to be able to comment on them. In fact, I think it would be best for some experienced people to read the comments carefully and understand what they can do for pylon racing.

Putting down use of the internet and the forums has no place in this thread or forum.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:09 AM
garys

Several good points have been raised, but I have to say that the local clubs running races under their own rules doesn't always work either.

A few years ago I worked at a hobby shop. One day a customer came in and we started talking. He mentioned that he used to pylon race, but quit because his club's officers changed and no longer had any more races. Since he was in northern San Diego, and I knew there was racing in the LA area which is only a couple hours away, I asked why he didn't go up there. He said it was because he would've had to get all new equipment because the club required different engines and airplanes than the Q500's up in LA. He said he'd probably still be racing if the club had used airplanes that would be legal in other areas. Although if he was complaining about having to buy equipment I don't know how many racing crashes he'd be willing to go through before calling it quits, and we all know racers crash.

While this is just one example, it does show that in some cases, racing would be better off if it were to stick to more standardized rules.

Old 07-08-2006, 12:05 PM
Ed Smith

While this is just one example, it does show that in some cases, racing would be better off if it were to stick to more standardized rules.
Absolutely!

Why is it so difficult to grasp the fact, that if one wishes to learn in any field of endeavour, one should talk to experienced people?

Ed S
Old 07-08-2006, 04:20 PM
BUDMAN27

They say if you build it they will come. Well we built it and yet they still do not come.So instead of making up some bull corn reason why. I,l be the first to say I have no clue. This racing is in such a mess I,m thinking of not coming to the next race myself.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:50 PM
DonStegall

ORIGINAL: BUDMAN27

This racing is in such a mess I,m thinking of not coming to the next race myself.
What is it that is bothering you? I'm asking from a very serious standpoint. I have my opinions, and I hear a lot of stuff from a lot of people. I would truly like to know what aspects of pylon racing are making you consider not participating. Don't hold any punches.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:17 PM
Vendata

I Also Agree With "Randy Bridge" He Has Hit The Nail 0n The Head!!
I Belong To A Club With Approximately 45/50 Members In It. A Big Fall, From When I First Started With 80/100 Members In It! Dosen't Seem To Be That Many Young Guys Interested In The Hobby Any More, The Age Group Is Approximately 30 Years 0ld & Upwards. From What I Have Seen Guys Could Be Flying Pylon So Easy, Because All They Do Is Go Round & Round, Until They Run 0ut Of Fuel 0r Just Get Bored Flying Around! Tryed To Get Some 0f Them 0ut To Fly Pylon Racing Several Times But Just Make Excuses! & Boy Do I Get Sick 0f Hearing Those I Get Enough 0f Those At Work. Aleast With Pylon There Is Some Think To Race For & The Fact 0f Racing Up Against 0ther Flyer's Make's It Real Fun & Exciting, & There Are Prizer's! So The Flyers Are Getting Alot of Fun 0ut 0f It, & Getting A Prize For Having That Fun!!
We Here In New Zealand Fly Pylon In A 0ffical Event. The Numbers Dont Seem To Get Any Bigger.
In Recent Years Pylon Has Been Run By 0ne Person That Seemed To Change The Rules, Each Time There Was A Race Meeting 0n. Some 0f The Numbers Had Droped 0ff As They Were Sick 0f Been Told 0f Different Rule Changers Every Time There Was A Race Meeting 0n So They Gave It Away!! Now Its Been Run As A Group Including All The Flyers As A Whole, Not Just 0ne Person!
We All Have A Say 0n How Pylon Is To Be Run! If You Haven't Got The Flyers All Agreeing 0n A Issue, There Will Not Be Any Pylon Racing. At The Monment We Are Running Three Classes 0f Events Which Are : Sportsman For The New Comer, Q500 For The Expericened, & Q40 For The Advanced Flyer! No F 3 D.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:11 PM
BUDMAN27

For me its a personnel thing. I have been down a lot of roads. I still love to compete, but would like to try some other form of racing. To make a long story short . I,m burned out on pylon racing and plan on doing some R/C boat racing. Just me and some friends of mine . Don,t want to get cot up in the having to join all sorts of org. Just want to have fun with friends. I put up with enough pressure at work. Thank you vary much.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:55 PM
Duane-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

