Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

OS .46 AX Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 12:44 PM
DonStegall
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS .46 AX Muffler

I've never owned an OS .46 AX until last week. I broke it in this weekend and was planning to use a Macs Muffler on it, as that is what I used during break-in.

But the PowerBox muffler looks pretty decent.

Do they stay together when used for racing, or do I need to glue it together or do other prep?
Old 05-21-2007, 12:56 PM
Super Splatter

Default RE: OS .46 AX Muffler

6-32 threaded rod and 2 ny-lock nuts , torqued properly , too tight and the aluminum expands and breaks the rod.

6-32 blind nuts and peening them also works

I also use wire and tie them together as a safety measure to keep the end on in case the rod does bust.

Put a 10-7 APC for quickie

I had a WM Bipe and used a 12-5 , slowed real nice on down legs
Old 05-21-2007, 01:04 PM
DonStegall

Thanks Jesse.

Interesting that you mentioned the WM bipe. I've got a couple in stock and I'm going to put one together. Was this one of the white/yellow, white/purple, or one of the older ones?
Old 05-21-2007, 01:48 PM
Super Splatter

Yes, the newer ones, yellow.

I mounted it inverted, used the stock muffler, needed the extension piece, same as an FX extension

But with the muffler sticking out that far lateral balance was shot to heck, I put 3/8oz lead on the opposite interplane strut and it was a happy camper.

I liked it because it does take off and land on short runways real nice , The ABS is the right application for wheel pants, kinda rubbery

With the AX , you gotta put the battery under the canopy(spelling..)
Old 05-21-2007, 07:56 PM
DonStegall

I have a Hanger 9 Twist 3D 40 that I've had problems with engine runs on. I took out the tank and checked it for leaks. I even put the test-stand broken-in Tower .46 ABC back on the test stand. No problems on the test stand at all. But I never could get the engine to run well enough to even start to do aerobatics. And I had quite a few dead stick landings. I've run several of the Tower engines a lot on other planes, but mostly at full throttle, with no problems.

I took the Tower engine off when I got home from work. I put the OS .46 AX on, but I couldn't use the Macs Muffler without grinding the fuselage side, and I didn't want bare wood there. So I went ahead and put the stock Power Box muffler on. After dinner I put the wing on and started the plane up in the driveway. Now it would continue running at all attitudes. So I walked down to the field and got a nice sunset flight in. No more problems. Tight loops, hovering, etc, and it ran great.

I will probably just run the muffler stock as it came from the factory and see how it holds up.

I got a Magnum 52 four stroke to try out while they are on sale. Maybe I have or haven't learned my lesson about low price engines. I had planned to put it on a white/yellow WM Ultimate 40. I will see how it does on the test stand before putting in in the bipe. But after this brief experience with the AX, maybe I'll put an AX on it instead. I know you guys seem to have good luck with them in Minnesota. I will use after-run at the end of each flying session though.

I have to admit I'm planning to put an OS .46 AX on a Sky Raider Mach II. I've had a hard time getting guys around here to buy .40 engines for their Club 40 planes. They all are surprised by the performance I get from the Thunder Tiger Pro 40, but it seems everyone has a .46 they are willing to put on a cheap plane. So I'm going to equip one of my Club 40 planes with a .46 for demo and fun flying purposes.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:26 PM
happypappy
My Feedback: (10)

If you want to free up some horsepower in the AX go to the Tower muffler or a GMS 47 muffler(same as the Tower) and that engine comes alive pretty well.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:48 PM
JPGale

I had my muffler welded, the one thing I will say is that the skyraider mk2 is a great plane but I would be careful running such a powerful engine on it, I know someone who runs a 46AX and uses a 12x4N APC to stop the engine ripping the plane up. Great engine thou.