Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

Outsider comments Q40/500 Van Nuys

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 01:08 PM
ecoliburger
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outsider comments Q40/500 Van Nuys

I was on a business trip last weekend in Southern CA. Noticed on these forums that there was going to be a race in Van Nuys, thought I would check it out. All I can say is Wow, very interesting and exciting, my wife even enjoyed watching the racing.
I have been flying rc for a number of years, even have a predII with a Jett that I built just to go fast. Being a total outsider to pylon racing and attending the event has lead me to share some comments, mainly because I am interested in participating.

After looking around the web even the NMPRA site it seems to me there is a lack of an "beginner start here" sticky. I had a hard time even figuring out which region CA was in. There is a speed secret sticky on this forum I think a newbe sticky would be great. Something that would answer questions that I have and I am sure other guys have; How do I get started? Can I just buy a Q40 plane and a nelson, show up at a race and fly? Do I need to have my own helper/launcher or do you guys help each other out? Didn't see anyone near the pylons how do you tell if someone has cut? How do you practice, what kind of servos, fuel, props etc?

I guess there were about 40 racers this weekend is this pretty much the same crowd at all the races? Do you get many new guys?

Old 04-25-2007, 01:58 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Outsider comments Q40/500 Van Nuys

Glad you liked the races, and you asked some very good questions.

I'm really not aware of a "Beginner Start Here" sticky anywhere, but it is a great idea.

Anyone want to get the ball rolling?
Old 04-25-2007, 02:21 PM
T34RACING

Since your located in Fairfield, you may contact MitchWest, Ken Busse , or Jim Russo at the EBRC club in Livermore. I am not sure what dates they have set aside, but I think once a month they put up pylons and race Q-500 only for pure fun. I havent been to a race yet, but I am not sure they even keep points. This would be a start.

As to getting started, the best thing is to start shooting questions at everyone. You may get a million different answers because everyone has their own way of doing things. I tend to watch the top guys and learn from them. As for sources, you can visit the following sites:

Flyfastcomposites.com ( Neme Q )
SuperTRC.com
H & M racing
Darrolcady.com
Bruce De Chastel
California Speed Pros
Performance Specialties
Jett Engineering

I would be more than happy to help you with what I can. I took this year off from flying AMA pylon. I hope to be back in it next year. I have 9 races I am running this year with Two-pole pylon and participating in many more. If you interested in that, shoot me a email. Racing is racing!!!!

Kevin Norred
(408) 482-5437
[email protected]

T34racing.com
NorredAeroProducts.com
Old 05-01-2007, 05:18 PM
Yo! Team Green

Ecoli. Very happy to hear that you and your wife (caller?) had fun. Your idea of a sticky for new folks is a good one.

To answer your specific questions…
1) Racing is open to anyone who is an AMA member. Regarding the race that you saw in Van Nuys, I believe they ran AMA classes 424 (Sport Quickie), 428 (Quickie 500), and 422 (Quarter 40). MOST people start in 424 where an airplane like your Predator with a Thunder Tiger Pro 40 would be very competitive. I would recommend that you give that a shot before you jump into the other classes.

2) You do not necessarily need to bring your own helper/caller. There will ALWAYS be someone who will call for you if you cannot bring someone (what’s your wife doing on that weekend?). By the way, I know of 4 VERY successful husband/wife teams that race around the country. Down the road you will want to ‘hook-up’ with someone so that you can grow into a ‘team’. Consistency is very important on the racecourse. What is you wife going to be doing on those race weekends? Bring her out, get her flying, and call for each other.

3) The judges on a 3-pole course are placed 300’ off the course in position to see if a pilot cuts. The judges will typically signal that a cut occurred by flipping a switch to turn on a ‘cut’ light or by using a walkie-talkie to notify the ‘cut’ light operator. The 300’ setback is for the judges’ safety.

4) I personally fly at a club with a large flying site and can sometimes go out and fly an imaginary race course around myself. That is not always possible at typical club sites. People practice as best they can.

5) Servos are a topic of many discussions here and elsewhere. Most people will start out in 424 with standard sport servos or something a little smaller like the Hitec 225. Pilots in the faster classes will always use something faster, stronger, and more precise. I use JR 3121’s for the v-tail and JR 9411 for the ailerons on my 428 planes.

6) Fuel is pretty standardized. Every race that I have attended has used PowerMaster 15%. When you attend a race, they will usually provide all of the fuel for all of the racers so everyone is using the same stuff.

7) AMA class 424 specifies that everyone will use the APC 9x6 prop. The other classes have a wide range of prop options. Part of the learning curve for newer racers is figuring out which prop will make his/her engine happy on any given day.

All of the specific rules for each of these classes can be found on the AMA website. Look under “Publications”, then select “Competition Regulations”, then “Radio Control Racing”, the scroll down to find the rules for the different classes.

As you will find out, there are many other types of racing out there as well. Some are slower and more economical, some use smaller engines and airframes, some race on 2-pole courses, some race warbirds, and some race giant scale aircraft. One thing to remember is; racing is racing – and it’s all fun.

Feel free to post more questions out here any time. Racers generally enjoy helping others that are interested.
>Thom
Old 05-01-2007, 06:04 PM
djlyon

Good bunch of answers.
At the race in VanNuys the #1 pylon judges (4 of them) were at the #1 end of the flight line back by the toilets. They turned on turn lights and cut lights on the big board by the #1 pylon. To answer your next question the pilot does not have to fly around that pylon just by it. This is all about safety and not hitting or even scaring the judges. The pylon 3 judge (just 1) was setting on a rased platform in about the middle of the flight line. From there he can easily see when a plane cuts pylon 3. The pylon 2 judge (just 1) was about 100yds past the left end of the flight line under a tarp with nobody to talk to and nothing to do but watch planes. In addition to those there were 4 lap counters at the left end of the flight line right in line with the start finish line. They counted laps, got stop watch times and posted cuts. In all 12 workers were used to run a heat including the starter and his helper, but not including the score keeper and CD.

Denis
Old 05-01-2007, 06:28 PM
djlyon

There was actually about 46 enteries in all 3 events combined 424,428 and 422 (Q40). The total number was about nominal. We prefer to see the count between 50 and 60 each day We raced Saturday and Sunday. Each day was a separate race. New guys are picked up each year here and are very, very welcome. They are the life blood.

Even if you are a proficient flyer and comfortable with high speed planes I think any of us would recommend starting with 424. It's good racing and they are fast enough to give you an initial speed racing thrill and give you the oppertunity to get comfortable with racing a 3 pole course with three other planes and knowing what to expect out there. Not being sure of what to expect at 428 or 422 speeds can be a little annoying. Also learning how to trim these things by flying not just reading instructions.

I like the beginner sticky idea
Old 05-01-2007, 06:38 PM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ecoli,

Welcome to the monkey house ... Regarding operation of the race, the AMA rulebook has an "Addendum A" toward the end that explains what all the officials are supposed to be doing. As a new competitor, it may help you to know what the judges are looking for and what to expect when you're out on the racecourse. Here's the link: http://www.modelaircraft.org/comp/07...C%20Racing.pdf .

It's a pleasant surprise that your wife enjoyed watching the race. For some of us, bringing the "significant other" to her first race ends up being our last date. [&o]

Duane Gall
RCPRO
Old 05-03-2007, 09:31 AM
ecoliburger
My Feedback: (18)

Thanks for all the great comments so far. Wife enjoyed watching the race but getting her involved? That might be a different story. Besides half of the fun of RC is getting away from the wife......dont tell her I said that.