Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

Viper engine/prop questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 08:24 PM
Duane-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viper engine/prop questions

A few questions...

I have a newer ST .45 on the Viper right now, does not seem very fast to me, it seems a TT .40 is around the same speed. No radar to prove anything, just guessing. Here are the props, any guesses how fast it might be?
9X7 apc seems to be the best, tried 9x8, 8.75X8 and M/A 10x6 (no apc to try) The 10x6 sounded real good, but the plane didn't seem fast at all. All props were around 16,200-16,500 on the ground, all airspeeds seemed close. I know there are formulas for figuring speed/prop/rpm, but I'm looking here for the real world estimates. 15 percent nitro and a Jett muffler too.
I guess if that's as good as it gets, I'll put the new TT.40 pro on it, and the St on something else (like a trainer!)

Also, is the Rossi pylon .40 any good? I do have one of those in the box, I know they won't keep up with Jetts/Nelsons (cause I don't see them at the races!) But I'm just looking for the best way to get some speed for practice, nothing legal with this plane for now.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:41 PM
BUDMAN27

Default RE: Viper engine/prop questions

Most of my Vipers have 40 engines. and 9x6 apc prop. If you want to get some more speed and not empty out your wallet then I would suggest you get a Nelson pipe for it. I take it you have not raced 424.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:36 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The interesting thing here you can do anything you want if rules compliance is not an issue. It seems to me that the 9-7 would probably be one of the better choices. I think you need to start with an objective....How fast do you want to go? How much money are you willing to spend? Or do you want to get as fast as you can with what you have? Definately stick with APC props. If it were me (and it's not) I would put the TT .40 on it with an APC 9-6, make it legal and go enter some races. That TT will get it close to 125mph. Pretty fast.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:41 AM
MyWay

Duane. I use Bolly 9 1/2 x 7 and APC 9 1/2 x 8. They seem to pull harder than anything I have tried.

Old 07-17-2006, 06:26 PM
Duane-RCU

I'm trying to go as fast as I can with what I have right now. Just playing around more than anything. Curious around what speed I'm at now with this set-up. I was thinking if the TT was good for around 110mph, I was wanting around 125 (?) or a little more with the ST .45. It swings a 9x7 around the same rpm as the 9x6 on the TT, so I figured that had to be better. My personal findings are to practice much faster than you race, and I seem to adjust faster that way, that's why I use a big shot of nitrous on the Mustang too. Why does it matter that I have not raced 424? It's a road trip for that around here, so that's why for now, I'm looking to go "cheap" fast. I do have everything needed to go 424, even checked out Witchita Fall's last race, Joe flew, I did not. Next time I'm pretty sure I will, I only found out about the race 3 days before, and was not set-up or ready.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:38 PM
BUDMAN27

Well the reason I ask is because over the years of racing. I have learn a great deal from my pears. So if you just fly in your back yard its going to make it hard to rely see what the racing guys are doing. You can read all the stuff you want here on the net , but its not the same as being there.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:45 PM
daven

Budman,

You are absolutely correct.

Bench racing does very little, getting out with those actually racing will teach you far more.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:10 AM
Duane-RCU

Well, I have been club racing for several years, just not Vipers, we race a club plane. Bench racing from this forum has helped me in great leaps, even though planes/engines are not the same, the principles are still applied. What helped me too is flying the Viper, and putting more power to the club plane (not a legal engine) When you can fly the course way faster than what the legal plane will fly, that helps me. Then, in the race, everything seems (because it is!) lots slower. Another thing I read here is practice, practice, practice! Now all of a sudden I'm only supposed to race? Sorry for wasting everyone's time...
Old 07-18-2006, 09:08 AM
TIA

I never learned anything from a pear.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:43 AM
daven

Bench racing is fine, but you will learn more actually doing it.

You are not wasting anyones time.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:31 PM
Clark L

Practice is important, get all you can. However, I feel the best practice you can get is in a race. You'll learn so much more, it's just a completely different environment from practicing alone. If you want to improve, never pass up a race...

[sm=cool.gif]
Old 07-18-2006, 12:38 PM
garys

Clark,
You don't need to improve any more, so feel free to pass up some races....[>:]
GS
Old 07-18-2006, 08:55 PM
BUDMAN27

Going to a race is what I call practicing. Fling the course all by myself is boring. I,m sorry you misunderstood me. You have never wasted my time. If you want to talk racing on this net. For god sake be my guess.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:19 PM
Clark L

Gary, very funny. However, I think I need all the races I can get, I'm tired of always being back in the "bad air".........

Clark
Old 07-19-2006, 08:36 PM
BUDMAN27

Reno I,m glad to see you are spell checking me. I did learn how to fish on a pear.[sm=drowning.gif]
Old 07-19-2006, 11:15 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

Budman,

You are truly without pear!
Old 07-20-2006, 08:51 PM
BUDMAN27

Yep.