I do think 424 is a little fast for entry level, that is a small part of the problem. I do have a 424 legal plane, and a ST.45 on one. I can fly them ok, but not compete yet, so even though there is a throttle on them, I sure won't want to throttle back in a race! We are flying a .40 Rookie, kind of a fat, overweight Q500 (lol) with bushing .40's, maybe 70-80mph (?) We don't have guys to worried about trying it since they are not that fast, we are just having trouble getting kits for the new guys. Me and Joe went to Witchita Falls last month, I chickened out on racing, Joe raced, and we had plenty of help/advice!!! All it took was word getting out this was our first outing, and we were treated great! We fly two pole at our field, so I'm going to have to work on the 3 pole stuff. We could hold a race, but 424 only would be safe for our lay-out. I have the "bug" really bad, just working on the skill, and it's tough when not much happens close. You can practice all day long, but race day is a big difference.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:06 AM
DMyer
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: BUDMAN27

For me its a personnel thing. I have been down a lot of roads. I still love to compete, but would like to try some other form of racing. To make a long story short . I,m burned out on pylon racing and plan on doing some R/C boat racing. Just me and some friends of mine . Don,t want to get cot up in the having to join all sorts of org. Just want to have fun with friends. I put up with enough pressure at work. Thank you vary much.

Out of statistical investigative curiosity since you are pondering other activities.....

a) - how many years have you actively raced
b) - how many races have you attended for 424, 428 - other
c) - how many years have you flown RC
d) - did you build or buy ARF racers
e) - about what level of proficiency did you achieve ie: what type of times/course/event

If you don't feel like providing answers... I understand. Thanks.

Dan
Old 07-12-2006, 12:35 AM
BUDMAN27

a- have raced four star 40s 5 years then we switch over to -500. I race Q-500s for 10 years. b-I lost count on how many 424 races I have attended , Q-40 I only raced A hand full of times say 10. and 428 I have never raced in. c- for 15 years .d- yes . e- this is an easy question , because I dam near always come in the middle of the pack. Hope the answers I gave you help solve the riddle as to why so many people don,t race pylons any more. I never said I was going to quit. I just said I wanted to take a brake.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:24 AM
Super Splatter

I must admit this hobby takes it's toll on my mind sometimes, that's why I like these little things.

When I get mad at them I can throw them in the closet, out of sight , out of mind. Try doing that with Hobby stock car.

For the NCPL we keep stats on all of our races. If anyone cares, I've entered 93 races, competed in 481 heats, and 21 midairs OUCH
Old 07-12-2006, 11:49 AM
TIA

Dan,

I don't know how many people I can speak for or can relate to this but, myself, I'm a newbie, have raced and practiced a few times on the pylon course, & would love to get out and race more often but have a few things that impede this.

First off, my wife lost her job and I am the sole source of income now. My career takes a lot of my time working from 6AM to 6 or 8pm Mon-Fri. and a Saturday every once or twice per month. I am frightful that I'll lose my job due to layoffs or something now that the pressure is on so I'm putting in every extra effort I can to make this job work and to stand out to be recognized. My boss sees this & gives me more projects to work on. Aren't bosses great???

I have two children ages 2 1/2 and 8 months. Takes lots of time as well to watch so the wifey can drive around & get her things done.

We bought a California house that needs TLC. (That's the only way we could afford w/o spending 3/4 of a mil.) I'm always getting orders to repair something, mow the lawn, fix a sprinkler, install baby locks on something, change oil or repair/tune up the cars, go to Home Depot to buy paint & supplies for this & that or put a new screen door on cuz the dog jumped through it yada yada yada.... (Life in general.)

Believe it or not, it is just really difficult to fit a whole day in to race with the planes. And I don't know about you guys but you can't just pull a plane off the shelf, race it, and put it back on the shelf till next time. There is time needing to be spent getting everything in order and ready, also some upkeep or minor repairs from the last race.....

I don't know how you guys do it. I love pylon racing and am trying to work it into my schedule, but so far have been unsuccessful.

Maybe I'm just a rare case?
Old 07-12-2006, 08:14 PM
BUDMAN27

No your the norm.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:34 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

Reno,

That's life man. It actually sounds a lot like mine.

One thing I do know that some contributors to this forum seem to forget is that racing toy airplanes is a HOBBY. At least for me it is. When it becomes too much work and aggravation then I take a break. Sometimes my breaks are self imposed, other times circumstances mandate my breaks.

That's also why you'll probably never see my name in the top-ten at a major contest. But for me, winning isn't everything. I still have fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.